Sheriff and Jeep - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Carnage & Wrecks > Sheriff and Jeep

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-02-2012, 11:53 PM   #46
Maverickxeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSooNmonkey View Post
Put it in to a bit more perspective.

If your wife was home and someone was breaking in would you want the cops there asap?

IMO - most *******s on the road don't pay attention to their mirrors, case and point

So IMO part of the issue is peoples total lack of situational awareness, even in this incident (unless the cop took a turn at 115 and the guys house was less than 1\8th a mile from said turn) this could have been voided with better situational awareness.

People who dont realize EMS should have their licenses revoked and go to jail.

Ive seen a few times where people dont move over for them... (the worst being on a 3 lane highway... EMS is in the fast lane, lights on and sirens going. Person in front of them is going.... 10KM UNDER THE LIMIT and wouldnt move over/pull over. The EMS was NOT able to get around them either; as if the person in front was purposely BLOCKING them. I WISH I wouldve had my dash cam back then... so I couldve had the guy charged).

Maverickxeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2012, 03:28 PM   #47
Flinticus

wow!

I can't believe the Jeep is still mostly in one piece!!! Most of the high speed wrecks I've seen you usually can't tell what kind of car it was unless you see a hood ornament or logo somewhere!!
Flinticus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #48
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T8ter View Post
The Sheriff was going 115mph passing cars. Jeep was turning into his driveway.

Hey T8ter.... how about a little information..... when did this accident happen? and what City & State did it happen in? What Sheriff's department was involved?
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #49
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
Hey T8ter.... how about a little information..... when did this accident happen? and what City & State did it happen in? What Sheriff's department was involved?
I found some of the answers to my own questions..........

http://www.argusobserver.com/news/pc...d2e3c7eda.html

PCSO deputy involved in accident traveling 115 mph

Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2011 12:00 am | Updated: 7:18 am, Wed Feb 1, 2012.

PCSO deputy involved in accident traveling 115 mph By Argus Observer staff reports Argus Observer | 67 comments

PAYETTE — Gem County officials have released findings stemming from an investigation of an Oct. 18 automobile crash that involved a Payette County Sheriff’s deputy and a New Plymouth man.

Barry Johnson, 65, of New Plymouth, was killed when the Jeep he was driving at around 5:30 p.m. near New Plymouth and a Payette County Sheriff’s patrol car collided on U.S. Highway 30.

Payette County Sheriff’s deputy Scott Sloan was responding to a 911 call about an intruder inside a home when the crash occurred.

Johnson was thrown from the vehicle and pronounced dead at the scene.

While Sloan was responding with lights and siren, Gem County was called in to review the Idaho State Police findings on the accident and determined that Sloan was traveling 115 mph at the time of the accident.

The Gem County findings will now be turned over to prosecutors to determine whether Sloan was traveling in excess of what is safe for the situation.

Medical examiners, meanwhile, said Johnson’s blood alcohol level was .08 at the time of the accident, which is the benchmark for being legally intoxicated in Idaho.

Gem County is handling the case to avoid any conflict of interest for Payette County.
Unread 02-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #50
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Payette County, ID Sheriff's Dept.

http://www.payettecounty.org/sheriff/sheriff.html
Unread 02-04-2012, 09:08 PM   #51
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.sheriffin.com/article23833/mother_defends_deputy_injured_in_deadly_crash.htm

Mother defends deputy injured in deadly crash

by Ty Brennan
Bio | Email | Follow: @tybrennanktvb

KTVB.COM

Posted on October 20, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Updated Thursday, Oct 20 at 5:08 PM

Related:

* Deputy driving 115 mph in deadly crashadd to reading list
* Family blames deputy for New Plymouth man's deathadd to reading list
* Man killed in accident with sheriff's deputy identifiedadd to reading list

Gallery

See all 6 photos »

BOISE -- A deadly car accident that killed one man and injured a Payette County sheriff’s deputy is causing mixed reaction in the community. The victim's family says the deputy is at fault, while the mother of the deputy is defending her son’s actions.

That accident happened Tuesday night on Highway 30 just west of New Plymouth. Idaho State Police say Deputy Scott Sloan was on his way to an emergency call of an intruder in a home with his lights and sirens on when the collision happened.

KTVB received an email from someone saying they are Deputy Sloan's mother around 10 p.m. Wednesday. She expresses frustration that her son's actions have been questioned by some people.

This is what Idaho State Police say happened. Deputy Sloan hit the driver's side of 65-year-old Barry Johnson's Jeep as he was turning into his driveway. Johnson died on scene, and a preliminary report from ISP says alcohol may have been a factor.

