1998 Sahara Questions - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 09-18-2010, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
joepa518

1998 Sahara Questions

hey, im new to the jeep forums and am considering buying a TJ for my first vehicle. I have found a 1998 Sahara with the 4.0L straight six, it is also a 5 speed. This jeep has a three inch lift and 33s and some upgrades such as exhaust and air filter. it also says it has a full size offroad jack, i am not really sure what that is? also it has almost 160,000 miles on it. It is quite a ways away from where i live but i have family in the town where it is and will be able to go check it out sometime in the next month if it is still available. What im wondering is what to look for, how much rust is too much, will there be any complications ecause of the lift? what to listen for with the motor? to make sure its all good? and is 160xxx too many miles on one of these? what should i expect? thanks for everything ~joe

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-18-2010, 06:33 PM
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

I recommend start reading here..
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f165/...t-here-523324/
This is a wealth of free information. As for the Jeep you are looking at 160,000 miles is getting up there. Unless you will have money to invest into the TJ for needed repairs and issues you may want to keep looking. Another question to ask your self is, are you experianced at turning a wrench and doing repairs yourself? Or are you willing to jump in and learn how to work on a future Jeep product you may own.
A full size jack most likely means a Handyman jack rather than a bottle or scissor style jack.
Take your time and look at a number of Wranglers before you jump and buy one.

"If you have a difficult job to do....Give it to a lazy man....He'll find the easy way to do it."
post #3 of 5 Old 09-18-2010, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
joepa518

im pretty handy with a wrench and all of that, ive worked on lots of stuff, i just replaced the clutch in my dads tacoma for him yesterday. also im interested in getting into the whole jeep thing, thanks for your help, i was mainly wondering what kind of maintenance i should expect a jeep with 160xxx to need. such as what would need to be replaced soon and what to whatch out for when buying one with high mileage

post #4 of 5 Old 09-20-2010, 01:04 AM
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Look for rust on the frame, dents and scrapes on the skids, and leaks. As far as maintenance at 160K, I would probably change all the fluids, diffs, engine, transmission with filter, steering fluid, transfer case, and coolant. Make sure the steering is tight, and any mods were preformed correctly.

Max

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
post #5 of 5 Old 09-20-2010, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
joepa518

id need to replace front and rear diffs, tranny, and transfer case? that sounds like some expensive stuff the guy wants 4800 for it and i dont have too much cash to spare so i want to know if im gonna have to dump more money into the thing to make it run right or will it be fine

Tags
buying , lift , miles , sahara , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.