1968 Jeep CJ 5 261 Original Miles! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > 1968 Jeep CJ 5 261 Original Miles!

Rugged Ridge 07-14 JK Sherpa Roof Rack available @ Oconee Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-Road

Unread 07-22-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
jeepsage
1992 YJ Wrangler 

1968 Jeep CJ 5 261 Original Miles!

The quick story:
Jeep was purchased new in 1968 by a family that had it barged to an island cottage here in Ontario.
It was used sparingly to haul firewood and stored in a dry woodshed. It was never titled and never plated.
It is like new underneath, has original tires and belts/hoses etc... all of the tops and doors are with it. Nearly zero rust. Some body damage from contact with the shed and maybe a tree? But only what I would call "Patina"
The original steel wheels are still white with no damage whatsoever.
Canadian built jeep with Dauntless V6
What I am trying to figure out is a reasonable value? We bought it and brought it home. Just curious what it would bring at an auction.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...43021390_n.jpg

Unread 07-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
Benw455
1977 CJ7 

We need more pics. But I'm sure it will be a high dollar rig.
Benw455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
jeepsage
1992 YJ Wrangler 

How many high dollars?
Unread 07-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

261 miles, i would not wAnt that vehicle, not driven, not broken in, properly same oil from day one. very rubber seal, gasket dry rotted, dry rot tire, breaks, clutch corroded wires switches, no lubication of moving parts. at a auction, i say less than $500 if it sells at all
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 07:56 PM   #5
flyfisher12
2012 JK Wrangler 

I wouldn't think it would be worth to much. I have been to and watch quite a few auctions and Jeeps aren't the type of vehicle people want in non-restored original condition. Even the ones that are fully restored never go for as much as i would think.

Also looking at the one pic it looks more beat up than i would think a vehicle with only 261 miles should be and to 1930's point, pretty much everything needs to be replaced to make it drivable. That being said it would be a relatively straight forward vehicle to get back to normal but if you are thinking you found some awesome barn find i think you will be disappointed.

After you get everything all replaced you would probably be lucky to get 10k at the most.
flyfisher12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2013, 06:33 PM   #6
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

the tires has been replaced, the back tires different from from, the jeep been repainted, it use to be white, and that torn seat ls typical of people getting in and out of jeep. so it has a lot mire mile than 261
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 06:40 AM   #7
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

No way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
the tires has been replaced, the back tires different from from, the jeep been repainted, it use to be white, and that torn seat ls typical of people getting in and out of jeep. so it has a lot mire mile than 261
Ditto the above. Also post prior to that. I wouldn't touch a vehicle with that few miles on it unless it had been put away new in a sealed condition. It is obvious from that photo that this is a well used jeep.

Whoops.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 08:43 AM   #8
jeepsage
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry boys, the provenance is there. It was used on a two acre island from new by the same family. The day we picked it up was the first day it had been off the island since 1968. That much is true. Yes it has some bumps and scrapes, but when you see it in person it is un-disbutably 261 original miles. It was used to haul firewood on a wooded island. And i'm sure a beer or two was consumed in the process! The back tires were replaced due to dry rot.... The VIN Supports the colour. Also the VIN has never been registered for road use. We have to take it to a jeep dealer and have them verify on their letterhead that it is in fact a 1968 CJ-5 before we can title it for road use. Once I have more pictures I will post them, but this is absolutely the real deal!
Unread 07-31-2013, 01:53 PM   #9
Adam013085

I am sure a 1968 could not have had the mileage altered in any way......
Adam013085 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.