Railroad Crossing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Carnage & Wrecks > Railroad Crossing

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 02-05-2010, 06:40 PM   #1
ccbhunter14
1984 CJ7 

Railroad Crossing

So I wasn't really in a wreck, but things could have turned out kinda bad if things had gone the wrong way. Anyways, here's the story:
So I'm driving to go get some Burger King in this crazy snowy weather we're having here in central Ohio. I'm coming up on a 2 sets of railroad tracks and suddenly the lights start flashing just as I start to drive over the first one and I hit the brakes because a train is coming up on the second set of tracks. It probably wasn't as close as it looked, but for safety's sake I decided to back off the first track (there were no other cars behind me) onto the road. As I go to do this the crossing bar starts coming down and I pulled back far enough just in time. It was literally inches away from smacking my soft top and hood. I know it's not really a big deal, but it all happened so quickly that it kinda startled me. I guess I was just a victim of bad timing lol. Has anybody else experienced this? I thought they had sensors on those things to keep them from coming down onto vehicles!

ccbhunter14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2010, 06:44 PM   #2
-Deepskyy-
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccbhunter14 View Post
So I wasn't really in a wreck, but things could have turned out kinda bad if things had gone the wrong way. Anyways, here's the story:
So I'm driving to go get some Burger King in this crazy snowy weather we're having here in central Ohio. I'm coming up on a 2 sets of railroad tracks and suddenly the lights start flashing just as I start to drive over the first one and I hit the brakes because a train is coming up on the second set of tracks. It probably wasn't as close as it looked, but for safety's sake I decided to back off the first track (there were no other cars behind me) onto the road. As I go to do this the crossing bar starts coming down and I pulled back far enough just in time. It was literally inches away from smacking my soft top and hood. I know it's not really a big deal, but it all happened so quickly that it kinda startled me. I guess I was just a victim of bad timing lol. Has anybody else experienced this? I thought they had sensors on those things to keep them from coming down onto vehicles!
Nope, no sensors. I've seen one of my buddies get hit in the head with one when we were stupid kids.
-Lt. General Charles, Earl Cornwallis after the battle of Guilford Courthouse NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outatime05 View Post
Females are a dime-a-dozen. Jeeps are forever. Easy choice. Be indispensible or be gone. :wave:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdavetj View Post
We are Jeepforum. We can do the unthinkable. We are Jeep strong. And head stubborn. We are. JEEPFORUM.
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Red Jeep #543
-Deepskyy- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2010, 02:30 PM   #3
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

How's this. I was driving my SJ jeep (82 Cherokee.) I was driving alongside a set of train tracks, and heard the train horn. No problem, it's the stopped train next to me. I come up on a unguarded (no lights or arm) crossing on the street I'm driving on. Just as I'm crossing I look to the left and there's a train coming fast, and it's real close. I just barely make it over without being t-boned. Turns out the train horn was from the moving train, and the other train was stopped so it could pass (the two tracks intersect.) So even if you hear a horn and see a train, always check all tracks in the vicinity.
jumbojeepman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2010, 01:21 PM   #4
aaonms

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Operation Lifesaver
aaonms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2010, 02:29 PM   #5
0IIIIIII0
2003 TJ Wrangler 

My Dad tells stories of his grandfather, a lifelong train engineer, chastising him for crossing tracks without looking both ways before crossing. Protective gates or not. He would say in his southern drawl "You wanna die Son!!" Since then, I have always stopped and looked. I don't trust mechanical things like that to protect me. Same goes for gun safeties.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
- Samuel Adams
0IIIIIII0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.