TJ vs. Ford Exploder - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Carnage & Wrecks > TJ vs. Ford Exploder

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBest deals on Yukon Gears at JeepHut.comNeed Ace Engineering products? JeepHut has you covered.

Unread 05-09-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
BigDogTJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

TJ vs. Ford Exploder

Just my humble submission to this forum. I was on my way to work and some kid from the college down the street used me to stop doing about 35-40mph. I have a rear bumper/tire carrier on it and my spare tire took most of the hit. As you can see from the damage the TJ won...his Exploder was gushing fluids all over the street, hence the FD showing up. In the end the damage to the TJ was a joke. The spare isn't damaged in any way, and it just pushed the swingaway into the tailgate, no tub damage (thank GOD!). I wish I had a picture of the PT Cruiser I hit, but the guy drove off before I thought to take pictures with my phone. My stinger bumper destroyed his tailgate and bumper, but since there was a proper distance between us and I did nothing wrong, it was the driver of the Exploder's fault.

I figured that with the amount of **tards that are coming on to my radar (and then hitting me) I'd just start a thread and update it. Probably going to get hit again as Tulsa is like the 8th worst place to drive in the USA.

jeep-explorer-accident-photots-005.jpg   jeep-explorer-accident-photots-006.jpg   jeep-explorer-accident-photots-009.jpg   jeep-explorer-accident-photots-012.jpg   jeep-explorer-accident-photots-013.jpg  

Unread 05-10-2012, 02:27 AM   #2
WindsorRenegade
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome.
Unread 05-11-2012, 11:37 AM   #3
BlackBellamy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
My stinger bumper destroyed his tailgate and bumper, but since there was a proper distance between us and I did nothing wrong, it was the driver of the Exploder's fault.
Well, it depends. You didn't specifically say if you were in motion at the time of the impact.

If the car in front of you was stopped, you were stopped, and you were hit from behind, then the last car is 100% liable for damage to both your and the first car.

If the cars were in motion, regardless of how fast they were going, then you are 50% responsible for damage to the first car, and the last car is 100% responsible for damage to your car.

Yes, I know it doesn't "sound" fair, but technically you weren't maintaining a proper following distance (if the cars were moving). If you were you would never have hit the car in front. That's how they define "proper".

The above are just guidelines from the insurance industry. Your particular state might have different laws or precedents.
The top and doors on this vehicle are designed only for protection against the elements. Do not rely on the top and doors to contain occupants within the vehicle or to protect against injury during an accident. Wear seatbelts at all times.
BlackBellamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #4
BigDogTJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I was stopped in a turn lane that was waiting for the light (sorry left that part out the first time). The driver of the Ford was 100% liable. And as far as a proper distance, I had one, I just didn't stop until I creamed the PT Cruiser because the Ford hit me so hard it threw both of my feet off the pedals (clutch and brake) and smacked the crap out of my shins on the underside of the steering column. The only reason we quit rolling forward was in part I hit the PT Cruiser, and I was finally able to slam on my brakes.
Unread 06-03-2012, 05:04 PM   #5
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy View Post
Well, it depends. You didn't specifically say if you were in motion at the time of the impact.

If the car in front of you was stopped, you were stopped, and you were hit from behind, then the last car is 100% liable for damage to both your and the first car.

If the cars were in motion, regardless of how fast they were going, then you are 50% responsible for damage to the first car, and the last car is 100% responsible for damage to your car.

Yes, I know it doesn't "sound" fair, but technically you weren't maintaining a proper following distance (if the cars were moving). If you were you would never have hit the car in front. That's how they define "proper".

The above are just guidelines from the insurance industry. Your particular state might have different laws or precedents.
this will all vary by state. even at a dead stop, here in KY it can still be considered a "no fault" and each driver covers their own damage. not always the case, as it depends on the exact situation, but possible here atleast.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #6
jeepinjeffrey
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by underpowered View Post
this will all vary by state. as it depends on the exact situation
Jeep for the win! Glad your ok! home those shins heal up fast!

as yep it varies by state who is at fault, here in utah its almost always the driver in the rear for following to close for conditions,
33" BFGodrich KM2's | Ion Alloy 174 Rims | 4.5 Rubicon Express Lift | Currie adjustable control Arms | Advanced Adaptors SYE | Tom woods rear CV diveshaft | 4.0L I-6 Engine | NV231 Command-Trac Transfer case | Dana 30 w/ Aussie Locker | Dana 35c Rear w/ Trac-Lok Limited slip | 3.73 | ORO LED Tail lights | JKS Adjustable Trackbars and Quicker Disconnects | Black Magic Brakes | ZJ V8 Tie rod Upgrade | Uniden 520XL CB/PA system

