JK wrecked over the weekend - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Carnage & Wrecks > JK wrecked over the weekend

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-22-2009, 06:18 PM   #1
groverNH
1998 TJ Wrangler 

JK wrecked over the weekend

I know I don't post very often but I thought some might be interested in these pictures

Last Saturday (July 18th) we were headed to cape cod MA on RT3 (a 3 lane highway). We were traveling in the left lane when traffic came to a stop. The guy behind didn't stop. He hit my wife's JK and pushed us into the vehicle in front. Pretty sure the guy didn't hit the brakes. We got pushed into a 1993 GMC full size pickup. We pushed the pickup into the minivan in front of it. The GMC came to rest perpendicular to the lane with its bed in the middle lane. The front half of our JK ended up in the middle lane as well.

Didn't get any pictures at the scene but I have some from tow truck lot of my wife's JK and the white Chevy that hit us from behind.

Now the airbags didn't go off in our JK and I think they probably should have. Judging from the pictures what do you guys think?

http://s534.photobucket.com/albums/e.../Crashed%20JK/

Oh yeah, Everyone was ok wife, kids and dog.

Thanks

groverNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2009, 07:26 PM   #2
Ford_Prefect
1984 CJ7 

That is a shame. I would think that it should have popped the bags too, very surprising that it did not. Sorry about your loss. Guess now if you wanted to get that different transmission or something...

If you can read this thank a teacher; if you can read it in English, thank an Airman, Sailor, Soldier or Marine
Ford_Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2009, 08:11 PM   #3
groverNH
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks.

whats wrong with a manual?
Unread 07-23-2009, 11:47 AM   #4
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry to see, but glad everyone was alright. The airbags didn't deploy probably because the shock force generated by the impact wasn't strong enough.
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2009, 12:44 PM   #5
That1guy
2007 WK 

Jk won that round.
Unread 07-23-2009, 01:21 PM   #6
guitarguy
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Wow, that's some accident...

I got into a crash with my TJ in August, last year, didn't look half as bad as that (although it was head on), and my airbags did deploy.

That said, I believe most air bags will only deploy OVER a certain speed, I'm not sure exactly what speed, but something like over 20 or 25mph. I'll do some google searching to try to confirm that.

So if you were stopped in traffic, the impact could have been higher than the 8-9g threshold of the accelerometers(sp?), but the speed wasn't high enough to deploy the bags.
guitarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2009, 03:44 PM   #7
groverNH
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the concern. Its appreciated.

I'll tell you the shock force certainly felt strong enough though I obviously have know idea what they were. I ended up calling chrysler to see what causes the airbags to go off, they didn't answer me but they are sending some out to determine if they should have gone off. I guess they are going to try to pull the data off the computer. I'll post up what they conclude.

On a side not we heard back from the appraiser and he says so far they estimate 11-12k in damages but they want it to be stripped down so they can determine the full extent of the damages. So now I guess I'm just waiting on the insurance company.

Thanks again guys.
Unread 07-23-2009, 03:59 PM   #8
InfernoGirl
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Wow! Glad you all are ok. Jeep can be fixed or replaced, you can't.

01 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L, auto Sienna Mine
07 2D Rubicon Flame Red His
InfernoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2009, 08:02 AM   #9
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry as well about the wreck. That is my biggest fear, not of wrecking my TJ, but some idiot wrecking it for me. I'd cry like a baby.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2009, 06:00 PM   #10
the6nightmares
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Oh man that sucks, sorry to hear

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.