Uwharrie Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Uwharrie Questions

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDRear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can

Unread 08-14-2009, 08:55 PM   #1
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Uwharrie Questions

I just posted this in the Outdoor Rec section, but thought I might get more hits in here.....so.....

Alright...I'm new to offroading, so I don't know how much trail riding I'll do when we're there, but I'm taking my son to either Busco Beach or Uwharrie next Monday-Tuesday to go camping.

If I go to Uwharrie where would you suggest I camp if we mainly want to camp, hike, and maybe get in the water a bit? My son is 7 and just got his first pocket knife, so all he's going to want to do is spend time with Dad, camp/hike, and carry around his new knife in his pocket to maybe carve up some sticks

Also, if I DO go get on the trails what are the beginner trails that would be ok for me to take my 7 year old boy on. Remember....this would be my first time taking the Jeep off road.

Unread 08-14-2009, 09:00 PM   #2
EugeneTheTJ
YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS...

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ive never been unfortunately. Ive had several trips planned but never could make it. Anyways, go to my profile, click on flatlander757's profile, and look at his threads about Uwharrie. Im sure something in there will be helpful. Hope that helped
Unread 08-14-2009, 09:18 PM   #3
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

thanks a lot....I'll do that. I appreciate it.

*edit* ah crap...I forgot I can't view profiles at work for some reason. I can go anywhere on this forum except for the profiles....they're blocked.
Unread 08-16-2009, 02:24 PM   #4
JavaTee
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaid5 View Post
Alright...I'm new to offroading, so I don't know how much trail riding I'll do when we're there, but I'm taking my son to either Busco Beach or Uwharrie next Monday-Tuesday to go camping.

If I go to Uwharrie where would you suggest I camp if we mainly want to camp, hike, and maybe get in the water a bit?
Also, if I DO go get on the trails what are the beginner trails that would be ok for me to take my 7 year old boy on.
Congrats on the new pocket knife!!

If you head off to Uwharrie, I suggest Badin Lake Campground. There is water access and a few trails to explore, the camp sites are nice, the only issue is bathrooms, and showers. They only have two for all of the camp sites to use. They are somewhat clean, so that shouldn't be a problem.

If trail riding, you need to stop in at the Eldorado Trading Post (Hwy 109), and purchase a trail pass, (I think a day pass is $5 - $8) and pick-up a trail guide. Falls Dam trail is a nice easy (but rocky) trail to try out your Jeeps off road handling without getting into the nasty stuff. Dicky Bell trail is considered a moderate trail, and I when through it without a to much of a problem. My CJ had gearing issues, and crappy worn out mud terrain tires. Other than that Uwharrie is a fun place to 'wheel'. I believe all of the trails have an alternative route around the harder obstacles.

Have fun, and post up some pics when you return.

Later, T.J.
Unread 08-16-2009, 05:50 PM   #5
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks TJ...

Now I'm torn. I was going to camp at Arrowhead, because a lot of people were suggesting it. Now you say Badin Lakes.... what to do ....what to do....

We'll probably putt around on a few of the easiest trails, but mostly want to hike and maybe take a dip in the lake. Anyone else want to chime in with suggestions on where to camp?
Unread 08-17-2009, 04:01 AM   #6
JavaTee
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaid5 View Post
Now I'm torn. I was going to camp at Arrowhead, because a lot of people were suggesting it.
Some of my military blog friends, and my neighbors enjoy staying at Arrowhead, so I say go for it. Then while you are in the area you can checkout the Badin Lake Campgrounds and make a decision for your net trip.
There is a rifle/pistol range on the Forest property, but you will need to purchase an additional day pass to shoot (just a fyi - and of course you need to bring your own noise makers).
If you like hiking, Murrow Mountain State Park (on the other side of the lake/river) is a great place to camp/hike/canoe or kayak. The wife and I went their earlier this year and loved seeing all of the wildlife (for non-4wd weekends ).

Later, T.J.
Unread 08-17-2009, 06:16 AM   #7
sin52
2007 JK Wrangler 

Either campsite is good, and the same price, $12 per night. They have a fire pit, bbq grill, picnic table and steel posts for lanterns or to tie a tarp. You can gather and burn any wood that's on the ground. I brought wood though. You can camp off the trails for free but there are no BR or showers. When you buy your OHV pass from eldorado outpost make sure they give you a trail map, if not ask. It's $5 a day and the map is free so ask. I just spent 2 nights this weekend at badin lake campground and the water was a minute and a half walk from badin lake campground upper loop. the lower loop is right on the water but you'll have to make reservations. there is a no alcohol policy for badin and arrowhead. I poured a beer into a plastic pepsi cup from the outpost and no one bothered us. I think it's to keep down the hard partying. I just had a couple with pasta dinner.

badin-camp.jpg

badin-camp2.jpg
Unread 08-19-2009, 01:06 PM   #8
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Sweet! I actually ended up staying at site 10 on Badin Lake lower loop right next to the host. We are DEFINITELY making reservations for next time. My son wants to stay at site 11, because there is a fallen tree that goes out into the water that we had a lot of fun playing on. Can't wait to go back. I will start a new thread with all the details from our trip
Unread 08-19-2009, 04:22 PM   #9
mightydog78
2013 JK Wrangler 

i want to go so bad now..

Charlotte, NC / Southport, NC

Mechanical Engineer
Unread 08-21-2009, 02:03 AM   #10
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Here is my campsite. Badin Lake lower look site #10. Next time I'm reserving one right by the water.

My son liked the water right off of site #11 because we had fun running around on this log

Unread 08-21-2009, 03:12 AM   #11
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

and here is the rest of the story with a few more pics if you're interested....

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f163/...9/#post7792171

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.