Got rear ended the other day.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Carnage & Wrecks > Got rear ended the other day..

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRoad Race Motorsports Stage 2 Power Pack

Unread 05-24-2009, 04:43 PM   #1
dirtslut97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Got rear ended the other day..

I was on my way to work and the cars in front of me stopped because one was turning off onto a side road. Apparently the truck coming up behind me was not paying attention and when i checked my rearview it was too late to move and i got hit pretty hard. He was going a little over 40 and i was slowed down to about 5 mph.

The damage to his 08 Chevy Silverado was quite substantial, and the only visible damage to my jeep that i noticed right off is a warped tailgate, two dents on my rear corner and the hi-lift mounts on my bumper are bent.

After inspecting the jeep it looks like my body mounts were bent forward and my jeep is making quite a few noises when i turn and my brakes feel weird as well.

Since it was his fault his insurance is paying for everything so i was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on what to look for because i want my jeep back to normal again. Also does anybody know if i will be given compensation for having to miss work that day?

dirtslut97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2009, 05:14 PM   #2
bremz8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

get your frame looked at 40 mph collision is bound to have bent it. thats totaling damage:x
Unread 05-25-2009, 01:00 AM   #3
Doctor7474
2013 JK Wrangler 

I'm an insurance appraiser.

Clean retail (like mint) for 144k (guesstimate 12k/year) miles on a 97 6 cylinder is about 6000$

Here 75% of retail value = a total.

4500$ = a total if you Jeep is in clean retail condition.

I'd bet you have that much damage based on just what you saw.

You are looking at a total loss in your future.

What sucks is you won't get much for your modifications if you have any. If you can provide receipts they are still pro-rated by how long you have had the mods and how much use you have gotten out of them.

Sorry.
Doctor7474 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2009, 10:22 AM   #4
dirtslut97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ooh if my frame is bent that would not be good at all..if they do total it, hopefully i will get the option of buying it back..

i also just noticed that when i try to make a sharp turn in a parking lot, per se, it seems like i'm in 4 wheel drive because the tires are hopping a bit..idk..i'll get a few different shops to check it out and get the best estimate...
Unread 05-25-2009, 10:33 AM   #5
DBLJ
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I would stop driving it before something finishes breaking.
DBLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2009, 10:41 AM   #6
dirtslut97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I would but i do not have another source of transportation to and from work.

With my luck it happened friday and i cannot do anything about it until tomorrow because of the insurance offices not being open during the Memorial day holiday.
Unread 05-26-2009, 09:43 AM   #7
bigred33
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBTJ View Post
I would stop driving it before something finishes breaking.
+1

And get a rental car, the insurance should compensate you for it.
bigred33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2009, 09:50 AM   #8
Heavymetal2000
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtslut97 View Post
Ooh if my frame is bent that would not be good at all..if they do total it, hopefully i will get the option of buying it back..

i also just noticed that when i try to make a sharp turn in a parking lot, per se, it seems like i'm in 4 wheel drive because the tires are hopping a bit..idk..i'll get a few different shops to check it out and get the best estimate...
Thats sounds exactly like what my ranger that got rear ended was doing. Ended up being a bent frame-total write off. I was lucky though got more then what i paid back from insurance.
Unread 05-26-2009, 02:13 PM   #9
dirtslut97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well hopefully i will get compensation for having to miss work and medical bills paid as well..

If my jeep does end up being totalled and considered a complete loss to fix then my plans are to buy it back from the insurance company and using the money to fix it back as much as i can, or just turn it into a ridiculous trail rig and get something else to drive around.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.