1980 CJ5 as daily driver - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > 1980 CJ5 as daily driver

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe ALL NEW Factor 55 ProLink Winch Shackle Mounts availabFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-10-2014, 12:51 AM   #1
SuSpence

1980 CJ5 as daily driver

I am looking for a new vehicle and found a 1980 CJ5 with 26XXX miles. It is in decent condition. Most of the time I only drive 1 mile to school a few times a day but I make a 4 hour trip home a couple times a semester. Would this be a reliable vehicle because of the low miles or would it be a headache since it is so old?

SuSpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2014, 07:16 AM   #2
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Headache. Unless you own your own wrenches and have a garage to work in and love to fix things. The low miles are insane. There is something way wrong there; like it has been sitting up for 30 years or so. OR the speedo has been replaced with a newer one. But further information is needed. Have you looked at this thing? Do you have pictures? Is it rusty, both underneath and in the tub? Too many questions, too little information. But all in all the answer to your question as to if this would be a reliable vehicle, the answer is: no.
Unread 05-10-2014, 10:16 AM   #3
SuSpence

I don't think the kid really knew what he had. He said it probably has the least rust of any cj5 but it clearly had a large bubble behind the driver front fender. After looking around more I think an already restored one is the way to go. I think the extra cost is worth avoiding the hassle of fixing anything. I found one that looks brand new and orange happens to be my favorite color.

Here is the description:

I have a 1980 Jeep Cj-7 that i have restored over the years. Jeep is hugger orange. The body is nearly perfect and has no rust. Under the body and frame is undercoated black. I have custom rocker steps made out of tubing and are powder coated black. Wheels and tires and 31-10.50-R15 Pro Comp Mud Terrain. Also wheels are original jeep wheels but powder coated black. It has a custom roll cage that is orange as well. It has a diamond plate dash that matches the interior door panels. We did an engine conversion from gm 151 4-cylinder to a 305 small block chevy. Engine is completely balanced and runs smooth. It has an edelbrock aluminum intake with a 4-barrel carb. It has a mild cam and and engine is painted chevy orange and black. It has black edelbrock valve covers with matching air breather. Jeep has matching hard doors with black hard top with tinted windows. Too many things done to list.

My question now is how much do restored cj-7s go for? I'll take it to a mechanic before I buy it to make sure everything was done correctly but what would a ballpark price be for a decent restored cj-7?
SuSpence is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.