Wrecked my Jeep Saturday - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Carnage & Wrecks > Wrecked my Jeep Saturday

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-12-2010, 10:32 PM   #1
naj1013
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Wrecked my Jeep Saturday

I hope I am posting this in the correct place, sorry if I'm not.

So Saturday morning I am headin home from a test and as I'm approaching the red light, it turns green. So I hit the gas. (I'm about 55-60 feet from the white line). Well as I get closer (about 15 ft) as Suburban turns left infront of me and I end up t-boning him at about 35-40 right between the passenger front and back door. It was too late to try but I did try to somewhat stop. The next few seconds is a blur but airbags go off and rattle my brain a bit. I ended up 90 degrees to the right in the intersection. I was ok so I got out and someone already had FHP and all on the phone so I stand there and look at my poor Jeep. Well, here's where it gets better.

The FHP trooper gets there and asks me what happened and then asks the other driver his side. A witness also tells the trooper that the other driver's girlfriend was straddeling him in the front seat PRIOR to the crash (with 2 kids in the back seat!) Well, the other driver naturally says I ran the red light and all that and then when the trooper tells him what my story is he flips out, cussing, and acting like a lowlife fool, calling me a stupid SOB and a lyer and said I had headphones in. I didn't even have head phones in the Jeep, it was my sunglasses that flew off my head but was caught by the croakie and was hanging over my ears. The trooper had to tell him 4 times to shut up. The trooper goes to his car and does his work. He comes back with the verdict that because the only witness that stuck around and that counts couldn't see who had what light, there wasn't enough evidence to say who was at fault. I had two other witnesses from both angles see that I had the green and the other saw there was no green left arrow but because Florida is stupid and I personally knew them, they don't count because they can take my side too easy. That was Saturday. Well today I go to the lot I had it towed to and got some pics and now I am dealing with insurance companies trying to figure who's at fault. It's so frustrating puttin up with all this because I am a poor college student and I only had liability coverage because the Jeep was a 97' and not worth it to my dad to fully insure. I didn't get a scratch or bruise, just a little sore the next couple days so I am happy about that and as far as I know everyone in the other car was ok too.

I hope this turns out the way it needs to so I can either get my Jeep fixed or get a new one. Mom's Tahoe just isn't cuttin it. I am anxious to find out what the outcome with insurance is but I can't wait to start rebuilding or get a new one to start workin on!

Here's some pics I got today at the tow yard. I dont have any of the other vehicle.

I had a can of whit paint in the back and it exploded... But I think I like the new color. haha

these didn't feel too good either!

Last edited by naj1013; 04-12-2010 at 10:44 PM..
naj1013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 10:47 PM   #2
hartke20g
1998 TJ Wrangler 

ouch! that's terrible news, man! i agree, some FL laws don't make sense. the worst part is that since your airbags deployed there's a 99% chance they'll write it off as a total loss. not to mention i doubt your front axle and frame took the hit too well. good luck with the insurance company and hopefully you'll be able to prove your innocence and get some cash for your Jeep
Unread 04-12-2010, 10:52 PM   #3
naj1013
1997 TJ Wrangler 

That's what I am thinking will happen. I'll probably part some of it out. I got a friend who wants my doors and another that wants tires and then I'll use all the money for the new one. Only 3 days after and I'm dyin to get back in one and take it to the beach!
naj1013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
karlo

Sorry to hear that, man. Hope your problem will be fixed soon. Keep us posted.
karlo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2010, 09:35 PM   #5
Lastshot
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'm sorry for your loss man, but at least you were not hurt. I hope it works out for you, insurance companies can be a pain to deal with!
gily25 Says...
Issues only become problems when you don't have the tools or time to fix it.
Mike318 Says...
I like my 4.0L like I like my ****... stroked and blown. :duhrock:
Lastshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2010, 09:39 PM   #6
Mark4883
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Damn man, that sucks.
Mark4883 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2010, 10:19 PM   #7
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The police officer was probably considering your age and probably assumed you timed the light in an aggressive manner, and may have passed it just before it turned green. He is probably making that presumption. Make sure you can document any and all statements made, contacts, witnesses, on paper, especially the part about the gal straddling the driver. That is very very important for you to prevail. I know you know this already though. Could have been a lot worse. Glad everyone is ok.
moonshinefuel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2010, 12:12 AM   #8
seatmech32
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry to hear that. It always sucks when somebody on the Forum loses their pride and joy to a dip**** driver not paying attention. As said above, hopefully you get the statements from everyone to prove your side. Best wishes with the insurance company!

[B]Colorado Jeep Club #167[/B]

[COLOR="White"]White Jeep Club #158[/COLOR]
seatmech32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2010, 08:32 AM   #9
Gunga
1978 CJ7 

As a side note to everyone out there, I had a friend that got in an accident and was hit in the back of the head with a full gallon of paint. He is now barely able to walk and can barely speak. Always secure anything that can become a projectile.
Unread 04-14-2010, 10:01 AM   #10
JBD

That sucks, you were lucky that you didn't get hit with the paint can. Hope everything works out for you.
JBD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2010, 11:38 AM   #11
TBailey
1983 CJ7 

That sucks,I had the same thing happen to me several years ago.I got into an accident with an idiot that pulled out in front of me and just stopped.He lied to the trooper and told him that I jumped the curb and hit him.The trooper called it a no fault accident due to conflicting stories.
I see your ride is over at Cooks if it can be fixed they are the best.
TBailey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2010, 12:32 PM   #12
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Oh man that just makes me sick, especially the part about the low-lifer lying about what happened. I hope it turns out well for you, this world is too full of pondscum like who cut in front of you. (and I moved this to the Carnage & Wrecks forum for you)

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2010, 12:36 PM   #13
redrockin7
2008 JK Wrangler 

Wait a second - a witness told the cop the other driver was straddled by his girlfriend while driving - and the cop still didn't make it his fault? WTF? Can that be real? LOL

Sorry to hear about it man, I'm sure you'll be back in one in no time...
redrockin7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2010, 12:46 PM   #14
JrJmisn
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Bummer. I think that jeep took a shot that hard pretty well actually. I know its (probably) a complete loss...but it looks like it can take quite a punch with that speed and head on.
We can all now learn to try to tie down the gear and things in the back as best we can. Seeing this, hearing about the other unfortunate paint can incident, and a friend of mine that had a bowling ball go through her shoulder...its something to think about.

Glad you are ok. I hope it all works out in your favor with insurance!
JrJmisn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2010, 12:55 PM   #15
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrJmisn View Post
a friend of mine that had a bowling ball go through her shoulder...
A bowling ball through her shoulder? That reminds me of old Fearless Fosdick who always had large holes being shot through his body by the bad guys in his crime fighting adventures.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.