Wheelin in Northern VA??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Wheelin in Northern VA???

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-12-2009, 10:31 AM   #1
Finsup
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Wheelin in Northern VA???

So i live in the congested Northern VA area and want to do some mild wheelin. One of my colleagues goes somewhere in Western MD, but that is 2.5hrs drive and dont want to drive that far.

Anyone know of any legal wheelin areas in the Springfield/Burke/Woodbridge areas?

Thanks in advance.

Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club #453
Finsup is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2009, 11:59 AM   #2
VTJeePTJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I also used to live up there. Unfortunately you are looking at at least a 2 hours drive to get to any legal wheeling. Closest areas are GWNF near harrisonburg and Crozet and some others around Charlottesville. AFter that, you get into going out of state. Although, there is an event called Big Dogs in Gore, VA (near winchester). This event happens 4 times a year and has some of the best wheeling on the east coast. You can only go during the events as it is private land but the trails, camping, and entertainment are definitely worth it. This would be about 1.5 hours from you. The next events are the weekend of Aug. 22nd and then Sept. 19-21. I will be at the Sept. event and I can't wait. Website is www.bigdogsoffroad.com if you want to check it. Everything from mild to VERY wild.
Unread 08-12-2009, 12:05 PM   #3
Finsup
1999 TJ Wrangler 

THanks for the help VT. i will check out the bigdog event website. sounds like a nicely built rig you have according to your profile.

Unread 08-12-2009, 12:44 PM   #4
NOVA87Wrangler
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Have you been on NovaJeepers.com yet? There's a guy on there named ComancheOutlaw who has a junkyard (Belvoir salvage?) and about 21 acres about 30 min west of Manasses. He's been building a small offroad park/trails back there to have SOME local wheeling to test rigs etc. There's also some wheeling around the intersection of I-66 and I-81, Not close, but not the 2-3 hours that GWNF is either.
Unread 08-12-2009, 02:29 PM   #5
VTJeePTJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finsup View Post
THanks for the help VT. i will check out the bigdog event website. sounds like a nicely built rig you have according to your profile.

Thanks for the compliment. My jeep still has a ways to go but I've been very happy with it for now. I would definitely also second the notion to get involved in a local club, especially if it means possibly having access to private local wheeling territory. When I go to Big Dogs, I typically still ride with old friends from N. VA so if you ever come feel free to PM me and I'll let you know where we camp and you can stop by to BS a bit and have a or two.
VTJeePTJ is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2009, 08:57 AM   #6
Finsup
1999 TJ Wrangler 

NOVA87 thanks for the club idea, I will check it out and look up ComancheOutlaw.

Anytime VT, i think we might try out the Aug event, mostly because I am running out of vacation days so the 3day event is pretty much out of the question this year. I will def PM you anytime i register for a bigdough event.

Tim

Unread 09-10-2009, 10:51 AM   #7
bandit2443
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Its not offroad, but there are a few gravel roads in the area that are kind of entertaining to run up and down. One that comes to mind is Kincheloe road in the Clifton area. It gets kinda hairy in spots and theres a little pull off where you can drive through some mudd/giant ruts. It also looks like there is some fishing to be had if you pull off where the road runs up against the bull run creek.

Theres also Reservoir road in Leesburg (don't go for rough offroading...its a let down). It runs up to a reservoir belonging Fairfax City. I was over there a few days ago fishing and I saw a guy in an FJ crusier driving along the power line run. I'm not 100% clear on the legality of that. There aren't any no trespassing signs that I'm aware of. If you look at it on Google maps, it looks like the power line run will take you out to Ryan road. Might be fun if its not illegal.
bandit2443 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2009, 06:12 PM   #8
wahoojeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

RCPFA.com

couple of hours away, but a great place to hit the trails.

RCPFA

2005 LJ, 2007 JKU, 1978 J10
wahoojeep is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.