Freak accident at Edmonton Topless Jeep day... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Carnage & Wrecks > Freak accident at Edmonton Topless Jeep day...

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 05-18-2013, 08:31 PM   #1
Maverickxeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Freak accident at Edmonton Topless Jeep day...

If this is the wrong forum, please move it.

This happened to a local club member (a club I recently joined; was hoping to meet this man) today.

Here is the link:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/story/2013/05/18/edmonton-spectator-killed-jeep-event.html

I was only there after it happened; but I didnt realize how bad it was... The guy posted on the facebook group (I wont post that out of his privacy; I know he is in rough shape right now) that he has no idea what happened... his clutch was in, and his brakes were engage (park brake and regular brakes).

I am not sure whats going to happen now; but the club has really pulled together for him. From what Ive seen he is an awesome guy; and this just was a freak accident. Had he known the girl was nearby he would not have attempted this, Im told; hes very safe-conscious. There is a candlelight vigil tonight for him and the girl; but I wont be able to make it (Im away from the city).

Im told by one person that his cousin was standing close to the girl who was crushed; and actually had her blood hit him; he is very traumatized.

In short, I just wanted everyone to know that these vehicles are awesome; but when people are posing, even something as 'safe' as this, do NOT go close to it unless you ABSOLUTELY have to.

If someone happens to start a support group or something for him and the girl; I will share it with Jeepforum. We are all 'jeepers' arent we? I know he needs all the support he can get right now.

Maverickxeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #2
PlatinumOre
2008 JK Wrangler 

Just saw the news report, terrible. Gotta keep safe distance.

http://globalnews.ca/news/573879/wom...oliver-square/
PlatinumOre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 09:30 PM   #3
bobjp

That's terrible. Jeep stacking is just so stupid, and now someone was killed from it. All those people around, and nobody saw it as a bad idea to stand close?
Unread 05-19-2013, 10:00 PM   #4
dragginwagon406
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjp View Post
That's terrible. Jeep stacking is just so stupid, and now someone was killed from it. All those people around, and nobody saw it as a bad idea to stand close?
The tire crawling was done, they posed for photos, etc...it happened after.

The woman was not standing too close, the orange Jeep crossed the parking lot to collide with the silver Jeep.
dragginwagon406 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 10:05 PM   #5
Maverickxeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragginwagon406 View Post
The tire crawling was done, they posed for photos, etc...it happened after.

The woman was not standing too close, the orange Jeep crossed the parking lot to collide with the silver Jeep.
The jeep was still on the tire when it happened. The driver lost control somehow (he says he had the brakes, and clutch pressed; and it accelerated anyways).

On another note, a local news company (CTV) decided it was a GOOD idea to publish his name when the POLICE havent. They also posted his post on facebook; that has since been deleted. They are completely disgusting.
Unread 05-19-2013, 10:10 PM   #6
dragginwagon406
1998 TJ Wrangler 

How can the Jeep be on the tire of one vehicle and crossing the parking lot to collide with another?

And yes, I checked out https://www.facebook.com/groups/ABJKOwners/ before all the posts were deleted. I read what he posted and was reported.
Unread 05-19-2013, 10:14 PM   #7
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
How can the Jeep be on the tire of one vehicle and crossing the parking lot to collide with another?

And yes, I checked out https://www.facebook.com/groups/ABJKOwners/ before all the posts were deleted. I read what he posted and was reported.
It lurched forward and hit the silver JK that the woman was sitting on. The silver JK clearly shows signs of a front end impact and of being pushed back.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 10:19 PM   #8
dragginwagon406
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
It lurched forward and hit the silver JK that the woman was sitting on. The silver JK clearly shows signs of a front end impact and of being pushed back.
Understand that but the silver Jeep surely appeared to be in the next row over with a driving lane in between. You need about 4' to get down off someone's tire, not 20'.
Unread 05-19-2013, 11:33 PM   #9
dragginwagon406
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Did you see this comment?

In the comments here: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...ting-jeep.html

IrishCanadian32
"...The second, and more importantly, is the driver himself. After he mounted the 2nd jeep as part of the stunt, he did as he said with the brakes and clutch, then turned off the vehicle, got out of the vehicle to pose of photos, and that's when something caused the vehicle to move out of control and do what it did that cause the fatality. The driver abandoned the vehicle to showboat for the fans taking pictures and was not in control of a vehicle that was left mounted in a hazardous position. It should have been safely dismounted before he got out of the vehicle to showboat for the crowd."

If that is the case...
Unread 05-19-2013, 11:49 PM   #10
Maverickxeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Did you see this comment?

In the comments here: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...ting-jeep.html

IrishCanadian32
"...The second, and more importantly, is the driver himself. After he mounted the 2nd jeep as part of the stunt, he did as he said with the brakes and clutch, then turned off the vehicle, got out of the vehicle to pose of photos, and that's when something caused the vehicle to move out of control and do what it did that cause the fatality. The driver abandoned the vehicle to showboat for the fans taking pictures and was not in control of a vehicle that was left mounted in a hazardous position. It should have been safely dismounted before he got out of the vehicle to showboat for the crowd."

If that is the case...
Like I said, the driver said that did NOT happen, nor did the wtinesses.
Unread 05-20-2013, 12:34 AM   #11
dragginwagon406
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The investigation will rule out what did not happen to determine what most likely happened.

I know that we crawl tires quite often and it is in fact quite safe. Never once has the crawling vehicle needed more than a few feet to roll off the other vehicles tire. I will say that we don't typically get out of the vehicles while they are stacked.

Just as everyone else, I'm desperate to understand this situation fully.
Unread 05-21-2013, 03:38 PM   #12
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The investigation will rule out what did not happen to determine what most likely happened.

I know that we crawl tires quite often and it is in fact quite safe. Never once has the crawling vehicle needed more than a few feet to roll off the other vehicles tire. I will say that we don't typically get out of the vehicles while they are stacked.

Just as everyone else, I'm desperate to understand this situation fully.
New dumb comment. It's not safe. yes it happens a lot and very few injuries happen. People need to be away from the vehicles. The driver is protected by the vehicle/roll cage. Someone standing and watching is not. It may only take a couple of feet to safely get away, but if a vehicle flips it can easily roll 10-15 feet.

No jeep activity is safe. There are things we can do to make it safer. There's a reason people shouldn't stand or sit on the trails next to a vehicle trying to crawl something that could cause the vehicle to roll over or slide suddenly.
Unread 05-21-2013, 06:49 PM   #13
sherman07
2007 JK Wrangler 

Here is a video and footage of the stunt before it goes bad. At .41 seconds in you can see the female on the roof of the silver Jeep across the parking lot by the sign.
sherman07 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 01:49 AM   #14
dragginwagon406
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj View Post
New dumb comment. It's not safe. yes it happens a lot and very few injuries happen. People need to be away from the vehicles. The driver is protected by the vehicle/roll cage. Someone standing and watching is not. It may only take a couple of feet to safely get away, but if a vehicle flips it can easily roll 10-15 feet.

No jeep activity is safe. There are things we can do to make it safer. There's a reason people shouldn't stand or sit on the trails next to a vehicle trying to crawl something that could cause the vehicle to roll over or slide suddenly.
If mechanical failure...the accident could have happened anywhere.

How many of these have you read about?

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47913
Unread 05-22-2013, 09:26 AM   #15
KickboxingSloth
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thats terrible! prayers sent to that town!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.