Death of a Tire at 75mph - JeepForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 07-20-2008, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
tjwoo
Registered User
 
tjwoo's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 457
Death of a Tire at 75mph

I was traveling down the highway passing another vehicle on the first lane. As i was going down, i felt the jeep pulling to the right very slightly, and at first I put the feeling off as me overreacting over something or it was just the road being a little rough. Shortly after, the driver side rear tire exploded, enough to scare the bejesus out of me and my passengers in the jeep and surely the people following me.
I was going around 75mph at the time, but I fortunately never lost control of my jeep, and quickly managed to move into the left shoulder. Full size MATCHING spare was a savior, and also i happened to be carrying my floor jack in the back of my trunk from helping a friend out rotate his tires earlier in the week, so switching out the tire took less than 5 minutes.

Here is the carnage




The tire is 32" BFG AT KO

Question is, anyone have a guess why it happened? I regularly rotate, maintenance my tires, as well as checking tire pressure very regularly. The tire barely had 25k miles on it, and had significant amount of tread remaining

tjwoo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 Old 07-20-2008, 10:52 AM
havasu
On permanent vacation
 
havasu's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,343
My guess is the tire lost all pressure, but because of the sidewall strength (and the light weight of the jeep), it didn't look flat. Once you got some speed going, along with the friction of the flat, the tire failed and separated at it's weakest point, being the sidewall. My wife did the exact same thing on her Toyota Avalon, and she told me her tire passed her on the freeway. The separating tire caused a considerable amount of damage to the fenderwell, so I filed a complaint with Michelin. They replaced my tire immediately for free, provided I sign off any damage the separating tire caused to the fenderwell. I believe it was just good business sense, because the tires only had 12,000 miles on them.
havasu is offline  
post #3 of 24 Old 07-20-2008, 10:54 AM
Rico4x4
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mont Clare, PA
Posts: 10
Wow! Glad you didnt lose control. Good job holding it steady.
Rico4x4 is offline  
post #4 of 24 Old 07-20-2008, 11:02 AM
PILL
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,002
Remember guys, when a tire blows stay calm and smoothly pull over. If anything it is better to gas it than hit the brakes.

Nice job

Member 134 of the White Jeep Club
31" BFG A/T's, 130w KC Hilites
PILL is offline  
post #5 of 24 Old 07-20-2008, 11:11 AM
jeepstronaut
Registered User
1983 FSJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: oxford ohio
Posts: 111
nice driving, now call the tire company and complain that the tread scratched your fender and now your wife refuses to ride with you...

you might just get some new rubber!

tHe Jeepstronaut
jeepstronaut is offline  
post #6 of 24 Old 07-21-2008, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
tjwoo
Registered User
 
tjwoo's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 457
i figured out why my tire failed.
Where the valve stem meets the wheel, it is almost detached. I didn't mention that couple miles before this, I did come in very close contact with a runaway hubcap from another car infront of me, but i initially dismissed it for I thought I did not hit it. I did see it fly to the left of me. Well, I'm guessing it did indeed hit me on the tire and managed to take out the valve stem in a swift blow.
The tire blew about 2-3miles down the road after this incident and I def remember feeling the car pulling a little and a little squishy feeling on the rear tire.
The air was escaping at a alarming rate and eventually the sidewall just collapsed.
sorry for crappy phone pics



reason for failure. Fly hubcap that I thought I'd missed apparently did hit it. Critically. This caused my tire to lose all air and eventual sidewall failure

or maybe I really didn't hit the hubcap and the valve stem was just faulty. (really thought I cleared it)
pfft . http://www.wftv.com/news/16602114/detail.html

Last edited by tjwoo; 07-21-2008 at 08:13 AM.
tjwoo is offline  
post #7 of 24 Old 08-01-2008, 08:54 PM
ZeroGravity
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 3,927
Any idea what happened? YOUR TIRE EXPLODED!



I am glad you are alright. I would definately call the tire company and make sure there aren't any recalls or past problems with this tire.
ZeroGravity is offline  
post #8 of 24 Old 08-18-2008, 12:56 PM
patricknolan
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: cinnaminson NJ (south J)
Posts: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by PILL View Post
Remember guys, when a tire blows stay calm and smoothly pull over. If anything it is better to gas it than hit the brakes.

Nice job

Ummmm .... this doesnt sound right ....

Someone PM with why it is correct.
patricknolan is offline  
post #9 of 24 Old 08-18-2008, 06:19 PM
till88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lexington KY
Posts: 24
hey man depending on the place you got your tires... those valve stims look old!

