1998 Cherokee HELP! 1st jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > 1998 Cherokee HELP! 1st jeep

LOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 08-25-2010, 03:05 PM   #1
sam_well

1998 Cherokee HELP! 1st jeep

I've been looking for a used Cherokee for quite some time now and I finally got a hold of someone who has one that isn't sold. Its a 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport with 142,000 miles on it and they said they would give it to me for around $3500. However when I went to look at it I found a number of problems, most of which I can deal with such as:

-Glove box lock missing
-Front seat missing rear mount (seat is crooked)
-and all windows work but only with the switches in the drivers seat, not with the switches on the individual doors
-massive tear in steering wheel

But there are a few that I would need to fix which include:

-Four new tires
-passenger side tail light broken
-Check engine light is on
-And when i drove it around the parking lot (I didn't exceed 10mph) there was an awful shaking coming from the front end when I would turn. (no, I didn't have it in 4WD) made a pretty awful sound too

Someone told me the shaking may be the transmission, but from the research I've done I think it may be some worn out U-Joints. I don't think this is the infamous "death wobble" that Cherokee's are notorious for as I was not going anywhere near highway speeds. Anyway, I need some help here. I have a really low budget (around 6000) and I need to know if getting this thing to pass MA inspection is going to exceed what I can afford. Does anyone know what might be causing the shaking? The Jeep has a 3.5" lift kit and 30" tires on American Racing Alloy wheels.

Appreciate the help,
-Sam

sam_well is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2010, 03:06 PM   #2
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Way over priced from what I can determine. It would be a major project. I think you can get more for less.

Check out my Classifieds
theducksguts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2010, 03:09 PM   #3
zondaracing
1998 XJ Cherokee 

cars come with problems, if you buy at a dealer or from a private seller. offer him $500 below his asking price
zondaracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2010, 01:14 PM   #4
sam_well

500 below 3500? The car is from a dealer. The original asking price was 5000. I have a feeling he wont accept anything lower than 3500 because that may be too close to what he accepted as trade-in. Even if I talked him down to 3000 it seems like fixing it up would bring me past my budget.
sam_well is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2010, 11:01 PM   #5
rfjeeper

2007 JK Wrangler 

Sounds a little to high for all the problems and miles,as for the shaking it could be a lot of things,jeeps with coil springs in the front are prone to what is called the death wobble,basicly your front end is wearing out and is needing parts replaced,trac bar among other things,it's just to hard to tell until you start replacing parts.Keven's offroad i think offers a deathwobble kit the replaces most of the prone parts,I think it's between 200 and 300 dollars.
rfjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2010, 11:06 PM   #6
rfjeeper

2007 JK Wrangler 

I know you said you didnt think it was the death wobble but i had it on my TJ at only 15mph,i replaced trac bar(rubicon express) and sabilizer bar (super lift) and that fixed mine
rfjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cherokee , shake , shaking , sport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.