Death of a Tire at 75mph - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Carnage & Wrecks > Death of a Tire at 75mph

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-20-2008, 09:23 AM   #1
tjwoo
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Death of a Tire at 75mph

I was traveling down the highway passing another vehicle on the first lane. As i was going down, i felt the jeep pulling to the right very slightly, and at first I put the feeling off as me overreacting over something or it was just the road being a little rough. Shortly after, the driver side rear tire exploded, enough to scare the bejesus out of me and my passengers in the jeep and surely the people following me.
I was going around 75mph at the time, but I fortunately never lost control of my jeep, and quickly managed to move into the left shoulder. Full size MATCHING spare was a savior, and also i happened to be carrying my floor jack in the back of my trunk from helping a friend out rotate his tires earlier in the week, so switching out the tire took less than 5 minutes.

Here is the carnage

The tire is 32" BFG AT KO

Question is, anyone have a guess why it happened? I regularly rotate, maintenance my tires, as well as checking tire pressure very regularly. The tire barely had 25k miles on it, and had significant amount of tread remaining

tjwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2008, 10:52 AM   #2
havasu
On permanent vacation

2004 TJ Wrangler 

My guess is the tire lost all pressure, but because of the sidewall strength (and the light weight of the jeep), it didn't look flat. Once you got some speed going, along with the friction of the flat, the tire failed and separated at it's weakest point, being the sidewall. My wife did the exact same thing on her Toyota Avalon, and she told me her tire passed her on the freeway. The separating tire caused a considerable amount of damage to the fenderwell, so I filed a complaint with Michelin. They replaced my tire immediately for free, provided I sign off any damage the separating tire caused to the fenderwell. I believe it was just good business sense, because the tires only had 12,000 miles on them.
havasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2008, 10:54 AM   #3
Rico4x4
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Wow! Glad you didnt lose control. Good job holding it steady.
Rico4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2008, 11:02 AM   #4
PILL
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Remember guys, when a tire blows stay calm and smoothly pull over. If anything it is better to gas it than hit the brakes.

Nice job
Unread 07-20-2008, 11:11 AM   #5
jeepstronaut
1983 FSJ Cherokee 

nice driving, now call the tire company and complain that the tread scratched your fender and now your wife refuses to ride with you...

you might just get some new rubber!
Unread 07-21-2008, 07:49 AM   #6
tjwoo
2006 TJ Wrangler 

i figured out why my tire failed.
Where the valve stem meets the wheel, it is almost detached. I didn't mention that couple miles before this, I did come in very close contact with a runaway hubcap from another car infront of me, but i initially dismissed it for I thought I did not hit it. I did see it fly to the left of me. Well, I'm guessing it did indeed hit me on the tire and managed to take out the valve stem in a swift blow.
The tire blew about 2-3miles down the road after this incident and I def remember feeling the car pulling a little and a little squishy feeling on the rear tire.
The air was escaping at a alarming rate and eventually the sidewall just collapsed.
sorry for crappy phone pics

reason for failure. Fly hubcap that I thought I'd missed apparently did hit it. Critically. This caused my tire to lose all air and eventual sidewall failure

or maybe I really didn't hit the hubcap and the valve stem was just faulty. (really thought I cleared it)
pfft . http://www.wftv.com/news/16602114/detail.html

Last edited by tjwoo; 07-21-2008 at 08:13 AM..
tjwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2008, 08:54 PM   #7
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Any idea what happened? YOUR TIRE EXPLODED!

I am glad you are alright. I would definately call the tire company and make sure there aren't any recalls or past problems with this tire.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2008, 12:56 PM   #8
patricknolan
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PILL View Post
Remember guys, when a tire blows stay calm and smoothly pull over. If anything it is better to gas it than hit the brakes.

Nice job

Ummmm .... this doesnt sound right ....

Someone PM with why it is correct.
patricknolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2008, 06:19 PM   #9
till88

hey man depending on the place you got your tires... those valve stims look old!

You should go back to where you got the tires and say they didnt put new valve stims in and you blew a tire!

If you push hard enough they may replace it!! Or pro-rate it

I work at a tire shop and this happens everynow and then..
till88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2008, 06:39 AM   #10
Muddeprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwoo View Post
I was traveling down the highway passing another vehicle on the first lane. As i was going down, i felt the jeep pulling to the right very slightly, and at first I put the feeling off as me overreacting over something or it was just the road being a little rough. Shortly after, the driver side rear tire exploded, enough to scare the bejesus out of me and my passengers in the jeep and surely the people following me.
I was going around 75mph at the time, but I fortunately never lost control of my jeep, and quickly managed to move into the left shoulder. Full size MATCHING spare was a savior, and also i happened to be carrying my floor jack in the back of my trunk from helping a friend out rotate his tires earlier in the week, so switching out the tire took less than 5 minutes.

Here is the carnage

The tire is 32" BFG AT KO

Question is, anyone have a guess why it happened? I regularly rotate, maintenance my tires, as well as checking tire pressure very regularly. The tire barely had 25k miles on it, and had significant amount of tread remaining

Glad you are ok.
Flux Capacitor Heat Machine
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2008, 12:51 PM   #11
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Did you run at speed on aired down tires after offroading much?

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2008, 10:24 PM   #12
in_motion
1996 XJ Cherokee 

damn. good thing i got MY leaky valvestem fixed! glad you're ok.
in_motion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2008, 04:42 PM   #13
Greg_Volkman
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Did you run at speed on aired down tires after offroading much?
same thing I was thinking. there is no damage to the rim or the innermost sidewall. It seems that the tire pulled apart right where the sidewall belts meet the tread belts. if he drove on it long enough while it was leaking air and running flat I would think there would be rim damage.

ALSO, I would not expect that they would have heard a LOUD bang if the tire was already empty (from the leaking valve) when the tread seperated.

I do not think this happened because of a leaking valve. i think the belts were weakened overtime and finally gave up the ghost.

I'd also like to note that anything that hit the valve hard enough to unseat it would surely have left a mark on the rim, and there doesn't appear to be one.
Greg_Volkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2008, 05:37 PM   #14
heyitsme
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasujeeper View Post
My guess is the tire lost all pressure, but because of the sidewall strength (and the light weight of the jeep), it didn't look flat. Once you got some speed going, along with the friction of the flat, the tire failed and separated at it's weakest point, being the sidewall. My wife did the exact same thing on her Toyota Avalon, and she told me her tire passed her on the freeway. The separating tire caused a considerable amount of damage to the fenderwell, so I filed a complaint with Michelin. They replaced my tire immediately for free, provided I sign off any damage the separating tire caused to the fenderwell. I believe it was just good business sense, because the tires only had 12,000 miles on them.
i dont think this is the case. i've had a nail in one of mine before and it leaked down just a few pounds and i could tell a HUGE difference in handling, then i looked and saw that it was getting slack. i think this was a random sidewall failure.
heyitsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2008, 12:57 PM   #15
-Shoey-
2003 KJ Liberty 

Leaky valvestem....the reason why my WJ is sitting outside with a flat. Glad you're ok
USN Jeep Club #115
-Shoey- is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.