2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-30-2011, 01:53 PM   #1
Vacabck
2001 XJ Cherokee 

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

I am about to take my first leap into a Jeep, been a long time coming. Buying one that will be a daily driver, not too many miles per day and very little real wear and tear. Will be upgrading it slowly to a trail jeep for future family adventures, thus I'm looking at an XJ and not a TJ.

I know it's not a lot to go on, but here goes

http://columbiamo.craigslist.org/ctd/2536701697.html

170k miles on it. From just a quick look at it on my lunch hour, the black on the bumpers is fading pretty good, the wheels look like there is some kind of oxidation or something on them, not really rust but they don't look good in spots. It did look "clean".

I am planning on looking at it again tonight after they close and seeing what's underneath it. Anything in particular that I need to look for, I am going to check for as much rust as I possibly can, but what are the trouble spots on these Jeeps.

Thanks for your time.

Vacabck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2011, 02:05 PM   #2
R U STUCK
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I am partial to the '01's just because that is when they killed the poor XJ. But anyhow the oxidization you see on the wheels is from everybody using the "Liquids Salts (Anti road freeze)" and it destroys wheels. If you can grab it for $3,600 to $4,100 IF it runs and drives ok. And no rust frame wise. I would go for it. The 5 mark is a little high for the miles. But if it is in good shape, why not?
Unread 08-30-2011, 02:40 PM   #3
Vacabck
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I like the look of the '01s compared to any others that I have checked out so far as well. The wheel oxidation makes sense, thanks for that info, makes me wonder where the Jeep came from, I can't imagine the wheels getting that way around here unless the previous owner just absolutely never cleaned them off. Oh well, new wheels and tires would probably be the first thing to change anyway.

If everything looks okay when I get under it tonight, I do plan on driving it tomorrow. There is a '99 about an hour south of me that looks a lot cleaner with fewer miles, but for some reason I don't like the red on it as much as I like the blue, but if it's a better Jeep I can live with the Red, but first things first, gotta drive the '01.

http://springfield.craigslist.org/ctd/2550020017.html

Oh one other thing, it seems horribly hard to find these in a manual transmission, did they just not exist?
Unread 08-30-2011, 03:31 PM   #4
R U STUCK
2004 TJ Wrangler 

They exist in manuals. Just hard to find. And the ones you do find will be most likely a two door. Happy Shopping. Hope you narrow it down and become a XJ owner.
Unread 08-30-2011, 07:33 PM   #5
Vacabck
2001 XJ Cherokee 

2001 Cherokee Sport

Wheels, all of them pretty well looked like this

Driver side front

Back

Oil

Front

Will probably still drive it tomorrow, but after getting under it and seeing the oil and rust, I'd have to be pretty blown away to offer them $3000 at this point. But who knows, maybe it runs like a champ.
Unread 08-31-2011, 05:38 AM   #6
rsurran
2005 WK 

My advice, go look at the 99. The 99 is regarded as one of the best overall model years. The 00 and 01 Jeeps have the 0331 head which is prone to cracking when overheated, some say it is a sure thing. This particular 99 looks clean but you have to do your rust inspection and drive test. If I had it to do over again I would be looking for a clean 99.

Dick Surran

"When you stop contributing you are just taking up space."
rsurran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 07:50 PM   #7
njfreekshow
1999 XJ Cherokee 

id suggest going with a 99 for what is listed above...plus i love mine lol but i'd look over the frame real well for any rust, check out the engine as much as you can to see where any oil is leaking, and if youre going to wheel it check out what kind of axles it has. i know my 99 came with the crysller 8.25 which is suppose to be stronger then the dana 35 so you wont have to worry about abusing it too much since they fail more frequently (from what ive been told). dont rush into buying one, take your time and research it out.
Unread 09-01-2011, 10:52 PM   #8
Vacabck
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the information folks, I appreciate it, I've been scouring Missouri and a couple other states looking at what I want. Been tempted by a 5.9 on this site but I just can't pull the trigger for some reason, tried to talk my wife into a trip to Goshen, IN this weekend but she's not up for it and now this 5.2 pops up, I thought that Orvis' were only in that Green color but the carfax lists it as a limited/orvis.

http://pappastoyota.com/St-Peters-Mi...d-SUV/3032399/

Certified 1-owner vehicle and that's a price I can live with and hope I get it for $3000 if it all looks nice. Get it for that and that leaves me 2k to do some modification to it. But man, that thing is red.

Also been looking at this one http://stlouis.craigslist.org/ctd/2562053563.html

Possibly looking at this one as well this weekend but the price seems a bit high to me, especially after finding this other one, although the other is a year older.

Time to get under a couple more Jeeps and see what happens.

Last edited by Vacabck; 09-01-2011 at 11:08 PM..
Unread 09-07-2011, 01:20 PM   #9
Vacabck
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Alright, so I found a 2001 Jeep Cherokee, 147,000 miles, clean with a 2.5" rouch country lift(about 2 1/2 yrs old), riding on 31" with about 75% tread left. New shocks all around, new gaskets, new coil pack. Asking $5250.

It's a bit newer than what I looked at this weekend but are there any trouble spots on the 2001's that I should double check? I'll do my crawl around again and drive and double check but I was just wondering if there was anything specific I should ask if he has had problems with or replaced. (edit: just remembered the cracked 0331 heads)

I drove a couple this weekend, the 98 Grand Limited that was listed above was just too beat up for me and a nice 1999 Cherokee Sport that the gentleman probably thought a bit too much of and he told me that much so I didn't even "insult" him with an offer. Also drove a '95 Grand Limited that was really really nice engine wise, but I just couldn't spend $3000 more than I spent on my truck of the same vintage a year ago.

