Destroyed my jeep(video) - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Carnage & Wrecks > Destroyed my jeep(video)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 10-01-2012, 10:26 PM   #31
Maverickxeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Just curious; why would that behaviour get trails closed? He was going pretty fast and recklessly; but that cant be enough to get trails shut down...

Maverickxeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2012, 04:31 PM   #32
itzfreddie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Just to clear things up for everybody, im a teenager and i respect everything i get. i dont work for it, but i dont ever take my car to the mechanic. i have flown through mud and learned my lesson, never had a real problem though and im happy for that. a few comments that i'd like to make is that he has the right to do what he wants with his car, and you have no judgement to tell him he dosent care, its hard not to care about a jeep <3. not trying to start any fights but let him do what gives him fun and dont assume he dosent care.
itzfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2012, 04:56 PM   #33
PredatorNC
2010 JK Wrangler 

I was so surprised by the comments that started rolling by the end of the first page i just had to keep reading. Are all of you guys seriously bashing this guy for driving through some mud puddles at what was probably only 35ish mph on a flat, back road somewhere? Sure, you have to expect some water issues from that much water and the splashing and that is a experience thing, but to condemn it and start throwing around the "that's what gets our trails closed!" card out? No, splashing in a few puddles does not make trails close...d*cks that run off trail, tear up the side of a hill somewhere and leave bags of litter are what gets trails closed.

While "Muddin'" is not my choice of use for my Jeeps, i'm not going to say you should not be doing it and it is stupid.

Yes, I have done some dumb things...
Yes, I paid the price, in bodily injury, cash and inconvenience...
Yes, I've had to buy and maintain everything I have ever had...
No...it didn't keep me from doing dumb sh*t...

If nothing else...remember...

To be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid.

If in doubt...HIT THE GAS!! It may not always be the right decision, but it will end the suspense!

The build so far....[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-predator-1342553/[/url]
PredatorNC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2012, 06:02 PM   #34
OnTheFence

I am a bone stock XJ owner who uses it as a winter commuter. No lift. No trails.
My type is the minority here, as most are lifted and many are off-roaded.

Can someone clarify why this video was so offensive?
Isn't what this kid doing called "off roading"?
I assumed this is what everyone here does with their XJ.
What am I missing? That he's going fast?
Driving through flat puddles seems a lot safer than crawling up the side of a mountain and flipping the car.
OnTheFence is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2012, 11:17 PM   #35
JimWilliamson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
That he's going fast?
I'll cautiously put a foot into this thread...

My first vehicle was a Jeep (worked for the $$ for it, fully maintained it with my hands). If I had a video camera back then, there might have been a few spots similar to those in the vid. Puddle splash'n / mud spray'n. It didn't seem totally out of line to the vehicle nor to the landscape. Pushing the limits on occasion, perhaps.

As for your question as to speed... It may seriously depend upon the trail being traveled. I find trail speed (Colorado mountain trails) to be in the 3-7MPH (GPS measured) range with 10MPH being considered "fast". Not all trails are like this nor do all drivers travel those speeds - though the common groups I meet up with, do.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
I assumed this is what everyone here does with their XJ.
I'd say, ride along (even if as a passenger) with a reputable trail group in your area to see what a trail ride is like. Check out some YouTube trail ride vids (for what would be solid, scenic or technical, rides - not the vids showing only rollovers & stucks).

IMO, I think your assumption of what's going on is not what the majority is like.

Any clubs or groups near you (or within three hours one-way for a weekend away)?

EDIT2:

I did a quick YouTube vid search and this popped up. It seems similar to what I've been used to (trail types, speeds, group activity - spacing, someone out taking pix or spotting a vehicle through a difficult spot, etc).

