Safety first when recovoring vehicles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Carnage & Wrecks > Safety first when recovoring vehicles

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Gear Installs at CCOR Special

Unread 02-27-2013, 04:59 AM   #1
Billy
Unlimited Ammo

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Safety first when recovoring vehicles

I looked around the forum to see if anyone posted about this story and couldn't find anything so I thought I'd post it here.

A couple years back in Australia a kid went to help a friend out of the mud and used unsafe strapping and towing techniques that ultimately led to his death. I believe that it is a timely reminder on what can and does go wrong considering recent similar situations and related discussions on this forum.

Quote:
Coroners report:

I, (the Coroner), Find That Mr Stein died on or about the 3 October 2009, aged 18 years as a result of a Traumatic Head Injury.
Circumstances Surrounding the Death:
… the Toyota ute became bogged on a side track. A Landcruiser manoeuvred into position with the intention of towing the ute free. The ute had sunk into the mud up to its axle and was firmly bogged. A snatch strap was attached to the towing assembly of the ute; the other end was connected to an attachment point on the front of the Landcruiser. Whilst the recovery equipment was attached a number of the occupants alighted from the vehicle. Mr Stein and others remained in the Landcruiser. There was only one occupant in the bogged ute. Lighting was non-existent and illumination was obtained by using torches and the vehicle’s headlights to aid in connecting the snatch strap. Having connected the strap, the Landcruiser reversed away from the ute. During this process part of the towing assembly on the ute has broken free and smashed through the front windscreen of the Landcruiser striking Mr Stein before leaving the vehicle and landing some 90 metres behind it. The area has little or no mobile phone coverage. Team members unsuccessfully performed CPR. Both vehicles involved were examined by Transport Inspectors and were found to be un-roadworthy. However, the defects identified in both vehicles would not have contributed to the death. The towing assembly that was fitted to the ute was inspected and found to be corroded. The snatch strap was examined and showed fair wear and tear.

Tasmania Police found that:

Quote:
The snatch strap was attached to the tow ball. Snatch strap user’s guidelines and current accredited 4WD
training courses all advise that the snatch strap should never be attached to the towing ball in this type of recovery
operation.

During recovery operations using a snatch strap, all bystanders (other than the drivers’ of the two vehicles
involved in the recovery) should be at a safe distance (1.5 times the outstretched Recovery Strap length) to the
side of the recovery operation and NEVER in the line of the recovery.

There were no suspicious circumstances surrounding the death.
Comments & Recommendations:
After reviewing the evidence I am satisfied that the fatal injuries suffered by Mr Stein can be directly attributed to the
failure of the towing assembly. The towing assembly had deteriorated over time affecting its structural strength. I also
note that there was some evidence of poor quality welding on the ball coupling. It is also clear from the evidence before
me that both vehicle owners were not aware of the dangers of attaching snatch straps to tow balls when completing
recovery operations

Having considered all the material before me:

I recommend that the motoring public, particularly those using 4WD vehicles
be made aware and reminded of the dangers of using snatch straps in recovery operations.

It is important to
correctly attach (following the manufacturers recommendations) the recovery strap to a motor vehicle. A standard tow ball or vehicle tie-down point is not designed for this purpose and may result in the strap or a vehicle
component detaching from a motor vehicle and striking and seriously injuring or killing a person. Only attach the strap to a vehicle recovery point or device that is suitably rated for use with the strap.

Before I conclude this matter, I wish to convey my sincere condolences to the family of the deceased.

This matter is now concluded. Tuesday, 28 September 2010 at Burnie in the state of Tasmania . Donald John Jones. CORONER
-----

If nothing more, take this as an unfortunate reminder to maintain your equipment and replace anything that may be deteriorating, and use safe vehicle recovery techniques.

Twitter @dutchoven86
Billy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
Gates72ss
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Good info , some of the stuff i have seen on the trails (and street for that matter) is nutz....I had a close call myself , my bud's toyota was hung up on a tree on the belly skid , we were using a come along to help move it and the strap let go wrapping around my belly3-4 times, i had cuts and bruises for almost 5 months...
Gates72ss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2013, 03:08 AM   #3
WSS
1972 CJ5 

Wow, 18yo. No chance to learn the lesson. Thanks for passing it on!

WSS
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2013, 03:40 AM   #4
Billy
Unlimited Ammo

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gates72ss View Post
Good info , some of the stuff i have seen on the trails (and street for that matter) is nutz....I had a close call myself , my bud's toyota was hung up on a tree on the belly skid , we were using a come along to help move it and the strap let go wrapping around my belly3-4 times, i had cuts and bruises for almost 5 months...
Damn. That sounds rough...

Twitter @dutchoven86
Billy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2013, 08:46 AM   #5
02WJOverland666
2002 WJ 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrDBfsLnn48

Similar accident could of been alot worse.
02WJOverland666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2013, 10:26 PM   #6
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02WJOverland666 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrDBfsLnn48

Similar accident could of been alot worse.

Could have been a lot worse!
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.