My buying thread may end up as long as some build threads.

Last edited by Vacabck; 09-07-2011 at 01:38 PM..
Unread 09-07-2011, 02:00 PM   #10
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Don't be afraid to talk the seller down a bit. They build themselves some room to work with every time they price a vehicle. All the same, don't beat a seller up for fun on the price, they'll just take it as lowballing. Tell them why you think it's worth what you're offering (main seal leak on that first Chero for example) and be totally honest.

As other folks have said, keep your eyes on the information you have on hand. The more you pre-read, the better off you'll be buying, selling, and working on really any Jeep. Jeepforum is an awesome resource. Welcome to the forum!

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."
H. L. Mencken - US editor (1880 - 1956)

K.C.C.O. [url]www.thechive.com[/url]
hallsofstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2011, 06:36 PM   #11
njfreekshow
1999 XJ Cherokee 

whats your goal for the jeep? i only ask because i see youre looking at ZJs now. I would personally only buy a 5.9 if i could get a ZJ but thats me lol like hallsofstone said, dont be afraid to offer a lower price, the worse thing they could say is no. if they look shocked, explain thats what youd feel comfortable paying but you understand if its a lowball for them. once again, do not rush finding one, its not worth the headache in the end. my wife and i rushed getting her a TJ and we regret it because it has some bad frame rust. since you live in MO i'd look it over real good for rust, if you dont feel comfortable enough or want a 2nd oponion try and find a jeep owner local who'll come with you and give you a 2nd oponion. good luck nonetheless with whatever jeep you decide
Unread 09-08-2011, 06:35 AM   #12
Vacabck
2001 XJ Cherokee 

The goal for the Jeep is to be a daily driver/trail Jeep, not a rock crawler or anything like that by any means, but just a good trail Jeep. We don't do a lot of outdoor stuff but would like to do more of it and I know my wife doesn't want to turn her Pilot into anything that is off-road ready.

I really like the look of the XJs, always have, I was mainly looking at the ZJ's just to see how I liked them, thought about a 5.9 but I don't want to pay the premium gas bill that goes along with them, not that it is that much higher than the 5.2 but every little bit makes a difference. Looks wise I prefer the XJ, but engine wise I'd love to have the V8.
Unread 09-08-2011, 06:51 AM   #13
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Most of the rigs built in the build section are dual-purpose rigs dd/trail. Lots of folks like me and you want a do-it-all and the more common philosophy amongst Jeepers is "built is better than bought". Personal modifications are something that will give you a pride in your ride not to be found simply slapping cash on a counter. Trust me, you'll see what I mean.

Just a heads up, the 4.0L I6 motor found in those XJ's is easily one of the best motors ever to be designed and mass produced. They built and planted these in vehicles for over ten years with some changes to the peripheral parts, leaving the basic motor itself relatively unchanged. They are known to be reliable as a stone if well maintained and I regularly see Jeeps with the factory 4.0 in excess of 250,000 mi. Parts are common and the motor is pretty easy to work on. It has plenty of low end grunt and will turn huge tires if paired with the correct gearing. My bet is you'll love it just like we do. It weighs less than the average V8 and is no slouch, great for a trail/DD rig.

The only change I would do on a personal XJ would be swapping that auto trans for a AX-15 manual or NV3550. I get bored driving automatics...

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."

Unread 09-08-2011, 08:13 AM   #14
Vacabck
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Yup, the build section could get me in a heap of trouble. Been trolling through those quite a bit. I would love to buy stock and build, but right now I'm just looking for the best Jeep that I can find in my price range, if it happens to be one that someone has already wrenched on, that's cool, saves me money making some immediate changes and I can alway change it down the road a bit. I am by no means a guy who is a whiz with the wrench, but I am learning a bit, almost enough to be dangerous. But I have a couple good people behind me always making sure that I am doing things right or taking over when I am unsure of what to do. So there is another reason for the I6 motor, I'd assume it a bit more mechanic "friendly" than the V8.

I would love to find a 5-speed XJ, that would make my day, but so far I haven't had much luck at all with anything close.
Unread 09-08-2011, 10:11 AM   #15
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Probably 90% of of the folks on this forum are not what could be called a "whiz" with a wrench...most are self taught. I grew up on a farm, so knowing mechanical stuff was a MUST and I'm lucky for it. If you're inclined, you'll learn rapidly. Especially having all the information at your fingertips on JF and having a couple good folks looking over your shoulder.

Beware backwoods booty-fabbed mods and rickety stuff on previously modded Jeeps. Knowing the difference between cobbed up mods and clean, quality mods will be the key to making sure you don't buy a money pit. If it's even questionable...don't question it. Simply forget it. With stock Jeeps you know right where you're at.

Don't feel daunted by the task of swapping in a manual transmission on a desireable XJ. It's rather involved but plenty of folks do it all the time (check for threads on this...lots of walkthru's out there) and if you get a good deal on the Jeep itself, make that your first mod. Everything else will seem like a real breeze!

Found these for you:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/t...ks-tsbs-89273/
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...ssion_AX15.pdf
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/ax15.htm
aaaaand.........
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/a...thread-258497/

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.