Sheriff and Jeep - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Carnage & Wrecks > Sheriff and Jeep

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 02-09-2012, 04:01 AM   #76
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
Oops you got me on that one. They were traveling in the same direction, I should have said overtaking and didn't. That's the ONE point that you have to negate what I've said and it still doesn't change the FACT that the guy in the Jeep turned in front of the Deputy.

--snip--

I went back and re-read all the links to news articles.... Not one of them that I have seen said anything about driver of Jeep turning into the path of the patrol car.

Here is an exact quote from one of the articles:

Quote:
Originally Posted by news article

The accident happened around 5:30 p.m. when 65 year old Barry Johnson was turning into his driveway. That's when Payette County Deputy Scott Sloan hit Johnson's jeep.
The purpose of the accident investigation is to determine the chain of events in an effort to reconstruct how the accident happened. Until they make their findings public, and possibly a Jury either agrees or dis-agrees with their findings, the exact cause of the accident is all opinion.

IT IS possible that the Jeep had to come to a complete stop to wait for traffic to clear so he could make his left turn into his driveway (remember Hwy 30 is only a two lane road). The slow moving Jeep may have already been in process of making his turn and simply could not get out of the way of the patrol car fast enough. A vehicle traveling 115 mph is going to cover a lot of ground quickly, there is a curve in the road that is visible in at least one of the photos that have been posted online (I do not know if this curve was before or after the impact, or if it had anything to do with the accident, or not). However, I feel confident that the investigators know this information. Once the County Attorney reviews the investigators report, it will be interesting to see if this case is referred to the Grand Jury or not.

As others have said, you have one man dead, and his family upset, and suffering from all this. The other man (Deputy) probably has medical issues to deal with in addition to dealing with fact that Mr. Johnson died. The Deputy is surly worried about the results of the accident investigation and what effect that may have on his future.... He also is probably concerned because his family (Mother) is upset about all this. The people in New Plymouth are probably upset and divided in their opinions about how this accident happened.

little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 10:15 AM   #77
wildlyle
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The jury findings in case in which I was involved in awarded the family of the woman killed over 5 million dollars. I was not sued personally but had I been the county was also going to cover that as well. The laws will vary from state to state and it has been a number of years since this happened so things may have changed. I can't predict what's going to happen. It's only an educated guess on my part.

Irregardless, I wish the best for the deputy involved and peace to the family of the deceased.
wildlyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #78
TBailey
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe
You sound like that type that hates cops all cops no matter the circumstance. Regardless of that still doesn't make the facts any different.
No I do not hate cops at all. They have a crappy job to do for a very meager check. I have several close friends that are leo's from various city,county,state,and federal agencies.I have issues with cops that don't conduct themselves in a professional manner while on the clock. I won't tolerate a cop that treats me like **** for no reason.
TBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #79
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Every argument I've ever seen on incidents like this result in the same opinion division:
- LEO's tend to agree with and justify whatever decisions were made by the LEO who was actually involved.
- Other folks tend to be more sympathetic to the regular citizen, regardless of actual blame

Personally, I can see both perspectives, but what we have here is a d**n tragedy...for everyone involved. Nobody wins. The officer, thinking he was on his way to maybe save someone's life, accidentally ended up taking someone else's life. He now has to live with that. Along with this we have the fact that he never made it to his dispatched location and who knows what happened there.

Should he be held accountable for his decisions (be they right or wrong in whoever's opinion), I can't think of any punishment worse than his own thoughts as he looks at himself in the mirror every day for as long as he lives.

There's no ifs, ands, or buts to it. Just tragedy...

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."
H. L. Mencken - US editor (1880 - 1956)

K.C.C.O. [url]www.thechive.com[/url]
hallsofstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #80
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
I went back and re-read all the links to news articles.... Not one of them that I have seen said anything about driver of Jeep turning into the path of the patrol car.
Fair enough, I thought it had been established that he had turned left in front of the Deputy, thus the reason the collision was to the driver side of the Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
The purpose of the accident investigation is to determine the chain of events in an effort to reconstruct how the accident happened. Until they make their findings public, and possibly a Jury either agrees or dis-agrees with their findings, the exact cause of the accident is all opinion.
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBailey View Post
No I do not hate cops at all. They have a crappy job to do for a very meager check. I have several close friends that are leo's from various city,county,state,and federal agencies.I have issues with cops that don't conduct themselves in a professional manner while on the clock. I won't tolerate a cop that treats me like **** for no reason.
Hope you realize my ignorant blanket statement was meant as sarcasm to point out your equally ignorant blanket statement. I too have issues with cops that don't conduct themselves in a professional manner, it's a bold assumption on your part to assume that leo's don't feel this way, especially considering your vast number of leo friends. BTW, I haven't treated you that **** or any other form of asterisk.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 01:25 PM   #81
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
Fair enough, I thought it had been established that he had turned left in front of the Deputy, thus the reason the collision was to the driver side of the Jeep.

