Tellico is closed!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 77 Old 03-02-2009, 11:44 AM
jeepcj51979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifesgoodhere View Post
umm just to let you know when they are mentioning water quality issues, that is affecting you and your water quality, or the local residents of the area. To correct the "poor water quality" the treatment plants have to add a chemical to the water to clean it. This chemical can cause cancer, and has been linked with other deadly illnesses.

If everyone just respected things, this wouldn't be happening!

And I love wheeling just as much as the next Jeeper and it is sad that this is happening.
i work as a treatment plant operator & the mud / dirt / other crap requries chemicals to remove & when it rains much more of them. BUT> the amount of chemicals that is put into water can't REPEAT will not cause cancer or other BS but it could if you drank o say about 1,000,000 gallons at one time in which case you would die from being stupid, i mean water toxicity...google it if you don't know what it is.

Faith Moves Mountions......Jeeps Crawl Over Them....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 77 Old 03-02-2009, 06:09 PM
Lifesgoodhere
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcj51979 View Post
i work as a treatment plant operator & the mud / dirt / other crap requries chemicals to remove & when it rains much more of them. BUT> the amount of chemicals that is put into water can't REPEAT will not cause cancer or other BS but it could if you drank o say about 1,000,000 gallons at one time in which case you would die from being stupid, i mean water toxicity...google it if you don't know what it is.
excuse me excuse me, but I have been working with the forest service, and know of this. Their has been 2 known linked deaths in the past year. and about 100 others who became sickly in our area because of the "Harrisonburg dam" stuff that has been going on. Tellico is just a washed out mud pit pretty much.(I say that lightly) But when people ride up and down streams that are used to link the treatment plant to the reservoir area, sediment is kicked up. The treatment plants have to use the treatment chemical to cleanse the water. The water then goes to the taps of the homes of the individuals in (in my case Harrisonburg, but applys to all places) the towns, and results of a greater chance of illness, and cancer. If you want contact Mr. Healey the Supervisory Forrester for North River Ranger District, he will tell you the same thing. No in fact, contact the person in charge of the area for Tellico, and ask him why.

A Jeeper for life

Last edited by Lifesgoodhere; 03-02-2009 at 09:01 PM. Reason: name correction
post #33 of 77 Old 03-02-2009, 09:22 PM
BigJerm
2007 JK Wrangler 

Have you ever been to tellico? There is 1 creek crossing now... Fains Ford. There were others years ago but bridges have been built. And Tellico is not 1 big mud put... its on the side and top of several ridges... kinda hard to have a mud pit on a mountain with half the trails are rocks anyways. Maybe you need to do some more research before trying to defend the other side.

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #34 of 77 Old 03-02-2009, 11:20 PM
BIGplansNOmoney
1998 XJ Cherokee 

What doesn't cause cancer these days?!?!?!?!

But JEEPIN?!?!

COME ON....

XJ - My anti-drug

JEEPERS: (GE-PURRS): Proud, Arrogant, Egotistical Creatures of the human variety that have an undying passion for motor vehicles manufactured by the JEEP company.
post #35 of 77 Old 03-03-2009, 08:17 AM
bebout

2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJerm View Post
Have you ever been to tellico? There is 1 creek crossing now... Fains Ford. There were others years ago but bridges have been built. And Tellico is not 1 big mud put... its on the side and top of several ridges... kinda hard to have a mud pit on a mountain with half the trails are rocks anyways. Maybe you need to do some more research before trying to defend the other side.

I agree with you. Do not talk about something when you have no idea about it. If they were really focused on the water quality issues, then I believe there would be other places in our area that would be under attack.
post #36 of 77 Old 03-03-2009, 08:25 AM
Boredgonzo
2006 LJ Wrangler 

To quote a bio-med grad student I used to know:

"If you shove enough of anything up a mouse's *** it will develop cancer."