[B]My Build Thread:[/B]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/2003-wrangler-sport-4-5-re-lift-33-bfg-km2s-never-ending-wish-list-1312377/"]Click Here[/URL]

[B]Some of my Favorite Sites:[/B]
[URL="http://www.4x4xplor.com/mods-TJ.html/"]4x4xplor.com[/URL]
[URL="]http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp/"]stu-offroad.com[/URL]
[URL="http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowledgebase/"]Quadratec Knowledge Base[/URL]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-tech-boot-camp-must-read-new-tj-owners-forum-members-722109/"]TJ tech bootcamp[/URL]

[B]Ask about my Custom Vinyl Decals![/B]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f43/new-vendor-custom-vinyl-decals-1385910//"]Click Here[/URL]
jeepinjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 01:09 PM   #7
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

The front end pic of the Exploder looks like an old toothless woman.

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 03:50 PM   #8
rossd14
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagr8tim View Post
the front end pic of the exploder looks like an old toothless woman.
lol
rossd14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2012, 12:32 PM   #9
Shaggs2Dope
1999 WJ 

In Ohio the only person who wouldn't be at fault would be the very front person. You have to maintain assured clear distance stopped or moving. Meaning if you come up to a stop light and don't stop far enough back from the person in front of you and you get rear ended your responsible for paying damages to the person directly in front of you. You have to stop far enough back that even if you get hit you won't be pushed into the car in front. Ask me how I know. Never mind, don't.
Unread 12-20-2012, 03:55 AM   #10
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggsdclown View Post
In Ohio the only person who wouldn't be at fault would be the very front person. You have to maintain assured clear distance stopped or moving. Meaning if you come up to a stop light and don't stop far enough back from the person in front of you and you get rear ended your responsible for paying damages to the person directly in front of you. You have to stop far enough back that even if you get hit you won't be pushed into the car in front. Ask me how I know. Never mind, don't.

Of course, the police in Ohio are lazy simpletons, as they are most everywhere. So, when they come upon a chain reaction accident, where they do not know what the order of the collisions was, they cite everyone but the lead driver for assured clear distance. Actually, when the second car stops safely, and maybe the third behind him and then the fourth plows into to the rear-most car pushing them all together, a much different legal result should occur. But, sadly it does not. Unless someone is killed in the wreck, they do basically nothing to determine the order of the collisions which should control the assured clear distance argument, since, as a matter of law, one must be moving in order to violate it.

But, you are wrong about the stopping sufficiently far enough back not to be pushed into the car in front of you. They just didn't believe you and were probably trying to be polite.

The statute in Ohio is a speeding statute. It sets a speed limit which is violated if you cannot stop your moving vehicle in time to avoid the crash. You cannot violate a speeding statute if you are stopped.

4511.21. Speed limits
(A) No person shall operate a motor vehicle, trackless trolley, or streetcar at a speed greater or less than is reasonable or proper, having due regard to the traffic, surface, and width of the street or highway and any other conditions, and no person shall drive any motor vehicle, trackless trolley, or streetcar in and upon any street or highway at a greater speed than will permit the person to bring it to a stop within the assured clear distance ahead.

You are going too fast when you meet these criteria:

Four elements must be established in order to prove a violation of the assured clear distance ahead statute, R.C. 4511.21(A): the driver collides with an object which (1) is ahead of him in his path of travel, (2) is stationary or moving in the same direction as the driver, (3) does not suddenly appear in the driver's path, and (4) is reasonably discernible. State v. Hochstetler, 2004 Ohio App. LEXIS 561, 2004 Ohio 595, (2004).
Unread 01-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #11
TheYJnut

Love that rear tire...
TheYJnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 06:51 AM   #12
cameron2012
2008 JK Wrangler 

Had a 2000 WJ got rear ended by a civic. The civic was totaled and the back plastic bumper of the WJ looked like someone took a knife and stabbed it
cameron2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #13
AndyAllen
1998 TJ Wrangler 

How much was that bumper/tire carrier setup?

Tags
rear ended , tj , wreck

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.