1978 CJ-7 Worth? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > 1978 CJ-7 Worth?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 02-18-2010, 04:27 PM   #1
RangerBob

1978 CJ-7 Worth?

Hi folks, im currently looking for a first vehicle and decided on a jeep. So we (parents and I) were looking around and remembered a friend who had one for sell. So we set up a meeting and took a look at it and it seemed nice,the usual dings and dents but just really dusty. Anyways as we asked about it we found out it was a 1978 CJ-7 with renegade package, levi package, V-8 manual with ~30k miles, every thing from what I could tell was stock. Long story short my dad told me no and claimed dibs so i'll have to keep looking, but he wanted me to look around for the price. I found any and everthing from 2000 to 6000, so I was wondering what you all had to say? So more background it was pretty much just used to take trips to ski and then stored in a garage, he hasn't started it in 2 years or so. The drivers side handle is kinda jammed, but body seemed pretty rust free.

And a off-topic question I have is should I go for an older jeep too, or should I try and get a TJ? Was wondering in turns of fun, cost, repairs, safety, as i'll be paying half and eventually all of the cost.

Sorry for kinda shallow off-topic. And thanks for any help.

RangerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2010, 05:15 PM   #2
jeepsarecool
1982 CJ7 

Got any photos?

A CJ could be worth anything from $200 to $20,0000. If it's, mostly original, has a little surface rust, the engine runs well, it has a decent top, etc. it will probably fall somewhere in the $3,000 - $5,000 range, but it's really impossible to tell without looking at it.

You'll want to check the frame very well for rust. Check all the floors, under the roll bar mounts, etc. for rust. The windshield frame is a big problem area.

Which transmission does it have, axles, differentials, etc. All that will go into determining its worth.

CJ7 - God's gift to the masochist.
jeepsarecool is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.