Keep this in mind when claims are made about anything being cancerous. And be sure to do your research and be able to site the specific study when you make claims of this nature and shoot down people randomly quoting disreputable sources.

I've been to Tellico once and was disappointed that my Jeep wasn't better equipped to handle the difficult stuff. Amazing place to wheel! Just the one water crossing and lots of beautiful scenery. Unfortunately 2 of the most difficult parts of the trail had already been shut down. Looked like a ton of fun.

Break out your pen and paper for this one!!

JEEP
It's an addiction.
post #37 of 77 Old 03-03-2009, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
krawler00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

We ALL need to write letters and back them with facts. Please read and be knowledgeable on the situation we are facing. Letters that say, this is BS will be thrown out. We need letters to say how this affects the region with money losses, and how tellico cabins, crawfords campground and businesses like those will be ultimately destroyed by this crap. It is a sad day for us all but we need to keep the fight going!!!! Letters are the best weapon we have against the mighty TU. They have the money! If you can also donate to the tellico funs please do. Maybe if we all meet up at the pay station and have a good cry we could record it and get it on the news! HA! That tree video is nuts! But keep the fight going guys!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #38 of 77 Old 03-03-2009, 04:56 PM
Katoom119
1997 TJ Wrangler 

This is on one of the motorcycle sites I frequent (advrider.com) and people over there are joining up/donating to the Blue Ribbon Coalition.

www.sharetrails.org

Also there is a specific area for Tellico: http://www.sharetrails.org/rescue-tellico/
post #39 of 77 Old 03-04-2009, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
krawler00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Great! We need EVERYBODY to get involved on this! This is probably the last chance we have!

post #40 of 77 Old 03-04-2009, 06:39 PM
MattGATRTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

My letter has been sent. Lets prevent the hippies from taking one more beautiful spot in this world, that our jeeps could be exploring.

post #41 of 77 Old 03-05-2009, 03:45 AM
MoparBoy01
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I sent this to the members of my off road club Down and Dirty, we are getting a little tired of all the closures. The date said April 1st, maybe its a trick but I doubt it, sorry guys just trying to lift the mood a little, I know this makes us all mad. Keep on Muddin

1998 ZJ 4.0L-Trail Rig
1998 ZJ Black 5.9L-Prerunner/Daily Driver
1999 XJ 4.0L-Daily Driver/sometimes a weekend warrior
Down and Dirty Offroad Club Member
ddoffroad.com
post #42 of 77 Old 03-05-2009, 10:00 AM
jebmccall
1997 XJ Cherokee 

this makes me sick, we recently just had a local trail in ga closed for some bs too.it pissed me off. in fact two trails got closed. they were maybe 20 miles from each other. its sad how a bunch of damn tree huggers can do this.
post #43 of 77 Old 03-05-2009, 10:45 AM
BigJerm
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmccall View Post
this makes me sick, we recently just had a local trail in ga closed for some bs too.it pissed me off. in fact two trails got closed. they were maybe 20 miles from each other. its sad how a bunch of damn tree huggers can do this.
what trails? Man I hate to hear of closures

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

post #44 of 77 Old 03-05-2009, 11:02 AM
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by white2door View Post
I agree with you. Do not talk about something when you have no idea about it. If they were really focused on the water quality issues, then I believe there would be other places in our area that would be under attack.
Run-off from golf courses and the ag-industry put more crud into the aquifir in a day than Tellico has since its inception. Our silt is harmful to native trout; luckily we have fisheries...

Safety fast,

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
post #45 of 77 Old 03-05-2009, 11:44 AM
noflacko

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I wrote my letter today! I urge all of you to take just three minutes right now to type out a letter of protest. Take just a few minutes now to ensure that others will have years of fun on the trail.

comments-southern-north-carolina-nan...itee@fs.fed.us

Psalm 144:1 "Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle..." - SEMPER FI

Cleveland, TN Jeepers UNITE! Monthly meet-N-greet, every third Saturday at Jordan's BBQ!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.