1998 Wrangler SE 83k miles totaled by insurance co. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > 1998 Wrangler SE 83k miles totaled by insurance co.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-03-2013, 05:32 AM   #1
danindallas
1998 TJ Wrangler 

1998 Wrangler SE 83k miles totaled by insurance co.

I had my 1998 Wrangler SE totaled (someone pulled out in front of me from a side street ) by the insurance company. How will I keep from getting screwed by the insurance company due to a lower KBB value than my Wrangler was really worth. My Wrangler was a 1998 SE with 83000 miles and in great shape. I just had over $4000 dollars in repairs to make it top notch. Both of us have liability only. Mine is USAA and they have been very helpful to me. Help!!! Thank's. DaninDallas

danindallas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2013, 05:57 AM   #2
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Your insurance company should (and probably will) go after the guilty parties insurance company under their liability clause.

Here's the issue with liability - you are not covered for damages to your Jeep. So if you can't pay to have the Jeep repaired, you're out the car. KBB has nothing to do with it. The amount of money you recently spent will not be factored in.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2013, 11:01 AM   #3
danindallas
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Truth hurts. I am hoping that they would have to pay for something equivalent to what I had. Thank's for the response.
Unread 11-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #4
98ZJ SFD
2012 KK Liberty 

Each insurance company has different methods for settling their total losses. You're stuck with filing through the other party's carrier, assuming they're 100% at fault. Your company won't be going after the other company because they can't collect anything if they don't pay for anything. So since you don't have collision coverage with USAA, they can't do much for you.

The company I work for uses NADA clean retail value. Other insurance companies have told me we overpay for totals, but we like to provide good coverage. That being said, your total loss settlement with the other carrier is negotiable. They can't magically make your Jeep worth more than it really is, but if they take deductions from the value based on existing unrelated damage, high mileage, etc. see if you can negotiate those deductions. Some companies may cut the deductions in half so that may help put some extra money in your pocket.

If they're offering you average value but your Jeep is truly in great shape, negotiate for a better value. Granted, the money you just spent on it doesn't increase it's value, they should offer you decent coin for a Jeep in good shape.

Previous
98 ZJ Laredo SE 4.0, 2" Skyjacker BB, JKS Quicker Discos, Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs, K&N FIPK, Kolak cat & back exhaust, Westin Safari bar, KC lights
98ZJ SFD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 07:45 AM   #5
Adam013085

Who was at fault for the accident? By your description it sounds like the other driver was. If you were at fault then your ins company won't do anything since you only have liability. If the other driver is at fault then should pay you what your Jeep is worth. You won't get the $4k back you put into the Jeep, but make sure they give you what its worth.
Adam013085 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 10:07 AM   #6
danindallas
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well, as the world turns USAA is doing an excellent job for me. The other party has given bogus information so he is an uninsured motorist. USAA has given me an offer that is close to what I need for a replacement, but in some of their comps they used a 4 cylinder and I told them that there is no comparison to the inline 6. USAA is real people talking to me. Crazy isn't it?
Unread 11-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #7
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danindallas View Post
but in some of their comps they used a 4 cylinder and I told them that there is no comparison to the inline 6. USAA is real people talking to me. Crazy isn't it?

You stated in your first post that your Wrangler is a SE model, which is why your insurance is quoting a 4cyl.

`98 SE = 4cyl. You must have a Sport or Sahara model if you have a 6cyl.
Unread 11-06-2013, 08:10 AM   #8
Adam013085

I know some newer TJs you can get a 6 cyl in the SE trim. Not common but I have seen it.
Unread 11-06-2013, 08:28 AM   #9
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam013085 View Post
I know some newer TJs you can get a 6 cyl in the SE trim. Not common but I have seen it.
True for `05-06 SE models, but OP states he has a `98.
Unread 11-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #10
Adam013085

I was unsure what years the SE was available with the 6 cylinder. You are probably correct, I believe the one I saw was an 06?
Unread 11-06-2013, 08:55 AM   #11
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam013085 View Post
I was unsure what years the SE was available with the 6 cylinder. You are probably correct, I believe the one I saw was an 06?
My post was trying to explain to the OP why his insurance company assumed his TJ was a 4cyl. If he had it on record as a SE model/trim level.

The below info in from the TJ forum stickys:

Trim Packages

SE - 1997-2006
* 2.5L I-4 engine 1997-2002
* 2.4L I-4 engine 2003-2006
* Optional 4.0L I-6 for 2005-2006 models
Unread 11-07-2013, 08:43 AM   #12
danindallas
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hi, thanks to all that have replied. I did have the appraiser try to use 4 cylinder comparable vehicles and I had to explain that that's like trying to compare apples to oranges. That did up the estimated value by $700 but I'm not through with the appraiser yet because I believe the low mileage (86,500) is not being given enough weight. What do ya'll feel about a comp that has 150,000 miles. I really don't want anything over 99,999 miles but is that too much to ask? Thanks

Tags
insurance , replaced , screwed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.