Sheriff and Jeep - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Carnage & Wrecks > Sheriff and Jeep

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-16-2012, 03:41 PM   #31
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSooNmonkey View Post
Put it in to a bit more perspective.

If your wife was home and someone was breaking in would you want the cops there asap?

-- SNIP --

I firmly believe that when seconds count, the Police are only minutes away. This isn't a slam on Cops or other first responders, just a fact of life that your life, health, and safety really depends upon your abililty to survive the situation long enough for help to get to you. First responders are trained to drive fast, but in a safe manner. Even with lights, they have a responsibility to the public (at least in my State) to do enter intersections, drive speed, and such with great caution and concern about the driver who isn't paying attention, or the little ol lady that can't hear herself fart. After all, if the first responder crashes, then they become part of the problem, and not part of the solution as they should have been.

I'm not saying that 115 MPH was unsafe, or reckless.... but it is such a high speed, I would want to know all the details if I was the County Attorney..

little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 03:49 PM   #32
pollycav22
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Serve and Protect one at the expense of another? 115 mph is way to excessive and yes I would want the cops at my house ASAP so that they can get the body out of there.
pollycav22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 05:40 PM   #33
Green_tj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubie
Nobody who is in trouble wants a slow cop. If you happen to be unfortunate enough to miss the visual and audible clues (it's been scientifically proven to be very possible to miss these, sound and light can act funny) you may end up in a situation just like this.

I don't think police should naturally be given a pass for anything they do, however, in this case, it looks like the Deputy was doing his job (a real tough and ****ty job most people won't do for the poor assed pay they get) and the Jeep driver failed to check his mirror or look good enough to see an emergency vehicle approaching.

Also, he was legally intoxicated. He ain't gonna win this one and shouldn't.

People need to remember how badly they want the police, fire and paramedics to respond when they are in a life threatening situation and then .... well shut up.
I agree one hundred percent
Unread 01-17-2012, 11:27 AM   #34
MONSooNmonkey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
I firmly believe that when seconds count, the Police are only minutes away. This isn't a slam on Cops or other first responders, just a fact of life that your life, health, and safety really depends upon your abililty to survive the situation long enough for help to get to you. First responders are trained to drive fast, but in a safe manner. Even with lights, they have a responsibility to the public (at least in my State) to do enter intersections, drive speed, and such with great caution and concern about the driver who isn't paying attention, or the little ol lady that can't hear herself fart. After all, if the first responder crashes, then they become part of the problem, and not part of the solution as they should have been.

I'm not saying that 115 MPH was unsafe, or reckless.... but it is such a high speed, I would want to know all the details if I was the County Attorney..
Very well said!
Unread 01-17-2012, 05:19 PM   #35
rnbrwn

Yea Cmon
rnbrwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2012, 11:20 AM   #36
MONSooNmonkey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnbrwn View Post
Yea Cmon
obvious post count bumper is obvious.
Unread 01-23-2012, 03:36 PM   #37
will396

ok this happend around payette, id the man was turning into his drive way on the left and the cop struck him on the driver side so I dont think that a seat belt would have helped at that speed also picture this you are turning into your drive way and see an e-vehicle about a qaurter mile back naturally you would think you would have time to pull into your drive way to get out of there way. To the other yes I would like for the cop to get to the house quickly to respond to the call but ask yourself another question how fast is this cop getting there now.
will396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2012, 04:44 PM   #38
spdcat01TJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRider74

While I see your point...there's a flaw in this. The majority of the rest of the people on the roads are NOT trained to respond to vehicles driving this fast on the road around them and therefore tend to react poorly. People driving under emergency conditions are still required to give "due regard"...meaning, they need to take into consideration public safety in regards to their own driving. This is not possible at 115mph.
Exactly! As an emergency driver, in a high performance 911 system, i have been given some training in high speed avoidance manuevers. But 115 is too fast to be safe except on open freeway.

Emergency personnel can be held criminally liable for driving without "due regard" for the safety of others.

I think this Sherrif will be lucky to avoid jail.

NRA Member
'01 TJ Sahara, 3" BB front, 2.25" BB rear, 1.25 JKS BL, 1" MML, Skyjacker Hydro shocks,33/12.50x15 BFG TA/KO All Terrains homemade disco's, Hi-Lift, CB, GPS
spdcat01TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #39
spdcat01TJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_tj

I agree with opinions but I disagree with how you could have no idea of an e-vehicle coming code 3.
Trust me! Lights, sirens, and loud *** airhorn do not guarantee people have a clue my ambulance is coming! They do the stupidest crap when they finally realize we are 20 feet away and waiting to see what they are gonna do!
Not my opinion. Experience! You can "outrun" your lights and siren.

NRA Member
'01 TJ Sahara, 3" BB front, 2.25" BB rear, 1.25 JKS BL, 1" MML, Skyjacker Hydro shocks,33/12.50x15 BFG TA/KO All Terrains homemade disco's, Hi-Lift, CB, GPS
spdcat01TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #40
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
There is never a reason for driving this fast.....
That is an absolutely ignorant thing to say.

I don't know the FACTS of this so have no particular opinion. The Deputy may very well have been out of line, unfortunately now someone is dead, regardless of who's at fault someone's dead.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 02:32 AM   #41
JeeperSC
2008 JK Wrangler 

The sheriff car may not be at fault. Before forming up the lynch mob, learn all the FACTS! For all we know the driver of the jeep wasent paying attention and pulled Infront of the cop
Unread 02-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #42
TBailey
1983 CJ7 

We would all like the police to get to us asap if we need them. Reguardless of the call ,there is no reason the deputy should have been doing 115 mph in a residential area. He could have just as easily lost control of the car and wound up in someones living room and wiped out an entire family.
TBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 03:32 PM   #43
cameron2012
2008 JK Wrangler 

Im involved with the fire dept and when they respond to a W3 structure fire yea they speed but at every light they slow down. Goin thru neighborhoods they go about 15 over maybe if that lol but 115 in a residential area is ****in stupid the family of the Jeeper needs to file a lawsuit against the officer and/or the dept
cameron2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 03:45 PM   #44
JRocker
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_tj View Post
The siren and light give a bright enough and loud enough warning. If that driver obeyed the law that says to stop or pull over for emergency vehicles that officer never would have hit him. The officers are trained to negotiate stationary vehicles at a high speed. The jeep driver probably saw the lights and was just in a hurry and thought I am going the opposite way I can cross over real quick to the next lane. No matter what, if lights and sirens are going, you must stop and wait. I blame the jeep driver
The brightness and siren have diminishing returns at higher rates of speed. In indiana emergency vehicles don't automatically have the right of way although other vehicles are supposed to yield. The speed would be considered negligent
JRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2012, 10:30 PM   #45
95_ZJ_Limited
1995 ZJ 

I do not find this surprising in the least bit. It was bound to happen. Where I live, I am constantly being passed by officers at high rates of speed (mostly with no lights or sirens) and have had many near misses due to police officers turning thier lights on to pull through the intersection only to turn them off afterwards.
95_ZJ_Limited is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.