Wednesday afternoon we spoke to Johnson's daughter who calls Sloan's actions negligent.

"My dad died on impact and his Jeep was pushed, I don't know how many feet, and my dad bled to death. He was already dead, but he bled over there. All because of the negligence of this officer,” said Jackie Raymond, the victim’s daughter.

The email received last night from someone claiming to be the deputy's mother says in part...

"My son was doing his job in responding to an emergency call to protect the citizens of Payette Co. When a vehicle does not clear the way for emergency vehicles and allow them the right-of-way they, the drivers of the private vehicles, are clearly at fault, whether alcohol was involved or not."

We spoke to another sheriff's office about the rules of the road for officers when it comes to responding to emergency calls. They tell us there are no speed limits set; it's a judgment call depending on conditions.

ISP says it may be a few weeks before the investigation in this case is complete.

[IMG]http://media.ktvb.com/images/396*264/payette+deadly+accident+5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://media.ktvb.com/images/600*341/payette+county+accident+3.jpg[/IMG]
Unread 02-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #52
Yucca-man
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
I firmly believe that when seconds count, the Police are only minutes away. This isn't a slam on Cops or other first responders, just a fact of life that your life, health, and safety really depends upon your abililty to survive the situation long enough for help to get to you.
Add to that the fact that this is a rural area. The population is just over 20,000 people for the entire 410sq mi county. That's half the size of my county, but 10% of my population. I'd be willing to bet the deputy was probably the only deputy on duty at night, or maybe one of two, and Murphy's Law pretty much guarantees the deputy isn't going to be next door when the crime happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron2012 View Post
Im involved with the fire dept and when they respond to a W3 structure fire yea they speed but at every light they slow down. Goin thru neighborhoods they go about 15 over maybe if that lol but 115 in a residential area is ****in stupid the family of the Jeeper needs to file a lawsuit against the officer and/or the dept
Not a residential area - speed limit was 55mph and see my previous comments about the geography of the area.
Yucca-man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2012, 07:29 PM   #53
TBailey
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yucca-man
Not a residential area - speed limit was 55mph and see my previous comments about the geography of the area.
It may or may not have been a residential area. I have seen more than one populated rural area with a 55 mph speed limit. There was no reason whatsoever to be doing more than twice the posted speed limit. It doesn't matter what the emergency was. That was reckless endangerment plain and simple. An innocent bystander lost his life because of it and a deputy never made it to his call.
TBailey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2012, 10:08 PM   #54
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBailey View Post
It may or may not have been a residential area. I have seen more than one populated rural area with a 55 mph speed limit. There was no reason whatsoever to be doing more than twice the posted speed limit. It doesn't matter what the emergency was. That was reckless endangerment plain and simple. An innocent bystander lost his life because of it and a deputy never made it to his call.
You apparently didn't read the article above.

#1 This was on Hwy 30, where ever that is....

#2 "no reason whatsoever" is, once again, a completely ignorant statement

#3 That innocent bystander was a DRUNK DRIVER who if sober may not have caused this accident.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2012, 05:33 AM   #55
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Information from the news articles.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by news article posted above
That accident happened Tuesday night on Highway 30 just west of New Plymouth. Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by news article posted above
This is what Idaho State Police say happened. Deputy Sloan hit the driver's side of 65-year-old Barry Johnson's Jeep as he was turning into his driveway. Johnson died on scene, and a preliminary report from ISP says alcohol may have been a factor.

Based upon a little investigative work, the map below shows a location that should be pretty close to the actual accident site.

FYI, Mapquest dot com says that it is 2.40 miles from Highway 73 (just South of New Plymouth, ID) to the approximate accident location on Highway 30 West.

**IF** I understand the situation correctly, both the Jeep and the patrol car were traveling East (toward New Plymouth), on Highway 30 West, when the Jeep was attempting to make a left turn into a driveway at or about the same time the Patrol car was attempting to pass the Jeep. The Jeep was struck in the driver's side.

