1995 YJ 2.5 Rusty, advice needed. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > 1995 YJ 2.5 Rusty, advice needed.

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 11-14-2013, 05:20 AM   #1
Houdini33

1995 YJ 2.5 Rusty, advice needed.

Hey all, I owned a TJ and a couple XJs a while back (Sold for the family mobile) and am now looking at picking up an older YJ to play around with. The plan is to start out mild and eventually go wild, so it will be a constantly evolving project. Of course I am a fan of the 4.0, but my budget just isn’t there for one it seems, so I figure a 2.5 for now and maybe an LSx swap later.

On to the reason for the post, I am looking at a 95 YJ with 106k miles, runs/drives well, hard top, decent paint, but as you can see in the pics, pretty rusted (Floor pan, rear shackle mount etc…) actually causing it to fail the state inspection. Listed for $2,000, obviously I’m not willing to pay that, but first off, is it worth repairing and secondly what is a fair price with what is given.

Last edited by Houdini33; 11-14-2013 at 06:49 AM..
Houdini33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #2
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

No.

Never buy a jeep with any rust anywhere. There are too many out there in the Southeast and Southwest that are completely rust free. Being rust free will save you between $1500 and $3000 in frame and body repair which you must do before you can do anything else.
The only reason to buy a rusted out jeep is if you need the unrusted parts contained within for a restoration project. They are NOT worth using as a starting point for a redo.
Start a Craigslist or Ebay search in Georgia. Should be some good ones there.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 09:41 AM   #3
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

While I think the above poster may be a little overzealous, I would pass, especially if you're in Virginia.

If can weld and are willing to do some patching and framework, it might be worth the investment, especially if you can get them down to around $1000, but for a 2.5 with that much rust, it's probably not the base you were hoping to start with.

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 10:37 AM   #4
Houdini33

Thanks for the responses, kind of what I was figuring, but was getting blinded by the potential ownership! I can get a rust free frame with axles delivered for around $500, but even then I would still have to deal with the body rot and complete swap over. Oh well, on to the next one!

It seems finding one without rust or previous repairs to the rearmost shackle mounts is not an easy task around here.

Last edited by Houdini33; 11-14-2013 at 11:25 AM..
Unread 11-14-2013, 12:14 PM   #5
Adam013085

Keep in mind the newest YJ is almost 20 years old now. Most will be rustbucket POS. The ones that aren't and are priced accordingly are sold within hours. Your best bet is have cash in hand and ready to buy as you search.
Adam013085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 05:21 PM   #6
Houdini33

Very true Adam! I just found another solid frame for about $100, but still think I'd just be setting myself up for one headache after another, even if I got the yj for a song. I might go crawl around it and really check it out, but also going to look at a '90 that did have the shackle rot, but was repaired. I almost want to say I'm more worried about a repair I didn't have anything to do with!
Unread 11-15-2013, 06:36 AM   #7
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houdini33 View Post
Very true Adam! I just found another solid frame for about $100, but still think I'd just be setting myself up for one headache after another, even if I got the yj for a song. I might go crawl around it and really check it out, but also going to look at a '90 that did have the shackle rot, but was repaired. I almost want to say I'm more worried about a repair I didn't have anything to do with!
Good thinking! A repair that was done without your supervision is an unknown quality.
South of you lie many, many unrusted YJ units. North of you most are rusted out hulks. You might have to drive a little to find the perfect jeep, but the hunt is just part of the fun.
No need to buy headaches and additional work..
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.