Freak accident at Edmonton Topless Jeep day... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Carnage & Wrecks > Freak accident at Edmonton Topless Jeep day...

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Reply
Unread 05-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #16
tucsonzj
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 2,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragginwagon406 View Post
If mechanical failure...the accident could have happened anywhere.

How many of these have you read about?

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47913
First off, we don't know if its actually a mechanical failure or not. Let's wait for the investigation of if it was a driver miscalculation.

And a jeep flipping onto another (whether it be due to mechanical failure or driver failure), this displays the same reasoning I posted before. Any time there is an increased risk of a roll (yes accidents happen all the time, jeeps roll over on the road, we get it, not talking about that) people need to be a safe distance away.

__________________
"washing it inside and out is on my to-do, eventually, maybe, if I have time, OOOH angle grinder."
tucsonzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #17
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler
 
WhiteOut's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj View Post
First off, we don't know if its actually a mechanical failure or not. Let's wait for the investigation of if it was a driver miscalculation.

And a jeep flipping onto another (whether it be due to mechanical failure or driver failure), this displays the same reasoning I posted before. Any time there is an increased risk of a roll (yes accidents happen all the time, jeeps roll over on the road, we get it, not talking about that) people need to be a safe distance away.
The silver JK that the Jeep flipped on wasn't the one they were using to stack. It went forward, hit another Jeep and that's where she was crushed. If it had simply rolled off the black Jeep, no one would have been hurt.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #18
tucsonzj
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 2,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
The silver JK that the Jeep flipped on wasn't the one they were using to stack. It went forward, hit another Jeep and that's where she was crushed. If it had simply rolled off the black Jeep, no one would have been hurt.
exactly my point though, stay out of the area it could possibly roll into if it were to happen. Better to be on the side of caution.
__________________
"washing it inside and out is on my to-do, eventually, maybe, if I have time, OOOH angle grinder."
tucsonzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #19
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler
 
WhiteOut's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj View Post
exactly my point though, stay out of the area it could possibly roll into if it were to happen. Better to be on the side of caution.
So your answer is to close off possible areas where an accident could occur? If you take that approach, you would have zero space for spectators, places to put the Jeeps that show up or for people to walk around. You need to balance reasonable safety requirements with your available space. Exclusion area where a Jeep could fall off the RTI ramp, doubling up weights on winch cables, coning off areas around the blindfold race, making sure you have enough event staff to marshal everything and having organized parking.

I've planned and executed 4 of these and probably put 3,000+ people through the gates without a single incident. I'm not just blathering on about how to safely run one. Now, we never stacked Jeeps, but I'd have zero issues with doing it with the precautions we had in place. What happened is virtually impossible to plan for and is something no one would have considered before last weekend.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #20
tucsonzj
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 2,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post

So your answer is to close off possible areas where an accident could occur? If you take that approach, you would have zero space for spectators, places to put the Jeeps that show up or for people to walk around. You need to balance reasonable safety requirements with your available space. Exclusion area where a Jeep could fall off the RTI ramp, doubling up weights on winch cables, coning off areas around the blindfold race, making sure you have enough event staff to marshal everything and having organized parking.

I've planned and executed 4 of these and probably put 3,000+ people through the gates without a single incident. I'm not just blathering on about how to safely run one. Now, we never stacked Jeeps, but I'd have zero issues with doing it with the precautions we had in place. What happened is virtually impossible to plan for and is something no one would have considered before last weekend.
My idea is exactly what you're saying, be over prepared. Yes this what a freak accident, the statement I'm responding to is that stacking is safe. It provides an extra opportunity for an accident to happen. Of course people watch at events, me included. I've watched vehicles go up extreme objects. As you know, the spotters do they're best to stay out of harms way when they position. Needless to say I do my best to think an extra step ahead in case something does go wrong. Not saying other people don't or that event planers don't, because they do. That was all my point was.
__________________
"washing it inside and out is on my to-do, eventually, maybe, if I have time, OOOH angle grinder."
tucsonzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 04:52 PM   #21
dragginwagon406
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Northwest Ohio
Posts: 1,277
The stacking took place on one side of the aisle, the accident on the other. He could have been simply parking at that point, the Jeep took off across the parking lot. From what I read, she was 5-6 meters away, stacking takes less than one meter.

She would not have expected a runaway Jeep headed her direction. He could not have expected to be piloting a runaway Jeep. The organizers could not have expected the situation either. To eliminate every possibility of runaway vehicles at future car shows, all vehicles would have to be towed on site and never started. Sounds over the top to me, does't sound like a show many people will show or attend. At that point, what's the point?

This was a freak accident, whether driver error or mechanical failure. We can't live our lives based on freak accidents, there are too many real hazards to worry about.
dragginwagon406 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 04:39 AM   #22
dragginwagon406
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Northwest Ohio
Posts: 1,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj View Post
No jeep activity is safe. There are things we can do to make it safer. There's a reason people shouldn't stand or sit on the trails next to a vehicle trying to crawl something that could cause the vehicle to roll over or slide suddenly.
No Jeep activity is any more dangerous than driving to work. To me, that is quite safe.

The danger area while climbing an obstacle is in the direction of travel or on the downhill side, haven't seen too many Jeeps roll uphill.
dragginwagon406 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 07:55 AM   #23
atr911
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12
RIP. Always unfortunate when something like this happens at what should be a fun and charitable event.
atr911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2014, 08:59 AM   #24
dragginwagon406
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Northwest Ohio
Posts: 1,277
It's been over a year, anyone hear anything more about the investigation?
dragginwagon406 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.