2004 GC Limited V8 - Good Deal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > 2004 GC Limited V8 - Good Deal

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-06-2014, 08:14 AM   #1
Bowson

2004 GC Limited V8 - Good Deal

Just wondering your thoughts as it seems this is a steal. Do you suspect anything may be wrong here?

Any questions I should ask? Anything I should be on the lookout for?
Are those tires any good?

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/m...318349597.html

Bowson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 06:12 PM   #2
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If you look at KBB, NADA, Edmunds they will give average local prices for this vehicle for you.

For instance, KBB shows this vehicle (a 2WD I assume) to sell for $6,500 from an individual in my area, so the price is not out of line; BUT... Go over it carefully. Rust is a major concern, especially underneath.

Also do a Carfax report on this car to make sure that it is not a salvage unit or something worse.

If all of that is clear, then drive it yourself and see what you think. Does it start, go, turn and stop without vibrations, shimmy or noises.

You can expect some problem somewhere if the price seems too good to be true.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 06:47 AM   #3
Bowson

I actually drove it yesterday and EVERYTHING checked out. I think this is one of the instances where the guy truly doesn't know what it's worth. Car drives perfect on the highway, no clunking when turning, didn't see any rust anywhere, everything works on the inside (A/C, stereo, sunroof, 4x4). No leaking anywhere.
Plus the V8 has a nice kick to it.
Two small dings on the car, one of which I am worried will eventually rust up.
I basically told him that if he gets the Jeep inspected and I run the carfax and there aren't any major issues, then we are good to go. Also got him down to $5,500. Too good of a deal to pass up IMO.

I was also interested in this 2002 GC Overland with 57k miles for $8,400 (little pricey but damn nice Jeep).
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...iedOnly=false&
Unread 02-08-2014, 08:02 AM   #4
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If you are happy with your test drive and have checked out carefully underneath for rust, I would go with the Limited. Save the $2900 difference in the Overland for contingencies. Good luck, and keep us posted.
Unread 02-08-2014, 08:19 PM   #5
Bowson

Guy got back to me regarding the vin #.
He said "just got home and have the title. It says salvage title bc it was rebuilt. This was how I bought it"

Bummer :-(

It drove really well.

I need to pass on this right?
Unread 02-09-2014, 01:30 PM   #6
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowson View Post
Guy got back to me regarding the vin #.
He said "just got home and have the title. It says salvage title bc it was rebuilt. This was how I bought it"

Bummer :-(

It drove really well.

I need to pass on this right?
You got THAT right!
Unread 02-10-2014, 06:47 AM   #7
Bowson

Yea he's been trying to convince me that the car is great and that it's a good deal, etc.
All of the "signs" now point to him hiding something the whole time and it all seems to make sense.
Bummer as I liked the Jeep and was ready to pick up this weekend (assuming everything checked out).

Thanks for the help!
Unread 02-10-2014, 08:55 PM   #8
rstantoniii
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowson
Guy got back to me regarding the vin #. He said "just got home and have the title. It says salvage title bc it was rebuilt. This was how I bought it" Bummer :-( It drove really well. I need to pass on this right?
For sure. Avoid that thing like the plague..
rstantoniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2014, 08:23 AM   #9
Adam013085

I wouldn't avoid it JUST because of the rebuilt title. Id take it to a mechanic and have them look it over and also see when the title was rebuilt. If it was rebuilt in 2008 or something and does not show any signs now it can still be a nice vehicle. Keep in mind when you go to sell it though you will get maybe 70% of its value, however if you buy it cheap or don't intend to sell it its not a big deal. Before you do all this Id check with your insurance because not all insurances will insure rebuilt vehicles and also if you need a loan some banks won't loan either.
Adam013085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2014, 07:10 AM   #10
Bowson

Yea I'm just going to pass all together.
If this guy was initially trying to hide that it was salvage (despite the vehicle actually running well) then he's def a shady cat and trying to hide something.
In addition, I actually tried to get a hold of him to see why the Jeep was salvage and the damage......no answer.

PASS!
Unread 02-12-2014, 07:21 AM   #11
Adam013085

Yeah I ran into the same issue with the seller trying to hide a salvage title. I ran the VIN, told him it was salvage and he acted like he was surprised to hear that... I did not think about the honesty part. I'd pass too. Good luck finding the grand you are looking for.
Adam013085 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.