JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep Carnage & Wrecks (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f164/)
-   -   Close calls (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f164/close-calls-1390298/)

dahlonegawj 07-07-2012 09:23 PM

Post your close calls. In the 3months I've had my wj I've had 2 close calls. The first was when I was leaving my school driving down the road when some moron who clearly saw me waited till the last second to pull out. I expected him to pull to the center lane and wait for me to pass, but instead he pulled out right in front of me and I ended up next to him, brake pedal to the floor, hoorn blaring, and still going about 10 mph. My second was when I was at a traffic light and I got my turn arrow and so did the turn lane across from me. As I started to turn, the person in the lane next to the opposite turn lane started to go without looking at the light, and same with the person next to him. A quick press of the gas and honk of the horn and I was out of the way of dumbo drivers who just rely on other drivers to decide when to go.

Anthony92x 07-08-2012 09:37 PM

Had one not to long ago where some snobby looking guy in a Chevy sonic decided to cut me off. I just kept my speed and blared the horn. Figured if he wants to act rich he can put some money into a new fender, front bumper, grill, fogs and headlights in my wk. not so luck since I did hit a tree with said fender and headlight. Some guy tried to race me at a stop light today with a old truck and fishtails in the rain almost took out my passenger door. Mental drivers annoy me.

ZCherokee4x4 08-22-2012 09:04 AM

One day on the way to school I guess I didn't look hard enou and started to pull out of an intersection, and almost side swiped a guy with my bumper. It's sticks out like a foot haha

grogie 10-17-2012 07:06 PM

Many moons ago when I was 19, I was driving my first car, an RX-7, south of Moab on a two-lane road early in the morning. Or actually I was sleeping in the passenger seat and a hot girl I was dating was driving after I had been driving most of the night. She came around a corner to find a semi-truck that was in our lane. She went off the side of the road to go around the truck and she came back onto the road harder then she should have, which brought the rear end of the car around to the right. The car was sliding sideways and there happened to be a lifted red Toyota pickup following the semi (I can see that pickup in my head yet today) that we were headed straight for. Well she literally froze up. I happened to have just opened my eyes at that time, and I just reached over with my left hand and grabbed the steering wheel and turned it to the right, straightening the car and the pickup went right by us, about a foot away.

I remember saying, "Stop the car!" Wow did that wake me up! I took over driving, naturally. :laugh:

I've thought back to that over the years and how if I hadn't of opened my eyes and reacted to the situation, we both would have died, no doubt about it. That was before airbags, and that pickup would have smashed that little car like a tin can.

andygio71 10-17-2012 10:25 PM

i've been cut of several times, enough so that i always drive with my lights on no matter what. but the closest one was a couple weeks ago in the rain, going uphill at 35ish (limit was 35) to school, where there's a T intersection to the right. The first person pulled out and went to their left with tons of room in front of me, but the lady behind them then pulled up to the stop sign and almost stopped for a moment pefore pulling out to her left.

no blinker, no lights at all in the rain, pulling out in her little mitsubishi sedan front of a bright red TJ with lights on and a brush guard on the front that was only 50 feet away from her. slammed on the brakes hard enough to lock them up, and had my hand on the horn until the point i thought i was gonna hit her, then i put my hands on the side of the wheel (didn't feel like punching myself in the face if the airbag went off). i couldn't turn to the right of her anyways, another car was there. i must have missed her by about a foot, and ended up at a standstill in the intersection as she drove away. if i wasnt going uphill there's no way i would have been able to stop in time.

i was in a weird state of both scared and pissed off for the rest of the day haha

olaverty 10-24-2012 09:34 AM

Thought I'd share my recent close call, though it was off-road. Went up to Ouray few weekends ago with my wife, 12 yr old son, and 16yr old daughter for Columbus day weekend, last trip up there for the year. Weather was great, hit a lot of trails, the last area to explore on the last day there was Governor Basin near Imogene Pass trail. Headed over to mountaintop mine to stop for some snacks and explore around a bit before heading back into town. But the trail was gated, so looked across the basin and saw a trail heading up to Virginius Mine, decided to take that. The trail up to the mine was very steep and narrow, typical SW Coloarado ledge trail, loose rock but not too bad. As we approach the flat open area near the mine ruins, we came up over a small hill. The trail at the top of the hill took a curve to the left, which I did not immediately see as the jeep was angled up. So we pop over the hill going straight and the feel the front right of the jeep drop down a bit. Didn't think much of it but decided to get out and take a look, that's when my stomach dropped. The trail edge was washed out there, and I had stopped with the front right tire literally an inch from dropping into the washout, which would easily have tipped the jeep over and down the side, probably a couple hundred feet straight down to the basin floor. I immediately got the family out of the jeep, of course after the wife saw the situation I was lucky to ever get her in the jeep again. I really didn't want to try and back up, as one slip of the lutch or a slight roll forward I'd be gone. Walked back about 50 ft and there was a slight rock outcrop I was able to get my recovery strap around, then ran my winch line under the jeep and attached it to the strap. Took out the slack, climbed in and released the brake, then walked beside it while guiding the steering wheel through the door window. All was good after that, just pulled it forward hugging the left wall and then had plenty of room to turn around. Not sure what I would have done without the winch, as there was no one else around for miles. But even worse was thinking about how clode I was to going off the side with my family in the Jeep. Biggest lesson learned, always always stop and get out and look ahead if you can't see what the trail is doing in front of you.

