Yj Wrangler in Wreck - Need Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Carnage & Wrecks > Yj Wrangler in Wreck - Need Help!

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-18-2013, 05:50 PM   #1
guitarman311
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yj Wrangler in Wreck - Need Help!

Okay so in heavy traffic yesterday, changing lanes from right to left. Looked over my left shoulder to make sure I could change when I looked back my lane had completely stopped. Clipped the back right of an Suv. Luckily I have (Had) a sturdy double bar bumper on the front which bent back pretty bad. Everything seems to be fine other than the bumper and front right fender except I was in 2nd going maybe 10 mph when it happened, and now my shifter doesn't feel like it goes very far into 2nd or 4th, thus two gears located towards the back of the transmission. Both still wind out just fine and still have the torque and pickup in 2nd, but there is a large clunk when putting it in 2nd almost as if something is being hit. Also it has a 2" body lift and the front right little square bracket got knocked out and lost. So If anyone can help me figure out the transmission situation, Body lift mount and if my bumper is salvageable please let me know! Thanks

jeep-damage-side-.jpg   jeep-damage-front-.jpg  

Last edited by guitarman311; 12-18-2013 at 06:02 PM..
guitarman311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
MrB
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The body has probably shifted forward on the frame. The hole at the top of the transmission tunnle is now to far forward and not allowing the shifter go back all the way into position. Check body and frame alignment. 1/4 inch may be enough to screw it up with a 2 inch body lift.
MrB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2013, 06:10 PM   #3
guitarman311
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks man, that sounds completely true. Is there any way to shift everything back into place?
guitarman311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #4
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You could look into changing out the bl for a smaller 1" bl.

The daystar bl replaces the mounts which could be a good route.

Sent by a messenger bird
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
MrB
2006 TJ Wrangler 

For now loosen all the body mounts and try to lift and pull it back into position like that. Switching to a 1 inch body lift is definitely recommend.
MrB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #6
Buckbagger
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The bumper is going to be really hard to fix I cant tell from the photo if the ends have caps that can be removed or if it solid, if it has end caps you could remove them and stick a pipe/bar in side and try to straiten out and push the dents out. Hate to say it but it might be easy and more time friendly to just get a new one
Buckbagger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
body mount , crashes , tranny , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.