http://www.ktvb.com/home/Deadly-accident-closes-Hwy-30-near-New-Plymouth--132109383.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by link posted above
Sheriff's Deputy Scott Sloan was driving with his lights and sirens on responding to a report of an intruder in a New Plymouth home around 5:30 p.m. when he tried to pass a jeep driven by Barry Johnson, 65, of New Plymouth.
Johnson turned left in front of the deputy and the deputy's vehicle struck the driver's side of Johnson's Jeep.
The news article above has 46 photos attached to it. There are photos that indicate that Highway 30 is a two lane highway, with houses fairly close to the pavement. Some of the photos indicate that neither the patrol car, nor the CJ faired so well in this collision. The patrol car was equipped with air bags, should belts, and modern design that protects the occupants of the vehilce. The CJ would not have been equipped with these safety devices, and would have only had a lap belt. Also, in at least one photo, it appears that the roll bar in the CJ came detached from the vehicle. Bottom line, I am not sure that if Mr. Johnson had been wearing a seatbelt, that it would have made any difference.
Unread 02-08-2012, 08:02 AM   #56
TBailey
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe

You apparently didn't read the article above.

#1 This was on Hwy 30, where ever that is....

#2 "no reason whatsoever" is, once again, a completely ignorant statement

#3 That innocent bystander was a DRUNK DRIVER who if sober may not have caused this accident.
No I read the article above. I do not condone drunk driving. At those speeds the effects of lights and sirens are diminished. The man was hit in the drivers side of the jeep while he was making a left hand turn into his driveway. It is very obvious the deputy was driving at a speed beyond his abilty. He should have slowed down when he approached any other vehicles. I stand by my opinion that the deputy was wreckless and an innocent bystander was killed because of it.
TBailey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2012, 08:24 AM   #57
CGrugger

1985 CJ7 

I want to hear some opinions from the officers on this forum.

All I will say is that the officer was closing on the jeep at double the rate the driver probably expected.

I don't think either is fully at fault. I just don't want to see a precedence set that I will either condemn or give a free pass to officers involved in collisions.

I know in the coast guard, if we are responding to any distress call, where we aren't abiding by the rules of the road. We would be at fault for any collision.

07 WK Limited: 4.7, QT-II
CGrugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2012, 08:38 AM   #58
rubijosh
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Both of the individuals have faults in the accident. While it is hard to see someone coming at 115 mph from behind you; he might have noticed the cop lights if he would have been 100% sober. I do agree that the Sheriff should have slowed down when he began to approach the car but we do not know the whole story. There could have been an intruder inside of a house with the home owner still inside. I will shortly be in the CJ field and support most cops 100%.
Unread 02-08-2012, 09:11 AM   #59
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The out come of all the investigations and Court actions (Grand Jury, if it gets to that point) will be interesting. We are talking about an accident on a Tuesday evening at approximately 5:30 P.M., a time when people would normally be traveling home from work, and in an area that is 2.40 miles or less from town (the 2.40 miles will actually take you thru town and to the South just a little)... The photos in one of the news articles clearly show Highway 30 as a two lane highway with at least one house fairly close to the pavement. I would expect that assuming that vehicles would be entering/exiting this two lane highway from these driveways and side streets would not be an unreasonable assumption at 5:30 P.M. on a Tuesday afternoon in October. I would also think that heading into a populated area on a Tuesday afternoon at 5:30 P.M.. you could/should assume that there will be more vehicles on the road than normal. Is 115 MPH excessive, and/or reckless considering the situation? Did Mr. Johnson's alcohol consumption have anything to do with the material facts of the accident? With a blood alcohol level of only .08, would Mr. Johnson even legally be considered legally intoxicated in Idaho? .08 is the legal threshold, but typically there would need to be supporting evidence or indications such as weaving in the road, slurred speech, failure of a field sobriety test, etc., etc.,. Was Mr. Johnson buzz driving, or did he stop to eat dinner on his way home and have a couple beers with his meal? Did the alcohol effect Mr. Johnson's judgment, or is this a situation where a slow moving, nosy Jeep CJ just could not move quick enough to get out of the patrol car that was doing 115 MPH on a 55 MPH posted road. Also, keep in mind, Mr. Johnson was attempting to make a left hand turn into his driveway so his vehicle's ground speed would have been much less than the posted 55 MPH speed limit.

I'm not saying that the deputy should or should not be brought up on criminal charges. What I am trying to post is FACTS based upon the information presented. Keep in mind not all the facts have been presented, so we are dealing with only the facts that have been presented, not ALL the facts. Based upon the facts as I know them, this situation is at least worthy of a full and complete investigation followed by review from the County Attorney.
Unread 02-08-2012, 09:31 AM   #60
mbybee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_tj View Post
It was an armed car jacking.
Sorry to derail - but is there any *other* sort of car jacking? Some dude just walks up to a car and says
"Pardon me, may I have your car for a brief duration of donuts and wheel smoke?"
mbybee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.