Of course I didn't think of pics until after I had winched it back a couple feet and it was safe, and it's hard to get the perspective from these pics. But these in these two pics the jeep is in the same spot, notice how you can't even see the washout when looking from the front.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...2/DSCN2962.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...2/DSCN2963.jpg

1941Galant 10-31-2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony92x (Post 13837272)
Had one not to long ago where some snobby looking guy in a Chevy sonic decided to cut me off. I just kept my speed and blared the horn. Figured if he wants to act rich he can put some money into a new fender, front bumper, grill, fogs and headlights in my wk. not so luck since I did hit a tree with said fender and headlight. Some guy tried to race me at a stop light today with a old truck and fishtails in the rain almost took out my passenger door. Mental drivers annoy me.

You sound like a very dangerous driver to me.

Anthony92x 10-31-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1941Galant

You sound like a very dangerous driver to me.

Because I follow the rules of the road? Nothing wrong with keeping speed and sending a warning honk when going at the most 25mph and I said he tried to race me. Doesn't mean I was participating.

Sent from the Death Star

evanjeep 11-01-2012 06:13 PM

Few years ago i had a 04 rubi Manuel just rained a tiny bit steam was coming off the road. I have 35 in baja claws and a 4in lift. Wasnt thinking and before i knew it i was coming up to a red light smashed the brakes locked up the front and slid to the middle of the intersection. Man thats one of many close calls

ZCherokee4x4 11-06-2012 09:19 AM

Just happened the other day. Just driving down a main road when I Looked over at a lady on her stupid freaking phone pulling out almost hitting the rear end of my jeep! It didn't hit me till later on that it could have been bad haha

Jeepsman 11-14-2012 09:25 PM

In a college town, I've had many. The most recent are the following:

1) I pulled into my neighborhood and a car was stopped in the middle, so I waited. They promptly switched into reverse and started driving backwards without looking. I layed on the horn and the probably stopped less than an inch away.
2) I was driving behind this person for quite some time. We both needed to turn left and the person committed themselves into turning and I guess decided "Nah, I'll wait for fun!" I hadn't pulled forward yet and she started reversing quickly. I had to switch into reverse promptly, look backwards, honk, and reversed. They would have smashed into me if I hadn't done that.
3) A day or two ago I was driving and it had been a green light for a minute or two. Unfortunately, I usually go 5 miles above the speed limit. This time I was driving the limit and I saw a guy speeding and busting through the light at the cross intersection. Had I been going 5 above, he would have busted the light and smacked into me.

grogie 11-16-2012 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olaverty (Post 14350855)
Thought I'd share my recent close call, though it was off-road. Went up to Ouray few weekends ago with my wife, 12 yr old son, and 16yr old daughter for Columbus day weekend, last trip up there for the year. Weather was great, hit a lot of trails, the last area to explore on the last day there was Governor Basin near Imogene Pass trail. Headed over to mountaintop mine to stop for some snacks and explore around a bit before heading back into town. But the trail was gated, so looked across the basin and saw a trail heading up to Virginius Mine, decided to take that. The trail up to the mine was very steep and narrow, typical SW Coloarado ledge trail, loose rock but not too bad. As we approach the flat open area near the mine ruins, we came up over a small hill. The trail at the top of the hill took a curve to the left, which I did not immediately see as the jeep was angled up. So we pop over the hill going straight and the feel the front right of the jeep drop down a bit. Didn't think much of it but decided to get out and take a look, that's when my stomach dropped. The trail edge was washed out there, and I had stopped with the front right tire literally an inch from dropping into the washout, which would easily have tipped the jeep over and down the side, probably a couple hundred feet straight down to the basin floor. I immediately got the family out of the jeep, of course after the wife saw the situation I was lucky to ever get her in the jeep again. I really didn't want to try and back up, as one slip of the lutch or a slight roll forward I'd be gone. Walked back about 50 ft and there was a slight rock outcrop I was able to get my recovery strap around, then ran my winch line under the jeep and attached it to the strap. Took out the slack, climbed in and released the brake, then walked beside it while guiding the steering wheel through the door window. All was good after that, just pulled it forward hugging the left wall and then had plenty of room to turn around. Not sure what I would have done without the winch, as there was no one else around for miles. But even worse was thinking about how clode I was to going off the side with my family in the Jeep. Biggest lesson learned, always always stop and get out and look ahead if you can't see what the trail is doing in front of you.

Of course I didn't think of pics until after I had winched it back a couple feet and it was safe, and it's hard to get the perspective from these pics. But these in these two pics the jeep is in the same spot, notice how you can't even see the washout when looking from the front.

Wow! Yeah, I think about those things when I'm roaming around the Rockies on my own. Glad you and your family made it out! As you said, that would be fortunate to get a wife back in the Jeep. :eek:

UTChavok 12-05-2012 05:00 PM

Close call on film, that was my old zj. In my new 5.9 I've had quite a few but non got filmed. Have some pictures of an actual flop.

rodgers3 12-06-2012 04:51 PM

alright i share my close calles.
i dont get how people dont see me but in my green 92 yj with FLAME RED doors i have almost been side swiped several times on the highway.

first time i was out wheeling
i was in some mud on a concreat pad and not knowing what the heep would do i gunned it and low and behold the jeep slid sideways almost hitting my buddys 72 gmc.
was literaly bout a mirior length away.
cruseing down the road and someone stoped in the center of the lane to make a left turn on a 65 mph road. and they made no atempt to use the turn lane!!! missd them by like a foot...
i cant wait to get my air horn to alert the idiots out there...

boeingxtreme 12-07-2012 06:27 AM

olaverty,

Kind of Off topic, but did you paint your stock chrome headlight rings black? or purchase black ones?

The time now is 10:13 PM.