My 2nd Jeep wreck - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Carnage & Wrecks > My 2nd Jeep wreck

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 09-05-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

After my near-fatal wreck in 2004, I bought another Jeep GC, this time, an OverLand. This 2002 Overland was very nice. I bought it from a shop in Columbus off of AutoTrader.com. It had 54,000 miles on it. I drove it for work, every day, covering an area of 7 counties in the SW corner of Ohio. I bought it in Sept. 2004 and it got T-boned in May 2007. I was at a stop sign, in a small town, when I looked to my left, no traffic. Looked to my right, and a utility van was just coming around a corner about 1500 feet away. I figured I had time to go through, so I started to go. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw this guy was going to hit me. He was on me so fast, it startled me.
He hit me, BANG, so hard it spun me around 270 degrees. I was struck on passenger side, causing side air bag deployment. The speed limit was 25 MPH, but he had to have been going much faster to cause this kind of damage, because it broke the rear wheel off the driver side and the back window off of it’s hinges.
It shifted the whole rear axle over by 8 inches and broke the rear drive-shaft. You can see what he did to the passenger door.
I was cited for failing to enter through cleared roadway. I never even saw the other guy, as he never got out of his van. It was one of those vans that haul medical oxygen to people. I asked the deputy to check his breath or blood-level for alcohol, but the pompous-a$$ed, little snot didn't do a thing. He wouldn't even give me his name.
There was NO way this guy was doing 25, and he didn't even try to miss me. At 25, you, obviously, can see someone pulling out into the road and have enough time to stop. This wreck hurt my neck, but because I didn't file until 9 months later, Worker's Comp would not pay for anything. They give you two years to file. My lawyers screwed me on this, too, by sending some moron, who didn't know me, nor my history.
This driver was either drunk, asleep, or just not paying attention.
Needless to say, the insurance company totaled it, because of air bag deployment. It had to be towed. My car was full of expensive company and personal items, so I was going to clear them out, before they towed it. Notice the license plate? I finally retired that one after a couple more small fender-benders. It was only JEEP, plus my initials.
I got screwed, blued, and tattooed by the Preble County Sheriff's dept. in Ohio. If you ever go through Preble County, in Ohio, try not to get into a wreck.
This car had a new transmission, 6 month-old Michelin tires, new HVAC unit. Whoever bought this at auction got a deal. I only got $8000 for it. I didn't have the fore-sight, at the time, to take anything off of it.

[IMG][/IMG]

I still haven't figured out how to put the photos ON this page, because I added the image links, so just click on this thread and it will take you to the photos.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers

rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
79chiefs
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Like the tags. Thats a sharp jeep. If it were me i would try to fix it. Even though the axle shifted it could be fixed, i helped a buddy fix his, but he was hit harder, we had to pull the door frames out on his all new glass on one side and some fab work on the underside to repair the damage the pulled off axle caused.
Had/have 6Jeeps/5Cherokees/4XJ's
79chiefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2014, 07:20 AM   #3
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

I thought if asked for name and badge# an officer was obliged to give it to you? I'd want to sue the police force as you suspected a possible DUI and he refused to test him. I'm lucky as most of the OPP around me are pretty good. Peel regional though. That's another story. Got pulled over for nothing more than having a lifted XJ on 33's. Took this guy about an hour and all he could come up with is "you changed the colour of your truck from what the ownership says" Even after showing him I matched the original painted, and that the ministry deemed it was 'red'. (colour was "black cherry" which is a maroon type colour. Thing I found though is that the ministry over-rides whatever he may think. The woman I talked to said if they deemed it was blue, it's blue. Only a judge could ask them to change it) I actually called the station and made a formal complaint about it. He was giving a ticket to some woman and couldn't complete it fast enough to pull me over, and in doing so almost hit another car cutting him off as I was ahead in the middle lane. No cure for stupid, even if they do have a badge.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.