2-door wrangler Unlimited? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > 2-door wrangler Unlimited?

Thursday Savings BlastIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.com

Unread 07-09-2009, 08:20 AM   #1
corvidael

2-door wrangler Unlimited?

Fell in love with the body style of the Wrangler Unlimited 2-door.
Yes, that's "unlimited" and "2-door". I can find 2004, 2005 and 2006 models in this style... but so far not a 2007.

(there's a pic as an example)

We're DINK's, and camp / hike / fish out in the bush a LOT, so the regular 2 door (non-unlimited) is just too small for storage, and the 4-door is just a bit too large (yeah, yeah, goldilocks syndrome, I know)

I prefer a 2007 or 2008 model wrangler due to the improvements that have happened since the 2007 model, but I can't seem to find ANY reference to this 2-door unlimited model being manufactured after 2006.

Do any of you know if I'm searching for snuffalufagus? Does a 2007 2 door unlimited exist?

corvidael is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2009, 08:23 AM   #2
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

As far as I know, no. They just make the 2 door and the 4 door unlimited now.
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2009, 09:08 AM   #3
azxr
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
As far as I know, no. They just make the 2 door and the 4 door unlimited now.
As he said. The 2 door unlimited is a TJ (also went by the name LJ) and is about 10 inches longer than a regular size wrangler. I am not sure of the exact years it was made but the years you mentioned sound correct. Starting in 2007 the unlimited was 4 door only and is about 20 inches longer than the regular size wrangler.
Unread 07-09-2009, 09:11 AM   #4
Mayfair_Jeeper
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I think the new 2doors are the size of the old unlimiteds in length though...I could be wrong, but it seems much longer than my 06 TJ
Mayfair_Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2009, 09:11 AM   #5
corvidael

Dang I was afraid of that!
Hello Jeep, are you reading this? I don't seem to be the first or only person wishing for that 2 door version of the unlimited.
Maybe the 2010 model will be the Enhanced Electric ENVI model, 2-door Unlimited Rubicon.

Biggest concern was the gas tank placement on the pre-2007 models (behind the rear axle). I wonder if I could convince myself that the road noise and safety issues of the 2006 models is ok.
corvidael is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2009, 09:36 AM   #6
Mayfair_Jeeper
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Verified:

2009 2 Door Wrangler wheelbase is 95.4ft and overall length is 162.9"
Mayfair_Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2009, 10:06 AM   #7
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvidael View Post
Biggest concern was the gas tank placement on the pre-2007 models (behind the rear axle).
It was behind the rear axle for over 20 years with little to no issues. I don't see a concern.
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2009, 06:49 PM   #8
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I don't see the concern either I have dropped my stock skid numerous times on all kinds things like rocks, trees, and bridges(don't ask) and I have not had any problems, what is your concern about safety, are you worried that if you get rear end it will explode, don't worry it won't, there is along way to go before you could hit that with a car or truck from behind. If you are really worried, about it get a nice aftermarket bumper, and a gas tank skid, all though the stock one is plenty strong except for the serious rock crawlers. As far as noise get a hard top, you should have no worries about noise then. As far as off road use what improvements were made after 06, I can't even name one? Also the 2 door ones you can take the back seat out very easily if you need extra space. LJs were only made in 04, 05, and 06. Unlimited Rubicons were only available in the 05, and 06 LJs. After 06 you get 2dr and 4dr, the 2drs in 07+ are 5 inches wider and about 3 inches longer, than a standard TJ, so maybe that will fit you needs. Oh there is one 2dr unlimited version available after 07, it is known as the J8 and only available to through AEV.(American Expeditionary Vehicles)

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2009, 07:19 PM   #9
MRJenkins
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvidael View Post
Biggest concern was the gas tank placement on the pre-2007 models (behind the rear axle). I wonder if I could convince myself that the road noise and safety issues of the 2006 models is ok.
I had a 1998 Wrangler (2 door, short wheelbase), and I sold it and bought a 2005 Wrangler Unlimited (2 door, long wheelbase). I love it, don't mind the noise (esp. with the top down), and don't have any particular safety concerns. I've driven my Unlimited across the US in the middle of winter, and I have previously driven my 1998 Wrangler up and down the East Coast, summer and winter. The 2-door Unlimited definitely wins over the 2-door short wheelbase for carrying 4 with gear (my situation). If you only have two then it should work exceptionally well unless you normally fill a minivan with your gear. Of course, there are ways to amp up the load capacity of the short wheelbase using receiver-mounted platforms, or even overhead racks. With only two to ride, you might get by that way and have a lot more purchasing options.

If you are overly concerned about road noise, I wouldn't buy a Wrangler. The way to significantly reduce road noise is to always wear the hardtop, and where is the fun in that? Non-removable top SUVs (some are Jeeps) will always have less road noise, especially if you run anything except for a plain highway/all season tire.

I'm not sure what safety issues you are talking about - do you have a specific concern identified through actual accident data? Or are you channeling past allegations of roll over potential, etc.? I'm not familiar with any claims of Wranglers bursting into flames due to the gas tank location...
MRJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2009, 07:00 AM   #10
Roughneck
2006 LJ Wrangler 

If you guys are just getting into Jeeps. First, welcome and good choce. I realize this is off your post topic but I think it will help to know the DC (daimler-chrysler) codes for the Jeep models as you become Jeep savy:
Of the newer models go:
Jeeps in the 70's & 80's were CJ's with round headlights.
CJ5 made from 73-79 was very short wheelbase,
CJ7 made from 77-86 was longer (the most common)
CJ8 made 83-86 (I think) very stretched out also named "Scrambler" (less than 10,000 made).
Wranglers from 87-96 are YJ's with the square headlights.
Wranglers from 97-06 are TJ's with round headlights, and the longwheelbase versions are LJ's
Wranglers 07-current are JK's, I don't know if they have a seperate code for the 4 door version.

Maybe get a 4 door JK and take the rear seats out or they probably fold down flat. It would definately haul alot of gear.
Unread 08-13-2014, 05:47 PM   #11
antman14
2005 JK Wrangler 

I have a 2005 wrangler unlimited 2 door. They only made the 2 door version in 2004,5, and 6.
antman14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2014, 06:12 PM   #12
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

I've had a 2005 unlimited rubicon and a 2012 unlimited rubicon,

The 05 is my favorite! I'm currently looking for another one, the wife is keeping the 12.

Want to STOP?

Edited
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.