Trails, to me, have two attractions: Enjoyable scenery or on-trail technical obstacles. To each their own to enjoy what they wish.
JimWilliamson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #36
jepauto
1993 ZJ 

Thats 1:19 of my life that I'll never get back...
jepauto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2012, 12:07 PM   #37
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredatorNC View Post
To be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid.
note: you must LIVE through the later first to ever get to be old. Wise part, hard to say.
Unread 12-21-2012, 08:56 PM   #38
lvngtheJEEPlife
2001 WJ 

Being one who is a teenager, and has worked for everything i have and worked my way from a 98 corrolla to a 94 ZJ to my current WJ that i paid 6k cash for that i saved up and i have paid for every repair and upgrade myself, So you can guess i appreciate my vehicle. Ive done some sketchy and not-so-intelligent things in my ZJ (thing was a TANK) but i paid for it too. I never did the Ripping-thru puddles cause i think that just an obvious no- no but i have my stories. I think hey, the kid was being dumb yes, but he was having fun and learned. He probly will be more careful now. I'm sure he meant no disrespect or to cause no trails to be closed. Constructive critisim is good, bashing is not helpful nor needed. Im sure he got that from whoever had to pay the tow bill
lvngtheJEEPlife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2012, 04:43 AM   #39
1shotwonder
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Been there done that.. Is it stupid? In the long run, yes, in the moment no. I still do this exact same thing at times. But running in that deep of water that fast with stock air location.. Apparently it wasn't hydrolocked? Can be damn glad and lucky. I know i've already gotten my air filter wet, and i haven't romped though puddles that were nearly that deep
Unread 12-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #40
jacobsparling

Alright guys first thing first. I work my *** off full time. I was working at a boat shop for 2 years. paid for my vehicle and every problem it had. I wanted to have fun in my jeep. Costed money but it was fun. So don't say I didn't pay for the vehicle and my dad paid to fix it. The distributor cap got wet so as soon as I cleaned it, it fired right up. I bet you guys did this **** when you were a kid too. Learn from your mistakes right? I didn't rip through puddles since then so anyone whos being so butt hurt can relax and take a hike. Part of growing up is having fun and learning from your mistakes. Oh yeah and if you guys say im not working now. Ive already done my first year of college and I build houses for a living so relax.
jacobsparling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2012, 12:39 PM   #41
lvngtheJEEPlife
2001 WJ 

YOLO..? Have fun out there!
lvngtheJEEPlife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2012, 11:57 AM   #42
blakes143
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe

Yep, I was a teenager once too, but I actually respected what I had because I had to work for it. I broke it, I bought it.

Some peoples children.
That's the way it is for me too. I am a teenager but I respect my jeep. If i brake anything it's my wallet that hurts afterwards.
blakes143 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2013, 07:57 PM   #43
DarthBrooks
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Honestly, Jacob should be able to do whatever he wants in his Jeep. So long as it's public land or he has the permission to be there, the consequences are his own to worry about. I managed to flip my jeep into a ditch doing the same thing so I wouldn't promote flying through puddles, but live and learn, right?

And I don't quite understand why everyone was so eager to jump to the conclusion that he didn't have any responsibility or didn't pay for anything himself. Kind of unwarranted.
DarthBrooks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2013, 08:18 PM   #44
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

I've done this kind of thing in my ZJ. Never did anything to the vehicle except kill my CV joints. So if he can fund the breakages, then by all means! Go for it! If he has the responsibility to pay for his vehicle, he probably has enough responsibility to be where he should be and not where he shouldn't. When I was in West Yellowstone, the snowmobile trails around there got very wet and very muddy, making them "muddly" people tore those up all the time! But we went through and fixed the worst when we were done. Lesson learned? Resurfacing a 15 mile stretch of dirt is no fun. Especially if it starts to sleet...
Unread 01-12-2013, 12:08 PM   #45
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobsparling View Post
Alright guys first thing first. I work my *** off full time. I was working at a boat shop for 2 years. paid for my vehicle and every problem it had. I wanted to have fun in my jeep. Costed money but it was fun. So don't say I didn't pay for the vehicle and my dad paid to fix it. The distributor cap got wet so as soon as I cleaned it, it fired right up. I bet you guys did this **** when you were a kid too. Learn from your mistakes right? I didn't rip through puddles since then so anyone whos being so butt hurt can relax and take a hike. Part of growing up is having fun and learning from your mistakes. Oh yeah and if you guys say im not working now. Ive already done my first year of college and I build houses for a living so relax.
Hey, at least your distributor cap had enough sense to fail before you hydro locked the motor. You could have been really screwed.
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.