2000 and 2001 Jeep XJs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > 2000 and 2001 Jeep XJs

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 12-09-2007, 03:23 PM   #1
fastredjeep
1986 XJ Cherokee 

2000 and 2001 Jeep XJs

Here are some pics of two Jeep Cherokees that I'm looking at.

How much would you expect to pay for them? Thanks in advance for your help.

The green one is a 2000 and has some very minor bend on the back panel near the bumper. It has 72,610 miles and is an automatic. The tread is about at 35% and the interior is in good shape. The same car lot has another XJ for $50 less and it is completely stock, so I was thinking this one might have something wrong that just a casual glance could not pick up. Mopar tow setup.

The blue one is a 2001 and has (from the looks, didn't inspect this one first hand) a really good exterior and interior condition. Not sure on tire condition, but this one looks to have been not used off road much if at all. It has 63,559 miles and is also an automatic.

fastredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2007, 03:44 PM   #2
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastredjeep
Here are some pics of two Jeep Cherokees that I'm looking at.

How much would you expect to pay for them? Thanks in advance for your help.

The green one is a 2000 and has some very minor bend on the back panel near the bumper. It has 72,610 miles and is an automatic. The tread is about at 35% and the interior is in good shape. The same car lot has another XJ for $50 less and it is completely stock, so I was thinking this one might have something wrong that just a casual glance could not pick up. Mopar tow setup.

The blue one is a 2001 and has (from the looks, didn't inspect this one first hand) a really good exterior and interior condition. Not sure on tire condition, but this one looks to have been not used off road much if at all. It has 63,559 miles and is also an automatic.

click free
4.6L Golen Engine Stroker

6.5" TnT Customs Longarm Kitl Ford HP D60 l 6.5" Rock Krawler Coils l TnT Customs HD Trac Barl Omix Ada HD SYE l 1" UBEsl CV Driveshaft l39.5" IROKsl 17x9" Pro Comp 98sl High Clearance Shock Mounts [COLOR="red"] l Hidden Hitch l AJs Custom Front Bumper l SONY Xplod stereo l Alpine Speakers l TnT Frame StiffenerZ l 22" RE SS Brake Lines l 1.5" TnT Customs Boomerang Shackles l Sterling 10.25 *FULL WIDTHS* l JKS Mini Skids and Sway Bar Brackets l 7/8" Heim Joint High Steer
bmyohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2007, 03:45 PM   #3
fastredjeep
1986 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the click free-ness. They look a lot like the one in your avatar! That's rather uncanny.
Unread 12-09-2007, 03:47 PM   #4
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

i would personally go with the blue one. its got low miles, and well, im partial to blue XJs, how much do they want for them? if u tell us, we can give u an idea on whether or not its a good deal

6.5" TnT Customs Longarm Kitl Ford HP D60 l 6.5" Rock Krawler Coils l TnT Customs HD Trac Barl Omix Ada HD SYE l 1" UBEsl CV Driveshaft l39.5" IROKsl 17x9" Pro Comp 98sl High Clearance Shock Mounts [COLOR="red"] l Hidden Hitch l AJs Custom Front Bumper l SONY Xplod stereo l Alpine Speakers l TnT Frame StiffenerZ l 22" RE SS Brake Lines l 1.5" TnT Customs Boomerang Shackles l Sterling 10.25 *FULL WIDTHS* l JKS Mini Skids and Sway Bar Brackets l 7/8" Heim Joint High Steer
Unread 12-09-2007, 03:48 PM   #5
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

lol, they do look pretty similar

Unread 12-09-2007, 04:10 PM   #6
fastredjeep
1986 XJ Cherokee 

They're asking $9,995 for the green one and 13,999 for the blue

Not sure what hole they're pulling the blue Jeep's price out of. Maybe they think they'll trap somebody who doesn't know anything about parts into buying the blue one.

The green one isn't as bad. KBB lists the blue one at around $9950 and the green one at $8025.