Agreed

Hope you realize my ignorant blanket statement was meant as sarcasm to point out your equally ignorant blanket statement. I too have issues with cops that don't conduct themselves in a professional manner, it's a bold assumption on your part to assume that leo's don't feel this way, especially considering your vast number of leo friends. BTW, I haven't treated you that **** or any other form of asterisk.
If we go back and re-read this entire thread, you can see/feel all the emotion and strong opinions we all have..... We are strangers to the situation, as far as I know, none of use live in the area of the accident, nor do any of us (as far as I know) have any personal connection to anyone involved in this accident..... Here is my point, if total strangers (us), can be so emotional and have such strong opinions (be what they may), can you imagine how the people of New Plymouth, ID and all the family members of the Deputy, and of Mr. Johnson must feel.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 01:31 PM   #82
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Absolutely

My initial point about giving absolutes was that there are no (or very few) absolutes in this line of work. Saying things like "there's NEVER a reason to....." are more frequently than not flawed.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 03:20 PM   #83
TBailey
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe
I was never accusing you of treating me like ****,that was a statement about leo's in general. I have had more bad expieriences with leo's than good expieriences. Alot of the leo's in my area have a chip on their shoulder. Hell I had one draw his weapon on me once for running a stop light.
Unread 02-09-2012, 03:32 PM   #84
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

My statement was made despite being detained and physically assaulted multiple times in college by LEO's looking for another person (let me go w/apology after ID was discovered in my pocket each time). I've had a local cop take my money out of my wallet right in front of me and throw it back to me empty...followed by "your word against mine, boy". I've been pulled over repeatedly by one absent minded drunk-fishing LEO on the same road driving the same vehicle on my way home from work at the same time of day.

All of these bad examples and then some will never take away the good REAL LEO's do in most communities.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."
H. L. Mencken - US editor (1880 - 1956)

K.C.C.O. [url]www.thechive.com[/url]
hallsofstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #85
mbybee
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hell I had one draw his weapon on me once for running a stop light.
Semi-related - a good friend of mine was involved in a shooting, where his partner was shot through the window of a car during some basic fixit ticket stop.

Apparently this freaked him out so bad that he ended up practically drawing his weapon the next 3 or 4 times people moved their hands much at all during a stop.

It's important to consider the pressure cops are under when they work. To them, it's practically a war zone sometimes. An LEO might be raiding a drug nest one day and dealing with automatic weapons fire, and the next having to clean up some kid off the street.

I try to give them the benefit of the doubt, and have had mostly positive experiences.
mbybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 08:10 AM   #86
TBailey
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbybee

Semi-related - a good friend of mine was involved in a shooting, where his partner was shot through the window of a car during some basic fixit ticket stop.

Apparently this freaked him out so bad that he ended up practically drawing his weapon the next 3 or 4 times people moved their hands much at all during a stop.

It's important to consider the pressure cops are under when they work. To them, it's practically a war zone sometimes. An LEO might be raiding a drug nest one day and dealing with automatic weapons fire, and the next having to clean up some kid off the street.

I try to give them the benefit of the doubt, and have had mostly positive experiences.
There was no reason for the deputy to pull his weapon on me. He approached my truck with it drawn. I did not have tinted windows, it was broad day light and my hands were at 10 and 2 on the wheel. Dickhead cops run rampant in our area. That deputy lost his job a month layer.
Unread 02-10-2012, 09:00 AM   #87
mbybee
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That deputy lost his job a month layer.
Good to hear it! It's not a job for just anyone, and it sounds like he wasn't cut out for it.

Man, that dude would have *hated* AZ, where so many of us carry guns
mbybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 09:08 AM   #88
LostJeeper

Medical examiners, meanwhile, said Johnsonís blood alcohol level was .08 at the time of the accident, which is the benchmark for being legally intoxicated in Idaho.

Jeepers fault its tobad cause family might of been able to sue
LostJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 05:43 PM   #89
Yucca-man
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
There was no reason for the deputy to pull his weapon on me. He approached my truck with it drawn. I did not have tinted windows, it was broad day light and my hands were at 10 and 2 on the wheel. Dickhead cops run rampant in our area. That deputy lost his job a month layer.
Of course, you have no idea if there was a description of a similar vehicle/driver associated with a crime in that area or a neighboring jurisdiction - it's just easier to jump straight to the "I was doing nothing wrong and therefore the cop is an ***" bandwagon.

Go to your local copshop and do a ridealong with Patrol. Find out the why behind what some of you consider improper behavior - most of it boils down to a desire to go home to their family at the end of shift, and to make sure their fellow officers do too.
Yucca-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 08:01 PM   #90
roughknight69
1995 ZJ 

That sucks
roughknight69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.