You should go back to where you got the tires and say they didnt put new valve stims in and you blew a tire!

If you push hard enough they may replace it!! Or pro-rate it

I work at a tire shop and this happens everynow and then..
till88 is offline  
post #10 of 24 Old 08-31-2008, 06:39 AM
Muddeprived
Registered User
 
Muddeprived's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Wexford, PA
Posts: 5,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwoo View Post
I was traveling down the highway passing another vehicle on the first lane. As i was going down, i felt the jeep pulling to the right very slightly, and at first I put the feeling off as me overreacting over something or it was just the road being a little rough. Shortly after, the driver side rear tire exploded, enough to scare the bejesus out of me and my passengers in the jeep and surely the people following me.
I was going around 75mph at the time, but I fortunately never lost control of my jeep, and quickly managed to move into the left shoulder. Full size MATCHING spare was a savior, and also i happened to be carrying my floor jack in the back of my trunk from helping a friend out rotate his tires earlier in the week, so switching out the tire took less than 5 minutes.

Here is the carnage




The tire is 32" BFG AT KO

Question is, anyone have a guess why it happened? I regularly rotate, maintenance my tires, as well as checking tire pressure very regularly. The tire barely had 25k miles on it, and had significant amount of tread remaining


Glad you are ok.

2001 XJ Sport 4.5" LA

1999 TJ 2.5L 5spd 2" lift
Muddeprived is offline  
post #11 of 24 Old 09-01-2008, 12:51 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Escondido, California
Posts: 64,255
Did you run at speed on aired down tires after offroading much?

Getting Savvy...

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now  
post #12 of 24 Old 09-03-2008, 10:24 PM
in_motion
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Eastside Indy
Posts: 173
damn. good thing i got MY leaky valvestem fixed! glad you're ok.
in_motion is offline  
post #13 of 24 Old 09-14-2008, 04:42 PM
Greg_Volkman
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Parwan, Afghanistan (yeah, it sucks)
Posts: 1,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Did you run at speed on aired down tires after offroading much?
same thing I was thinking. there is no damage to the rim or the innermost sidewall. It seems that the tire pulled apart right where the sidewall belts meet the tread belts. if he drove on it long enough while it was leaking air and running flat I would think there would be rim damage.

ALSO, I would not expect that they would have heard a LOUD bang if the tire was already empty (from the leaking valve) when the tread seperated.

I do not think this happened because of a leaking valve. i think the belts were weakened overtime and finally gave up the ghost.

I'd also like to note that anything that hit the valve hard enough to unseat it would surely have left a mark on the rim, and there doesn't appear to be one.

-0|||||||0-
He who hunts in a pack is still a dog. The lion hunts alone, and so do I. - Napoleon
Conducting an argument by appealing to authority is not using your intelligence; it is just using your memory. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Greg_Volkman is offline  
post #14 of 24 Old 09-14-2008, 05:37 PM
heyitsme
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: alabama
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasujeeper View Post
My guess is the tire lost all pressure, but because of the sidewall strength (and the light weight of the jeep), it didn't look flat. Once you got some speed going, along with the friction of the flat, the tire failed and separated at it's weakest point, being the sidewall. My wife did the exact same thing on her Toyota Avalon, and she told me her tire passed her on the freeway. The separating tire caused a considerable amount of damage to the fenderwell, so I filed a complaint with Michelin. They replaced my tire immediately for free, provided I sign off any damage the separating tire caused to the fenderwell. I believe it was just good business sense, because the tires only had 12,000 miles on them.
i dont think this is the case. i've had a nail in one of mine before and it leaked down just a few pounds and i could tell a HUGE difference in handling, then i looked and saw that it was getting slack. i think this was a random sidewall failure.
heyitsme is offline  
post #15 of 24 Old 09-17-2008, 12:57 PM
-Shoey-
Registered User
2010 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Harrisville
Posts: 1,674
Leaky valvestem....the reason why my WJ is sitting outside with a flat. Glad you're ok

2010 KK Renegade
USN Jeep Club #115
-Shoey- is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Death Mask Grape Ape General Discussion 8 10-27-2009 08:29 AM
Would you want to know the day of your death? Chris_ General Discussion 23 04-08-2009 06:58 PM
Another hot car death... wow. JFamily General Discussion 15 09-06-2007 10:49 PM
Death of the SUV? matt_c General Discussion 34 09-14-2005 08:50 PM
H2 death spichman510 General Discussion 17 08-26-2003 08:18 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome