1993 Cherokee "Upgrade" time - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > 1993 Cherokee "Upgrade" time

ECGS Fall Sale - 10% Off EVERYTHING!!Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 06-15-2013, 10:59 AM   #1
IAmCat
1993 XJ Cherokee 

1993 Cherokee "Upgrade" time

I own a 1993 Cherokee and it is time to buy a new-to-me Jeep. I have been looking at several 2001 Cherokees in the area. What can I expect in the way of problems, different driving feel, mileage, features, etc.? What should I look for when scouting out a new-to-me used Jeep Cherokee? Is there a better year I should shoot for? It will be difficult, as that is the year that seems to be for sale quite a bit.

I don't want a Wrangler, the style just doesn't work for me. I want the safety I feel in the Cherokee, and it drives like a car. The Grand Cherokee is just too big for no reason. The Liberty is alright, but for whatever reason they gave up glass for metal and now the visibility is shot all to hell. The Patriot is of course EXACTLY what I want, but there just aren't that many of them on the road, so they don't go up for sale very often.

IAmCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #2
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

98-99 are probably the best years to shoot for. 00-01s have the 0331 head issue (known to crack if overheated). 97+s have a nicer updated interior and a slightly restyled body (grill, etc.) but there weren't any major mechanical changes (except the switch to OBDII) over your 93 so driving feel and mileage should be about the same. Of course a lower mileage Jeep will likely have a tighter suspension and steering box than an older high-mileage one.

91-99s are all pretty reliable so the only real thing to look for is rust (especially in the floor pans and underneath) and the usual used vehicle stuff (fluid level/condition, condition of belts/hoses, suspension bushings and joints, look for leaks, any weird noises/vibrations, etc.).

For 00-01s also look for signs of a cracked head. The best way to look for this is to pull the valve cover and look for a crack between #3 and #4 cylinders but few sellers will likely be willing to let you do this. Otherwise look for milky oil on the dipstick or under the oil cap, but an unscrupulous seller who is trying to cover up the issue could do a fresh oil change and/or put a ton of stop leak in to hide it.
dmill89 is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.