Where does everyone ride in Northern Georgia? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Where does everyone ride in Northern Georgia?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-05-2009, 10:58 AM   #16
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARLEYX2 View Post
Well your real close then I actually live off Marble Quarry rd. I said Sixes because I figured it was more well known.
Have you ever seen a green Mini Cooper screaming along Marble Quarry sorta sideways?

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2009, 01:10 PM   #17
HARLEYX2
1987 YJ Wrangler 

No but then again everyone flies down this road. LOL
HARLEYX2 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2009, 06:47 PM   #18
camper49
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The original post was about more aggressive off-road trails, but since the subject sort of moved on, I thought I'd join in.

I'm from central florida, but I like to drive up to north Georgia to camp, backpack, and poke along the forest roads in my TJ. I lurk in this forum, so I recognize the fellas like "Hilldweller" who live in the area and I understand they know their own neighborhood. I can find my way around up there, but I would be foolish to claim much else. But I thought I'd add my opinion here since I don't live there. Jeep trail difficulty is relative to what you have close to home, and I realize the numbered forest roads up there can be accessed by trout fishermen in honda accords. So I'm not debating what others have said so far.

I ended up interested in jeeps because I was interested in backpacking and have visited the area several times over many years. My first section hike along the Appalachian Trail was back in the mid 1970's. The small mountains in the wildlife management areas centered around Suches, Ga. contain countless miles of wilderness forest roads. North of Dahlonega, Ga. and east of Amicalola Falls state park, are primitive campsites, rolling streams, and hiking trails. The Appalachian Trail crosses the area as it heads north towards North Carolina.

In my several visits over the years, the numbered forest roads have always been in good repair. I usually seem to be just one more "tourist" amoung many in the woods up there. There are a lot of visitors who enjoy the area like I do. You don't need a jeep to get in there, but when we purchased our first jeep, it was to compliment our interests in visiting this area. I think its a great place to ride slowly along with the top down.

Compared to flat Florida, the hill climbs and streams along the primary forest roads are reason enough to load up my jeep and drive the 8 or 9 hours to get there. And there are also lots of secondary trails that fork off the primary forest roads. Most don't seem to travel far but they usually climb to some knob and require 4wd. Generally I don't have to worry about jeep damage/breakage but they will cause your cooler to slosh ice water around. Some visits I find these trails gated and other times the gates are open.

As for the two trails shown in the map by Hilldweller, I like to access that area off of GA highway 52 at Nimblewell Church road above Dahlonega. This turnoff is before you arrive at Amicalola Falls state park, so you don't have to worry about paying a park entrance fee.

Another area that I like to visit is the Cohutta Wilderness area above Ellijay, GA. It's a little bit farther north for me, but there are lots of hiking trails and streams there too. It's a good stock jeep/top down ride in the forest.

Which leads me back to a point of view. I've enjoyed more dramatic jeep trail rides. I've visited Tellico and Moab, Utah. And I've had a lot of fun fixing up my TJ wrangler with popular modifications. But I really prefer the multi-use weekends of camping, backpacking, and passive jeep rides in the woods north of Atlanta. I was up there just last weekend for three days. Camped along FR58 in area called Three Forks.

'98 TJ wrangler sport.....gunmetal blue
XJ d30/rubicon TJ d44...33's with popular suspension mods

want to read my build threads...they're long with lots of pictures
camper49 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2009, 04:07 PM   #19
jdhughes
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the sweet post
jdhughes is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.