2001 Grand Cherokee or 2005 Grand Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > 2001 Grand Cherokee or 2005 Grand Cherokee

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-29-2014, 08:21 AM   #1
Bowson

2001 Grand Cherokee or 2005 Grand Cherokee

I'm looking to buy a relatively inexpensive used Jeep Grand Cherokee.
I've done some research and it seems the old GC (1999-2004) are just great, reliable, and their engines are "bulletproof". The 2001 I'm looking at is a V6 with only 100k miles. Excellent condition with 1 owner.
The other Jeep is a 2005 GC Limited. Roughly 80k miles. Rocky Mountain Edition (love the seats and the stereo system is a plus).

One is roughly double in price than the other.

Can you guys please give me some advice on which one you might go for? I'm moving to the city and drive under 5 miles/day. Nothing. I don't want to buy an "expensive" Jeep then worry about the city parking and it getting dinged up (this is why I'm leaning towards the 2001).
On the other hand, the newer 2005 looks so nice and has awesome options.

Any reliability issues with either Jeep I should know about? Any tips on what to look for when test driving these two Jeeps?

Thanks for your help guys...and gals.

Bowson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2014, 06:37 AM   #2
Bowson

I also wanted to point out that the 2005 Grand Cherokee was in a front end accident. 2 owner vehicle but after the accident it appears it was traded in.
The Jeep comes with a 4500/3mo warranty.
I saw the Jeep buyers guide in the forums for all the tips when test driving.

Should I be concerned about this Jeep at all? It's listed for a REALLY good price and has 75k miles. Pictures are detailed and show the Jeep is in EXCELLENT condition (does have a tear in the drivers side seat leather - dealer said he'd fix it).
Unread 01-31-2014, 07:25 AM   #3
98TJcomeonuh
2005 LJ Wrangler 

My wife has an 05 GC, she loves it. When we were looking i found an 04(which is a WJ) it had the 4.0, 4x4, and just over 65k miles. The 05 is just a 2wd, has a the 3.7, and when we bought it had just over 80k miles. I tired and tired and tired to convince her to get the 04, telling her about the 4.0, the last year it and the straight axle up front were offered in the GC but she wanted the new body style. The main computer in the 05 has messed up twice, which isn't a cheap fix and I'm afraid it might still be. I kick myself everyday for not getting the 04, it was $12,000 at a dealer ad the 05 was $9,500. I don't know if the computer issue happens a lot in the 05 model or not. Other than the computer, it's been a good jeep.
98TJcomeonuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2014, 08:09 AM   #4
Bowson

Yea thanks for the information.
The 05 is so pretty - limited, 4.7 v8, rocky mountain edition, 75k miles, for under $10,000. Like I said, tear in the seat and was previously in a front end accident but has since been fixed completely. I asked the dealer several questions and he assures me it runs perfect and no mechanical issues whatsoever. I'm still concerned but I'm going to go look at it tomorrow.

If I'm not completely sold on it, then I'm probably just going to go back to a 2000-2004 GC.
Unread 01-31-2014, 10:36 AM   #5
2ndhandWJman
2003 WJ 

Lets start off by telling you that the 4.0 engine in the 1999-2004 Jeeps is an inline "L" 6, not a V6. The WJ uses solid axles with coil spring suspension, front and rear. The WK uses an independent front suspension and a solid rear axle with coil springs. There's tons of "discussions" about the merits of each suspension system.

I'd personally be leery about what any dealership tells you about a vehicle that was crashed, fixed, then traded in and being sold at a relative cheap price. If you are really considering buying it, take it to a frame alignment shop and have it thoroughly checked out. There's a great shop on Harford Rd, just inside of the city line called Frame-rite, they have the proper equipment to measure a frame to see if it's bent or if there's other hidden issues. They saved me one time from making a very expensive mistake.
2ndhandWJman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2014, 01:21 PM   #6
Bowson

I actually scheduled an appt to take it to a Jeep dealership to have a pre-purchase inspection. I'm sure they'll tell me the scoop in the Jeep and give me an honest 3rd party opinion. Still waiting to hear back from the dealer to see if they'd let me do that. Not sure why they wouldn't.........if it passes the inspection then I'm going to buy it.
Unread 02-01-2014, 07:25 AM   #7
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The prior front end accident would put that vehicle out of the running for me. There are too many of these out there being sold for you to settle for a repaired vehicle. Also re-think buying from a dealership. Most have no compulsion against sugar coating all of their comments on what they are selling. Use Carfax rather than listening to a salesman.

I wouldn't waste my time driving this to a mechanic to inspect the repair on the collision. I would keep looking elsewhere.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2014, 08:40 AM   #8
Bowson

I went to take a look at the 2005 GC. Piece of ****.
Too many problems to list. I think the dealer was a little scummy.
Since it was in a front end accident, I really looked over the Jeep.
1. Front grill was a 2oz piece of plastic that wasn't even installed correctly. Cheap part.
2. Speakers sounded like they were blown (this is a Rocky Mountain Ed).
3. Car turn signal clicks when you turn left (dealer said he ordered the part and it's an easy fix but I don't believe him).
4. Steering wheel was DISGUSTING.
5. Seat was ripped and dealer basically told me he's not going to fix it.

Pretty pissed I drove 2 hours to look at this car and they didn't disclose these problems to me when I asked. I also wasn't too impressed with the interior. Looks cheap.

Despite all of this, I'm going to look for either an earlier model GC (2000-2004) or Toyota 4Runner.
Unread 02-05-2014, 06:52 AM   #9
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Good call. Now you can have some fun finding the perfect GC. I would forget the used car dealers. #1 rule is to get you in the dealership. You won't find out anything detrimental on the phone from a used car dealer. Most of them will be a waste of time, just like this one was for you.
First thing: Learn all you can about the GC. This forum is a perfect place to start.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/

Then start searching locally on Craigslist and auto sales websites. The more you learn about what you are buying the less likely you are to be taken to the cleaners.

Become the expert and you will end up buying exactly what you need.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 06:57 AM   #10
Bowson

Good Info!
Question: As far as reliability goes - is there a difference between the I6 and the V8 for the 2000-2004 GC?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.