Girl, 7, drives crashed Jeep to get help after dad is ejected - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Carnage & Wrecks > Girl, 7, drives crashed Jeep to get help after dad is ejected

Old Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble Fairleads

Unread 05-27-2009, 12:27 PM   #1
bigred33
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Girl, 7, drives crashed Jeep to get help after dad is ejected

This is sad

http://www.cnjonline.com/news/bovina...-rollover.html

Bovina man dies in vehicle rollover
Comments 11 | Recommend 2
7-year-old drives crashed vehicle in attempt to get help
Tuesday, May 26 2009, 6:31 pm
CNJ staff
A 7-year-old Bovina girl drove her father’s crashed Jeep in an attempt get help Saturday night after he was ejected and killed in a rollover east of Clovis.

Guillermo Montes, 40, was pronounced dead around 10 p.m., State Police Capt. Jimmy Glascock said Monday.

The crash occurred on State Road 77, or Pleasant Hill Highway.

Glascock said Montes was speeding and lost control going into a turn, causing his Jeep Cherokee to roll.

Montes’ 7-year-old daughter, Elizabeth Kazza, and 3-year-old son were unrestrained in the vehicle at the time of the crash.

When her father was ejected, Glascock said Elizabeth tried to drive the Jeep to get help, referring to her efforts as heart-breaking.

“She knew he was killed and she was driving to get help in the vehicle,” he said.

“(It took) a lot of courage. ... It’s remarkable anybody could drive after something like that.”

She made it about three miles before a passing motorist saw the girl trying to drive the crashed vehicle and stopped to render assistance, he said.

Responders located Montes’ body and he was pronounced dead at the scene.

The crash is being investigated as alcohol related, according to a state police news release.

Glascock said beer bottles were found at the scene and the children made statements that Montes had driven to Clovis to buy beer and was drinking as he headed back to Bovina.

The children were treated at Plains Regional Medical Center for minor bumps and bruises and were turned over to the care of their mother.

Bovina is located about 25 miles north east of Clovis.

bigred33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2009, 12:33 PM   #2
98zjdave
1998 ZJ 

what the hell is wrong with people these days. I feel for that little girl and her brother, and how this will impact them in the years to come. I really do that is terrible.

But.. on a good note. Maybe their life will be better without that ******* to cause any more damage to them..
Who knows what he might of been capable of, he obviously was a drunk/boozer.
98zjdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2009, 11:21 AM   #3
jeepdavetj
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I'm impressed actually that she could drive it. My 9yo daughter can drive my XJ but she has trouble with the clutch in the TJ. More of a reach issue than anything else. Ever since she could reach I have been teaching her how to drive incase there is ever an emergency where I can't or am out of commission. Sad that this little girl had to due to a frankly bad father.

[B][I]Ash from Army of Darkness[/I][/B][QUOTE]Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?[/QUOTE]
jeepdavetj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2009, 10:25 AM   #4
SHIFTYXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I am just glad that the kids both survived. sad that he lost his life over booze but at least it wasnt the innocent ones...this time.
SHIFTYXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2009, 06:39 PM   #5
grymsr
Vintage Member

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm sorry but drunk drivers who kill themselves are no big loss to me. When they get drunk and climb behind the wheel, they are taking chances with every one else's lives as well as their own. Too many innocent people have been injured and killed by thoughtless, selfish, criminal drunks who just have to drive that way.

I'm glad the kid's made it okay, though they will have to live for years with the trauma of seeing their father killed.

It may seem cold, but at least the guy won't kill anyone else now.

Black Jeep Club v1.0 and v2.0 #1776
DR Z MUST BE STOPPED #7
grymsr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2009, 09:29 AM   #6
Ford_Prefect
1984 CJ7 

I can fully understand the ire that people feel over drunken drivers. I tend to feel the same way. I would only ask us all to consider this one thought...

Perhaps he was NOT "Clearly a drunk" perhaps he just lost his job that very day and made a really stupid choice. Perhaps he was a really great father who, in depression, made a very poor choice.

Not seat belting his children irks me to a large degree, but again, just a little levity is invited.

Each of us has made poor choices in our lives in some degree, lets not be overly hard on this man, and his obviously poor choice.

God rest his sole, and may he find more peace in the next life than he did here with us.

If you can read this thank a teacher; if you can read it in English, thank an Airman, Sailor, Soldier or Marine
Ford_Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2009, 12:17 PM   #7
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Very sad, especially for his kids.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2009, 11:44 PM   #8
ghost183
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Prefect View Post
I can fully understand the ire that people feel over drunken drivers. I tend to feel the same way. I would only ask us all to consider this one thought...

Perhaps he was NOT "Clearly a drunk" perhaps he just lost his job that very day and made a really stupid choice. Perhaps he was a really great father who, in depression, made a very poor choice.

Not seat belting his children irks me to a large degree, but again, just a little levity is invited.

Each of us has made poor choices in our lives in some degree, lets not be overly hard on this man, and his obviously poor choice.

God rest his sole, and may he find more peace in the next life than he did here with us.

x2.. extremely well put, from obviously a very insightful optimistic man..

this guy paid the ultimate price for his mistake, or should i say chain of mistakes obviously, but its both heartwarming that the kids survived unscathed and a little bothersome knowing those kids last memory of their father is of him drinking and driving and seeing him died on the side of the street.. he might have been the biggest a-hole.. but a childs father is a childs father.. it wouldve been better they didnt see it happen.. but anyway...

i tip my hat to you ford prefect
Important Notice:... DUE TO RECENT BUDGET CUTS, STOCK MARKET PERFORMANCE, RISING COST OF ELECTRICITY, GAS AND OIL... THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL HAS BEEN TURNED OFF.... WE APOLOGIZE FOR THE INCONVENIENCE............ Regards:... THE GOVERNMENT
ghost183 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2009, 07:03 AM   #9
hawkzrno1
2007 JK Wrangler 

That's a sad story all around.
Gutsy effort on the girl's part.
Craig.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.