2001 XJ Sport, real clean..what do? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 06-09-2016, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
2001 XJ Sport, real clean..what do?

Hi all,
New to the forum and after spending hours reading about the cracked 0331 heads on the 00-02 Jeeps, I decided to sign up and ask for some advice.

I've been looking for a clean XJ for a first car. Clean is tough around where I live, so this one was is a rarity. I got real excited and started reading up, and sure enough I discovered this issue that *seems* to be common.

I'm having trouble however putting it all into perspective. I read a ton of "cracked head" *bad* reviews online, but someone had mentioned that usually you hear more about the bad, less about the good.

I really don't know what percentage of these 00-02 XJs have had/will have the cracked head issue.

Anyway, here is a link to the photo album of the Jeep I'm looking at. I knew it seemed too good to be true at $2500(?)...

Here are the details the seller wrote me...Sounds great, but I'm reluctant to even bother now? It's a decent trip to go take a look, of course will look for coolant in the oil and pressure.. But...thoughts?

*very good condition
*title is clean and clear.
*145,347 miles on it
*6 cyl 4.0 engine, 4wd, 4 speed automatic transmission
*ac and heat works , all power options works ,leather seats, cruise control, CD,2" trailer hitch with reese tongue and ball
*like new 235/75R15 Goodyear Duratracs
*it was inspected in June last year.
*Overall is in great condition except some minor dings and scratches.
*The windows professionally tinted
*installed a new headliner
*upgraded the weak factory headlights by replacing the wiring harness/relays/bulbs/housings (headlights are SUPER BRIGHT now!), *installed Wet Okole neoprene waterproof front seat covers that come with heated seats.
*Weather tech laser-fitted floor liners in the front and rear floorboards! *The custom-built a storage cabinet from the trunk it comes with the jeep.I have incorporated a butane stove in one of the drawers that runs on readily-available butane canisters.

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 Old 06-09-2016, 02:18 AM
I think you have no choice but to buy it. First thing I am seeing is that is has front and transfer case skid plates. Does it have a gas tank skid? Looks clean as hell. OK so those impostor wheel covers need to go. Has the head rest front buckets. I want them. OK the front valance and license plate bracket needs to be tightened up a bit. Looks like it is missing the license plate bracket. Is the rear sagging? Look through the oil filler cap and see if you can see the letters TUPY. This would indicate a replaced head. Good thing. Get it nice and hot. See what the oil pressure is at a very hot idle. Give you an idea about the head. Maybe. What does it have for front and rear diffs. Might have a D35. Less desirable then an 8.25 but not a deal breaker. Especially if you are not going to really wheel her. I think I see ABS. Personally don't care for it but that is just me. What is the transfer case? Is it a Select A Trac? Would be more desirable to me because my Jeep is just a daily driver and just want to get around when the weather is bad. Not that it really matters but see what the front seats look like under the seat covers. Also explore a possible heat soak issue. When you get the Jeep nice and hot to check the oil pressure at a very hot idle shut her down. Restart her about 15-20 minutes later. She starts smooth that is a better sign. Starts all rough for a few then maybe. Google heat soak. Look for the heat shield on the top of the intake manidfold. Last think that I am noticing is the cat. I am under the impression that all '01's are CA emissions and that does not look right to me. That looks more like a Federal Emissions set up. See what the sticker in the engine compartment says. Wondering if somebody has done something in there. I own an '00 with CA Emissions. I know that they did make Federal Emissions '00's. CA Emissions while not a deal breaker per say can be a PITA. Sorry for the verbal vomit just typed things as they came into my head.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.