Wish I didn't have to make this thread - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Carnage & Wrecks > Wish I didn't have to make this thread

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 11-09-2008, 09:29 AM   #16
melius
2003 TJ Wrangler 

here in va and md who ever rearends the other person is atimaticaly at fault. They cite the driver who did the rearending for following to close, uncontrolle of vehical, and cause of accident. at least that is what the girl got when i was rear ended.

melius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2008, 11:14 AM   #17
QuickSilverCon
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yea, she was at fault and the police officer made that very clear.
I am taking it to a shop to get it checked out on monday as well as talking to my insurance agent.
QuickSilverCon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2008, 05:21 PM   #18
nwiTJdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogie View Post
Sorry as well...

I know that I have an added policy just for uninsured motorist. I believe it's required in my state? Sucks having to have insurance for those that don't have it. I heard in my state that 1 out of 3 drivers is not insured.
yes it is a law in indiana i believe to have uninsured motorist insurance. it even comes on just liabilty policies.
nwiTJdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2008, 09:25 PM   #19
JFranko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

From the pictures it doesn't look very bad, if you get any insurance money I would just pocket it and touch up the bumper myself, but thats just what I would do.
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #494
JFranko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2008, 06:54 AM   #20
Davetha

2003 TJ Wrangler 

The same thing happened to me. The guys hood was all crumpled, my Jeeps bumper ended up getting a little roughness around the hitch, and I had red paint on my gas skid plate.
Davetha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2008, 07:19 AM   #21
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Just because it is the law to have insurance while driving, that doesn't mean the owner of the car or the driver will have it. Not everybody obeys the law.

That said, I'd still pursue it. With an offroad bumper, you have to now worry about transferring impact from a bumper that would ordinarilly crumple up to the frame itself. You mentioned the crossmember being bent a bit. That COULD indicate your frame has suffered some. Most likely, it'd just be a matter of putting a new cross member on, especially if the piece is bent in a tiny bit and not folded in, but you should have it inspected just in case.

With it not your fault, you should have recourse via the owner's insurance if the driver was not insured. If not, you would have legal options as well given the circumstances.

IMO anybody following a Jeep with offroad armor too closely deserves what they get. I try to allow plenty of distance in my TJ to the car in front of me so I can avoid any panic stops. The people behind me most likely won't be able to see over my lifted Jeep. I'm not saying you were, but getting rear ended myself has led to some changes in how I drive to help avoid them, even though they aren't technically my 'fault'.
Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2009, 12:56 AM   #22
csouers
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Being a XJ guy, I can't really see any damage. But from what you said got messed up a bit, that sucks.

My Photography
csouers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2009, 11:35 AM   #23
NJSPEEDER
1993 ZJ 

If they don't have insurance, you sue them privately.
New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
www.NJFBOA.org
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2009, 11:30 AM   #24
imthehink
2005 WK 

Uninsured motorist insurance don't cover damages to the vehicle, only to you if you were hurt.
imthehink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2009, 01:35 PM   #25
RedJeepXJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by x93j View Post
Uninsured motorist insurance don't cover damages to the vehicle, only to you if you were hurt.
yes, actually it does cover the vehicle, that's the point of it
http://www.insurance.com/article.asp...rage/artid/132
RedJeepXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2009, 01:45 PM   #26
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by x93j View Post
My uninsured motorist covers either rig. The Caravan has the most but they even cover the jeep with just liability and uninsured. Stated directly in the policy.
Not shure where you got that.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2009, 10:30 AM   #27
imthehink
2005 WK 

http://www.geico.com/getaquote/auto/...ges-explained/ Thats where I got it, my insurance.
I live in Oklahoma and it doesnt cover damages to the vehicle here, thats what I asked when it was offered to me. It depends on where you live. Uninsured motorists coverage pays for your injuries caused by an uninsured driver or, in some states, a hit-and-run driver, in a crash that is not your fault. In some states there is also uninsured motorist coverage for damage to your vehicle.

Last edited by imthehink; 01-07-2009 at 10:45 AM..
imthehink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2009, 03:32 PM   #28
mike481
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogie View Post
Sorry as well...

I know that I have an added policy just for uninsured motorist. I believe it's required in my state? Sucks having to have insurance for those that don't have it. I heard in my state that 1 out of 3 drivers is not insured.
When I first moved to Bakersfield, CA I was shocked to find out that at least 55% of the drivers had no insurance. I personally saw 2 accidents where everyone involved grabbed their stuff and walked away leaving the cars where they sat.

RIP 4-14-2012
mike481 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2009, 05:03 PM   #29
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses2564 View Post
In Michigan we pay an additional $120 yearly to cover those drivers without insurance. We also have a no-fault policy here, which states that no one is to blame for the accident at the scene, the insurance companies look at police reports and determine which party was at fault, and take action accordingly.
That's not what no-fault means. No-fault means that your own insurance pays for damage to your vehicle, regardless of whose fault the accident was.

What you describe is lazy police work, which is becoming the norm. It just means no one is issued a ticket at the scene, and they leave it to the insurance companies to figure out who will pay for the damages. Some cites in my area do this is there is no personal injuries in the accident.
jumbojeepman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2009, 11:24 PM   #30
iflingmud
1996 ZJ 

Wow, the jeep actually looks great if not unscathed. Def report the incident to your insurance company or at least to your local agent to discuss your options. Also, you can always pursue a case through small claims court as long as the amount is under $5,000. Chances are though, your insurance company will do this on their behalf after you report the accident. You were rear-ended though, so she is at fault, this won't hike your rate. Trust me, I've had a LOT of experience with insurance companies LOL. Good luck and glad to hear you weren't seriously hurt.

Nightcrew #174
iflingmud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.