Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Got rear ended the other day..

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  dirtslut97 
#1 ·
I was on my way to work and the cars in front of me stopped because one was turning off onto a side road. Apparently the truck coming up behind me was not paying attention and when i checked my rearview it was too late to move and i got hit pretty hard. He was going a little over 40 and i was slowed down to about 5 mph.

The damage to his 08 Chevy Silverado was quite substantial, and the only visible damage to my jeep that i noticed right off is a warped tailgate, two dents on my rear corner and the hi-lift mounts on my bumper are bent.

After inspecting the jeep it looks like my body mounts were bent forward and my jeep is making quite a few noises when i turn and my brakes feel weird as well.

Since it was his fault his insurance is paying for everything so i was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on what to look for because i want my jeep back to normal again. Also does anybody know if i will be given compensation for having to miss work that day?

#3 ·
I'm an insurance appraiser.

Clean retail (like mint) for 144k (guesstimate 12k/year) miles on a 97 6 cylinder is about 6000$

Here 75% of retail value = a total.

4500$ = a total if you Jeep is in clean retail condition.

I'd bet you have that much damage based on just what you saw.

You are looking at a total loss in your future.

What sucks is you won't get much for your modifications if you have any. If you can provide receipts they are still pro-rated by how long you have had the mods and how much use you have gotten out of them.

Sorry.

#4 ·
Ooh if my frame is bent that would not be good at all..if they do total it, hopefully i will get the option of buying it back..

i also just noticed that when i try to make a sharp turn in a parking lot, per se, it seems like i'm in 4 wheel drive because the tires are hopping a bit..idk..i'll get a few different shops to check it out and get the best estimate...

#9 ·
Well hopefully i will get compensation for having to miss work and medical bills paid as well..

If my jeep does end up being totalled and considered a complete loss to fix then my plans are to buy it back from the insurance company and using the money to fix it back as much as i can, or just turn it into a ridiculous trail rig and get something else to drive around. :2thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.