(Not Jeep) Suspension Fail - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Carnage & Wrecks > (Not Jeep) Suspension Fail

Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-30-2010, 08:40 PM   #1
sxshep
2000 XJ Cherokee 

(Not Jeep) Suspension Fail

[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JCfgx_krIo0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JCfgx_krIo0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]

That will be expensive to fix... Should have used Duct Tape

sxshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2010, 11:25 PM   #2
stlouis400ex

holy **** thats crazy!!
stlouis400ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2010, 12:08 AM   #3
jeepdavetj
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Huh, guess they can blame years of watchin the Duke boys for that.

[B][I]Ash from Army of Darkness[/I][/B][QUOTE]Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?[/QUOTE]
jeepdavetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2010, 12:31 AM   #4
DINOCAVE
formerly CPT Jeep

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Better check your welds!
DINOCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2010, 12:35 AM   #5
crem
1998 XJ Cherokee 

yea mall curbs usually are not that big..
crem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2010, 06:18 PM   #6
KevLaredo
1997 XJ Cherokee 

From the looks of the truck they weren't really hurting in the money department anyway but i still have to wonder what kind of install error could cause such a bad collapse....
Unread 02-01-2010, 04:30 PM   #7
KevLaredo
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Has anyone else noticed that this exact truck is on the cover of four wheeler magazine this month? They brag about it's offroad ability and claim it's value at 300,000 dollars too. Can't find anything about it online but i read the article at advance auto today. I am 200 percent sure it is the same truck.
Unread 02-05-2010, 10:23 AM   #8
Fhajad
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Off road ability yet it can't clear a 8 inch rock?
Fhajad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2010, 10:37 AM   #9
KevLaredo
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fhajad View Post
Off road ability yet it can't clear a 8 inch rock?
In all fairness such a mistake can only be caused by poor installation. I believe the article discloses the name of the shop who worked on this truck.
Unread 02-05-2010, 01:29 PM   #10
Fhajad
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevLaredo View Post
In all fairness such a mistake can only be caused by poor installation. I believe the article discloses the name of the shop who worked on this truck.
It's not the fact it feel apart. I don't think it could off road considering how the axles and a bunch of other things are so low. Even when it was working.
Fhajad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2010, 02:20 PM   #11
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

"Hey Jimmy, did you ferget sum of dem bolts?"

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2010, 02:47 PM   #12
KevLaredo
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fhajad View Post
It's not the fact it feel apart. I don't think it could off road considering how the axles and a bunch of other things are so low. Even when it was working.
I guess they are pretty low, but i took my old 72 offroad all the time and had no problems. The axles on it are pretty low.....

Unread 02-06-2010, 08:27 PM   #13
adam728
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Looking at other pics of this truck the coil overs mount with a single bolt passing though both, and not in double shear. Basically there's a thick tab off the axle, and the coil over eyes are on either side of it with one bolt through them both. Definitely NOT in ideal setup.
Sienna Jeep Club - Member #8
Plans and pics, put an 8" sub in your TJ center console
adam728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2010, 08:39 PM   #14
adam728
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Found pic. See how one bolt on each corner has to deal with holding the weight of the truck (springs), as well as all the damping forces? Bad bad bad.

Making the mounts double shear for the bolts would make that junction easily 3 times as strong because it also removes the bending forces. I really can't believe it wasn't built that way from the beginning. Even the factory shock mounts on almost all vehicles are in double shear, and they don't even deal with carrying the weight of the vehicle like the coil over mounts do. Dumb dumb dumb!
Sienna Jeep Club - Member #8
Plans and pics, put an 8" sub in your TJ center console
adam728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2010, 09:43 PM   #15
KevLaredo
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam728 View Post
Found pic. See how one bolt on each corner has to deal with holding the weight of the truck (springs), as well as all the damping forces? Bad bad bad.

Making the mounts double shear for the bolts would make that junction easily 3 times as strong because it also removes the bending forces. I really can't believe it wasn't built that way from the beginning. Even the factory shock mounts on almost all vehicles are in double shear, and they don't even deal with carrying the weight of the vehicle like the coil over mounts do. Dumb dumb dumb!
Wow dude. You've got a great point. I can't believe so many magazines covered this truck. I guess it really shows how little people care about functionality versus looks these days....

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.