Birth of a new project... not happy at all about it. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Carnage & Wrecks > Birth of a new project... not happy at all about it.

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Unread 02-26-2009, 01:16 PM   #1
Bear13
2004 WJ 

Birth of a new project... not happy at all about it.

Here's some fresh carnage...

This happened to me yesterday, some lady ran a red light and clobbered the front end of my baby.

The estimate is not finished yet, but the shop said we're starting around 2k and still adding. And that is just to make it functional! She'll have to carry some scars for a while until I can afford to make her pretty again.

First shot... so far I need a new cross-member, new radiator and new fan unit.

Next up, closer look at driver's side headlight. Passenger side headlight survived, but I will need a new plastic cross-member too...

This area is where a lot of money is going. Passenger side sub-frame rail bent, and bent bad... motor will need to be removed to fix this. My wallet is crying right now.

Another carnage shot... so sad, so sad.

She will rise again, some how.

And side note... <expletive> you MI No Fault Laws, <expletive> you! The most I can get from the other driver's insurance is $500. I had dropped collision coverage since I'm unemployed right now and I had managed to pay off the load a few months ago.

"Never teach a Cat to say 'Tuna.' It's all he'll ever want to talk about."--BEAR
Bear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2009, 02:44 PM   #2
cj7guy
2007 JK Wrangler 

Sorry to hear your loss man. Best of luck with the repairs, see if Davey's has some cheap parts for you.
Unread 02-26-2009, 02:48 PM   #3
stinkshoe27
2000 WJ 

Man that's tough. I know how you feel though I lost my old dodge ram a few weeks ago to an idiot which led me to my XJ but it sucks being unemployed and not getting crap for insurance coverage I know exactly how you feel.
stinkshoe27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2009, 02:49 PM   #4
kennyboobear
2000 TJ Wrangler 

No fault laws? WTF? So basically I could intentionally run a red light if I had a car I couldn't afford to pay off, let it get totaled and have my insurance cover it? Yea that's seriously ****ed sir. Sorry to hear it.
[COLOR="DimGray"]SILVER JEEP CLUB MEMBER #46[/COLOR]
[I][B]Get [/B][/I][B][COLOR="DimGray"][URL="http://www.savvyoffroad.com/"]Savvy.[/URL][/COLOR][/B][I][B][/B][/I]

[URL="http://www.facebook.com/SFFCustoms"]SFF Customs[/URL]

[QUOTE=GraKee99;10375372]Driving on snow is a lot like sex, it's a lot of fun but if you don't pay attention, you can really mess up someone's rear end.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Gene Mooneyham]Not to burst your bubble, but California gets worse every year. Liberals, and illegals have ruined any chance California had to get turned around, it's a sinking ship.[/QUOTE]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/finally-2000-tj-slow-build-very-slow-947018/"]My 2000 Silverstone TJ Build[/URL]
kennyboobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2009, 09:20 PM   #5
Bear13
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj7guy View Post
Sorry to hear your loss man. Best of luck with the repairs, see if Davey's has some cheap parts for you.
No luck at Davey's.
Once I have a complete parts list from the shop, I'm going to scour the part-out section of the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkshoe27 View Post
Man that's tough. I know how you feel though I lost my old dodge ram a few weeks ago to an idiot which led me to my XJ but it sucks being unemployed and not getting crap for insurance coverage I know exactly how you feel.
Yep, and if it had only been a few degrees warmer outside I would have been driving my '79 Power Wagon beater... Then the dumby that ran the red light would have been eating some nice shiny steal bumper. It would also have been a hard loss, but a more satisfying loss at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyboobear View Post
No fault laws? WTF? So basically I could intentionally run a red light if I had a car I couldn't afford to pay off, let it get totaled and have my insurance cover it? Yea that's seriously ****ed sir. Sorry to hear it.
That's Michigan for you... just makes me want to leave this state all the more.
"Never teach a Cat to say 'Tuna.' It's all he'll ever want to talk about."--BEAR
Unread 02-26-2009, 10:52 PM   #6
kennyboobear
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear13 View Post
That's Michigan for you... just makes me want to leave this state all the more.
Thats truly bollocks sir. I'm going to Socal for the same reason at the end of this Summer. Can't stand Louisiana.
[COLOR="DimGray"]SILVER JEEP CLUB MEMBER #46[/COLOR]
[I][B]Get [/B][/I][B][COLOR="DimGray"][URL="http://www.savvyoffroad.com/"]Savvy.[/URL][/COLOR][/B][I][B][/B][/I]

