Western North Carolina/Eastern Tennessee - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Western North Carolina/Eastern Tennessee

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.850" LED Light Bar with Overhead Mounting Brackets $69

Unread 11-06-2010, 07:08 AM   #31
WJL
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I live in Sylva and I've not heard of Rough Butt. I know there is a Rough Butt Bald on the Parkway but I assume that is different. We hike from Fisher Creek up to Blackrock on occasion and the last time I was there a guy told me that used to be a Jeep trail back in the day. That would have been great! My brother-in-law told me there is a Jeep trail in Cades Cove in the Smoky Mtns. National Park. Has anyone been on it? If someone wants to go out in this area sometime (Sylva, Franklin, Asheville) shoot me a PM.

Unread 11-06-2010, 11:33 PM   #32
rabunjeeper
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I live just south of Franklin in Rabun County Ga. There are a few trails around here, nothing real ruff. Ive tried locating a trail or 2 up your way but always come up closed or a wild goose chase. I rode one this past weekend near Highlands N.C called Walking Stick. I'd like to check out that Big Fork trail. Also, is Caney Fork in Cullowee closed? I heard it was. I also heard there is some trails over near Lake Jocassee at the N.C./S.C. line.
Unread 11-08-2010, 12:09 PM   #33
KrawlOff-Road
Vendor

2007 JK Wrangler 

Well, thus is our first post here on this forum. He are a new company based out of Anderson SC. We head to Asheville atleast every other weekend! We are always looking for new trails and places to get the JK dirty. Let us know if anyone ever makes it down this way...

-Jason
Unread 11-29-2010, 08:20 PM   #34
andrez109
2006 TJ Wrangler 

heading up to Boone for Christmas, look forward to wheeling in the snow and maybe going down a few trails here and there. If anybody plans on going wheeling around the same time around Boone, pm me and we'll ride together!
Unread 11-30-2010, 03:50 AM   #35
mrJ
2002 KJ Liberty 

well, we find out 12/17 if we're movin to asheville, so hopefully ill be seein some of yall soon. tryin to get a my bumper and armor done up before then so i can hang.

It's a Jeep, it's not supposed to work right all the time.

Live in Florida? Check out Florida4x4.org!!!
Unread 12-01-2010, 08:29 PM   #36
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

I am a member of the Rock Corps and can take up to 3 guests at a time in to wheel at The Flats in Marion, NC (20 min from Asheville). Hit me up if anybody wants to go!

Click this -->Think you can beat me?
Unread 01-29-2011, 06:56 PM   #37
Brian2o0o
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabunjeeper View Post
I live just south of Franklin in Rabun County Ga. There are a few trails around here, nothing real ruff. Ive tried locating a trail or 2 up your way but always come up closed or a wild goose chase. I rode one this past weekend near Highlands N.C called Walking Stick. I'd like to check out that Big Fork trail. Also, is Caney Fork in Cullowee closed? I heard it was. I also heard there is some trails over near Lake Jocassee at the N.C./S.C. line.
I'm pretty sure Caney Fork and Rough Butt is the same area, and it is the same Rough Butt Bald that it is right off of the parkway. Haven't been there in a coupe years, but I have heard it has been closed. The area around Lake Jocassee you may be talking about is in Salem SC. There were some trails around the Little River, but last time I came through there they had been blocked off also. The trail leading up to Rabun Bald is a good little ride/hike. You can ride most of the way to the top, but have to park and walk to last 1/2 mile or so. There are also some good trails down around the Chattooga River with some creek crossings and good camping on the GA side.
Unread 01-31-2011, 09:38 PM   #38
threeb

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJL View Post
I live in Sylva and I've not heard of Rough Butt. I know there is a Rough Butt Bald on the Parkway but I assume that is different. We hike from Fisher Creek up to Blackrock on occasion and the last time I was there a guy told me that used to be a Jeep trail back in the day. That would have been great! My brother-in-law told me there is a Jeep trail in Cades Cove in the Smoky Mtns. National Park. Has anyone been on it? If someone wants to go out in this area sometime (Sylva, Franklin, Asheville) shoot me a PM.
I don't know road names but when you pass the university and it becomes the two lane there is a gas station on the right and a road on the left (something community). Fill up the tank and take the road on the left go until you think I sent you on a wild goose chase a bit longer and you will see a house with a blue metal roof one or two turns it will be on your right. It is marked with a home made sign. When you think your in the last houses drive way you will be on the trail. In a few feet you will make a sharp steep drop into a shallow (depending on rain) water crossing. Watch out for those on/off road bikes sometimes there all over the place. If you happen to see a dude in a white Samurai talk to him he is a wealth of information for that area. Oh PM me a we like to go out there every now and then.
LJ Owners Group member #431.
Unread 01-31-2011, 09:42 PM   #39
threeb

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
I did Rough Butt yesterday, my first trip out in my new ride. I couldn't find a way out, seemed all the trails were blocked at some point. I had to turn around and come back out the way I came in. Where exactly is Hurricane Creek? Is that the one that goes right off of I-40? What mile marker? Anyway, sorry to revive this old thread but since I did...Have any new spots popped up in the Asheville area?
Hurricane creek is at or real close to MM #9 going west on the right. My avatar is from out there from about three weeks ago. The best 13 hours of snow, ice, winching and shoveling I have had in a long time. PM me I am always wanting to go wheeling.
Unread 01-31-2011, 09:46 PM   #40
threeb

2004 LJ Wrangler 

You western NC or eastern TN guys let me know when yall are going wheeling It be great to go to new places and break different things (jk I wheel like I have to drive it every day).
Unread 02-01-2011, 08:34 AM   #41
threeb

2004 LJ Wrangler 

A friend of mine has place near Erwin, Tn and we were going to go up there this weekend and We wanted to do some wheeling. Any one know of a couple of good places let me know. Intermediate not to wild is more what we like.

Thanks,
Billy

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.