(Hopefully) Minor damage from drunk driver - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Carnage & Wrecks > (Hopefully) Minor damage from drunk driver

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-31-2010, 06:50 PM   #1
bsbllyan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

(Hopefully) Minor damage from drunk driver

So I woke up this morning to find a car smashed into the side of my jeep. Apparently a drunk girl last night ran into the car at the end of the row, which pushed the middle car into my jeep. She then left the scene and was later charged with hit and run. Her insurance has to pay for all three.

bsbllyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2010, 11:42 PM   #2
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Nice... Is it just body damage? that car looks pretty far under your jeep there in that second pic.
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2010, 06:10 AM   #3
bsbllyan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I hope its just body damage. I'm taking it to the shop today to have them check out the axle/wheel since the car slid directly into the wheel. It's nice, though, that the drunk girl's insurance is paying for repairs on all three of the cars.
Unread 02-01-2010, 09:26 AM   #4
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

They should be, it wasnt anyones fault but hers. I'd immagine she'll get dropped right away too.
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2010, 09:46 AM   #5
getoffmyland
2007 JK Wrangler 

make sure garage does a good check on it.... you dont want a problem 6 months later with the axel, say it has slightly dammaged a bearing, what comeback do you have in 6 months?
getoffmyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2010, 01:36 PM   #6
bsbllyan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I got a preliminary estimate from a garage of about $2500 (almost half the total value of the jeep). They said they couldn't estimate a bent axle because it's not visibly damaged, but if they find it is damaged when they do the 4 wheel alignment/other repairs then they are just going to charge the additional cost to the girls insurance company.
Unread 02-02-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
getoffmyland
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbllyan View Post
I got a preliminary estimate from a garage of about $2500 (almost half the total value of the jeep). They said they couldn't estimate a bent axle because it's not visibly damaged, but if they find it is damaged when they do the 4 wheel alignment/other repairs then they are just going to charge the additional cost to the girls insurance company.
if they find it is out of alignment then it could have done more damage that you cant see (like crack a bearing shell) that will probably be ok for a few thousand miles.
getoffmyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2010, 12:57 PM   #8
jeepdavetj
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I wouldn't sign off on anything for atleast 6 months after repairs.

[B][I]Ash from Army of Darkness[/I][/B][QUOTE]Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?[/QUOTE]
jeepdavetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2010, 01:09 PM   #9
bsbllyan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

What do you mean "you wouldn't sign off on anything"? Is there something else after the insurance pays for all the repairs? I've never done this before.
Unread 02-04-2010, 07:54 PM   #10
Fhajad
1993 YJ Wrangler 

With medical bills I had an agreement that they'd pay the first ER bill and every bill relating to it for 6 months.

You can do the same thing for the insurance of your damage vehicle.
Fhajad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2010, 10:56 PM   #11
aircruiser
gravity sucks

1996 XJ Cherokee 

i dont get it..so she hit the first honda which hit the other honda? did the other honda get moved back into its spot?
aircruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2010, 01:21 AM   #12
jeepdavetj
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbllyan View Post
What do you mean "you wouldn't sign off on anything"? Is there something else after the insurance pays for all the repairs? I've never done this before.
Basically since you are totally not at fault here you have them by the balls. You call the shots. If something isn't right or you feel as if they may be missing something you don't have to accept it as a done deal till your happy. So after repairs are made tell them they cannot close this till you have driven the vehicle for a while and are 100% sure there is no damage to the rear end, or anything else that could be damaged from a sudden lateral hit. Including many other components such as transmission, transfer case, or any mounts or brackets on mechanical or body components. Go in there KNOWING what your talking about and they will be less likely to try and take you for a ride so to speak. Oh, and demand that you get a rental till your back in your vehicle. There should be NO inconvience to you except for what cannot be helped.

[B][I]Ash from Army of Darkness[/I][/B][QUOTE]Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?[/QUOTE]
jeepdavetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2010, 08:30 AM   #13
bsbllyan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircruiser View Post
i dont get it..so she hit the first honda which hit the other honda? did the other honda get moved back into its spot?
The owner of the first honda that was hit somehow managed to pull out from next to the middle honda and park it in the original parking spot. He did this before I got out there, so I'm not really sure how it all happened.
Unread 02-05-2010, 08:44 AM   #14
bigred33
1999 TJ Wrangler 

What kind of car was the girl driving? That looks like some good damage for a parking lot speed type deal. Big SUV/truck or something? To go through 3 cars basically she had to have some speed or size or both going.
bigred33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2010, 08:52 AM   #15
Fhajad
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'd say Crown Vic, but girls don't normally drive a Vic.
Fhajad is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.