[URL="http://www.facebook.com/SFFCustoms"]SFF Customs[/URL]

[QUOTE=GraKee99;10375372]Driving on snow is a lot like sex, it's a lot of fun but if you don't pay attention, you can really mess up someone's rear end.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Gene Mooneyham]Not to burst your bubble, but California gets worse every year. Liberals, and illegals have ruined any chance California had to get turned around, it's a sinking ship.[/QUOTE]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/finally-2000-tj-slow-build-very-slow-947018/"]My 2000 Silverstone TJ Build[/URL]
kennyboobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2009, 08:47 PM   #7
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

That sucks ! insurance doesnt help you out with that at all ? its nothing more than a money making scam liek most other things today.
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2009, 08:52 PM   #8
SpydermanTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyboobear View Post
Thats truly bollocks sir. I'm going to Socal for the same reason at the end of this Summer. Can't stand Louisiana.
Noooooo.... Don't come here!!! We have enough people!!!

OP: That does suck badly... she should at least offer to pay you a little bit to compensate. Retarded law....
Nightcrew #162

"i'd want a bottle of 12 year old scotch and a 24 pack of rubbers. i'll go places with a hard-on that most people wont go with a mechanized infantry batallion."
SpydermanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2009, 09:54 PM   #9
Mtnduey
2005 LJ Wrangler 

ugh thats ugly sorry man
Unread 05-19-2009, 09:59 PM   #10
Sidewinder
1994 YJ Wrangler 

that sux dude, im sorry. there should be a law against that law. and "no fault"?!? thats stupid. someones always at fault. dont the government employees watch south park? finding who is at fault is the most important part.
Unread 05-25-2009, 01:09 AM   #11
Doctor7474
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93jeepyj View Post
That sucks ! insurance doesnt help you out with that at all ? its nothing more than a money making scam liek most other things today.
How is that the insurance companies fault? Sounds like the people of Michigan's fault for voting for idiots making the laws. Or the owner who said he no longer has collision coverage in a no fault state.

95% of what insurance companies can and can't do is based on local laws/regulations that the politicians make, which the people voted for.

Perfect example is Florida. State Farm just pulled completely out of Florida because they could not make a penny due to high pay outs on claims, and the govt would not let them go up on premiums to keep in business in the state. That left thousands of people with out insurance, and just about the only insurance they can get is govt ran, and we all know how well the govt runs things.
Doctor7474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2009, 06:28 AM   #12
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

your right its not the ins companies fault but if somebody hits me and its legitimately there fault either them or thier insurance should be paying for it. I shouldnt have to have collision on my vehicle to pay for damage done by somebody else. Maybe its not directly the ins companys fault but either way its not right.
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2009, 04:41 PM   #13
Bear13
2004 WJ 

OK... might as well close this thread with Style!

SHE LIVES!!!!!

Before I sent her to the body shop:

After the body shop:

With radiator, lights and surrogate header panel (from a 2002... won't easily fit the proper 2004 grille):

After putting all the parts on, she fired right up... I am sooooo happy that the damage missed my 4.7L. Was a little noisy for the first few start ups until all the systems cleared the air bubbles. I was most impressed that the Hydraulic fan unit survived the accident, that alone saved me about $700.

Finally, a shot after a thorough "test run". Drove 4 hours north to the Little Mantisee Trail with some friends and went on a 6 hour trail ride. Nothing overly impressive, this is Michigan after all... but some good jarring bumps a few mud puddles.

Still to fix:
- Need new hood latch and cable
- Need AC line/dryer so I can recharge the system
- Need correct header panel and grille
- Needs driving lights... I miss them
- I'm thinking about going with the Iceland Offroad winch bumper, though I do have concerns.... The shop cut the nose of the vehicle off just before the centerline of the tires and welded the replacement in its place. I'm not sure what that did for strength of the body. If everything is perfect, the welds should be stronger than the original metal. If something is amiss... well, a winch could create some interesting problems...

Other misc. notes:
- Total investment - around $3500 to get this far.
- Body work was done by Elizabeth Lake Collision in Waterford, MI. Great guys and they did awesome work.
- Next step would be a true build'em-up thread

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.