I can't understand why all of the dealers have SUCH an inflated price on their Jeeps whether they've been modded or not. Another dealer has STOCK XJs for $11,998...
Unread 12-09-2007, 05:04 PM   #7
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

i bought for 12K last november with 59,000. the green one seems priced "ok". but tell the dealer that the lift will decrease the value of the vehicle. tell him that the lift ruined the ride. try to get him down to $8000. if not tell him you'll walk out the door since you already have one lined up.

im not sure how you are paying but, when we bought mine, my dad talked the guy down $3000 since he told him that he would cut him a check on the spot and if he didnt agree we would take our business elsewhere.

good luck with the purchase

Unread 12-09-2007, 05:16 PM   #8
fastredjeep
1986 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmyohn
i bought for 12K last november with 59,000. the green one seems priced "ok". but tell the dealer that the lift will decrease the value of the vehicle. tell him that the lift ruined the ride. try to get him down to $8000. if not tell him you'll walk out the door since you already have one lined up.

im not sure how you are paying but, when we bought mine, my dad talked the guy down $3000 since he told him that he would cut him a check on the spot and if he didnt agree we would take our business elsewhere.

good luck with the purchase
I was considering using the green one's price as a negotiating medium because they're pretty close in what has been done to them. I want the blue one and would tell the blue Jeep dealership that I am going to go with the green one if they don't come down in price and either match it or beat it.

Negotiating can be a messy task it seems.
Unread 12-09-2007, 05:19 PM   #9
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

it definetly can get messy. just realize that both are good options. u could even try talking the green one down and then use that lower price to get the blue one down. just an idea, either way its a cherokee so ur well off

good luck and let me know how it goes

Unread 12-12-2007, 04:39 AM   #10
fastredjeep
1986 XJ Cherokee 

Anybody have a reasonable price I should offer? Obviously they're hoping for someone with more money than brains. Both cars are listed above Kelley Blue Book price including their respective mods...
Unread 12-12-2007, 03:11 PM   #11
Ole Yeller
2010 JK Wrangler 

One thing, it looks like the green one is a Classic, and the blue a Sport. The classic would bring more money. Second, for some reason the interior in the blue ( you said it was really good) one doesn't look right. I had a 2000, not an 01, but all the cloth interiors were pretty much the same best i can remember. The blue interior almost looks like it has been recovered. That could mean a flood car. Remember, a LOT of cars coming out of Louisiana since Katrina.

Another Ace in the hole, I talked with an honest with me dealer last week about possibly trading my Unlimited Rubicon......he told me that SUV's were taking a real beating now because of gas prices. The $13k is pure and simple stupid. the $9,995 is too high I think but you are talking with the sales people.

I'd offer $8 grand for the green and maybe 8.5 or 9 for the blue. Be prepared to walk away. If you are going to finance, have your financing done before you go and negotiate. That way you can say, I'll write a check.

Gas prices don't seem to be coming down and SUV prices aren't likely to go up. I'd be patient.

Good luck.
2000 TJ Sport
My previous Jeeps
1992 Wrangler S (Ole Yeller)
1985 Cherokee Pioneer
1989 Cherokee Laredo
1995 Cherokee Country
1996 Cherokee Country
1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo
Ole Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2007, 05:05 PM   #12
CapnJack
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I can't be sure but the last picture of the blue Jeep shows a reflection from the bottom right of the brake pedal that looks like metal? If it is metal does that mean that the mileage is more than reported or that someone used it very hard and wore it down to the metal.

Also does the blue one have select trac? Being a newbie I can't tell (I'm not running out to look at mine) and what difference does that make?

Just some thoughts but if the brake pedal is down to the metal it could have seen some rough handling and should be priced accordingly. At the very least it could be a negotiating tool

As I mentioned in another post I looked at more than a dozen 2000 and 2001 Cherokees before I bought my 2000. The highest price I saw was $11,000 at a Jeep dealer and most of them with 60-80,000 miles were under $8,000; this is in NH and they were all stock street Jeeps. Almost every one of the Cherokees that I looked at over the last several months is still on the market; that seems to confirm that they are not moving either because of the gas prices or the economy. I don't know prices in your area but I'd do some more research.

Good luck,

Jack
Unread 12-12-2007, 07:01 PM   #13
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

the blue one does have the selectrac, which means it is a NP242, therefore u can run 4wd on pavement if u like.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.