Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Tellico is closed!!!!!!!!!!!!

11K views 76 replies 42 participants last post by  BigJerm 
#1 ·
Official word today is that Tellico will not be reopening on April 1st. It is closed until they decide what to do. Get involved and read the info and get ready to send letters as there is only 1 month to be heard! GET ON IT EVERYBODY OR TELLICO WILL BE GONE FOREVER!!! :rantscream:

Here is the official letter we got...

Dear Interested Party:
The USDA Forest Service is seeking comments on two proposals regarding management of the Upper Tellico Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) System:

1. An Environmental Assessment (EA) for the long-term management of the Upper Tellico OHV System. You may download a copy of the EA and related graphics at http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/tellico. If you would like to receive a paper copy of the EA, please e-mail your request to: comments-southern-north-carolina@fs.fed.us or call (828) 257-4817, and one will be mailed to you. For questions concerning the project or the EA contact Candace Wyman, Project Coordinator, at 828-257-4816.

2. A temporary closure of the Upper Tellico OHV System for resource protection, effective April 1, 2009. This closure would prohibit possession or use of a motorized vehicle on a road or trail within the Upper Tellico OHV System, with the exception of highway-legal vehicles on 420-1 and certain other exceptions described in the closure order until a final project decision is implemented.
The Upper Tellico OHV System is located on Tusquitee Ranger District, Nantahala National Forest, Cherokee County, NC. In June 2008, we publicized a proposal for long-term management of the System, designed to greatly reduce the amount of soil leaving the System and entering the Tellico River and its tributaries, while still providing an OHV trail system. This proposal is referred to as the "proposed action" or Alternative B and is described in detail in Chapter 1 of the EA. We received around 1,500 public comments on the proposed action. Alternatives to the proposed action were developed in response to the comments and environmental issues identified by the Agency. A wide range of comments was received, so six alternatives are analyzed in the EA, identified as Alternatives A through F. We would now like your review and comment on the alternatives and analysis before making a final decision on long-term management of the System.

The following is a brief description of the alternatives analyzed in detail in the EA. Please refer to the EA, Chapters 2 and 3, for more information about each alternative.

• Alternative A is the "no action" alternative that reflects the existing trail system with 2007 management and funding levels.
• Alternative B is the "proposed action" that was released in June 2008 for public comment. It was developed to address the problems initially identified in trail condition surveys conducted in 2007-2008.
• Alternative C closes the OHV System, but maintains over 10 miles of existing Forest system roads in the area, open year-round or seasonally, to provide for public highway-legal vehicle access for hunting, fishing and other recreation uses. It was developed in response to public concerns that the proposed action (Alternative B) did not go far enough in eliminating trails on sensitive soils and trails near water.
• Alternative D was developed in response to public concerns that the OHV Trail System should meet current trail density and challenge level standards, and not require a Forest Plan amendment.
• Alternative E was developed in response to public concerns that the proposed action (Alternative B) would eliminate too many high challenge OHV experiences.
• Alternative F was developed in response to public concerns that the proposed action (Alternative B) would eliminate too many OHV trail miles.

The environmental concerns that initiated the proposed management changes are described in the EA, as are the projected direct, indirect, and cumulative environmental effects of each of these Alternatives.

The EA shows that the Upper Tellico OHV System has extensive damage and contributes unacceptable levels of sediment into the Tellico River and its tributaries. Sediment is leaving the OHV System from more than 2,000 locations along the trails. The Agency is in violation of North Carolina state water quality standards because of the conditions on Upper Tellico OHV System. Since the Upper Tellico River watershed is located in an area of steep terrain, highly erosive soils, and high rainfall, maintaining an OHV trail system without causing significant environmental damage is extremely difficult.

While I understand how important the Upper Tellico OHV System is to OHV users, the impacts to water quality are so significant that I cannot recommend keeping the System open at this time. After careful consideration of the environmental effects of the alternatives as presented in the EA, my preferred alternative is Alternative C, which closes the OHV System. Alternative C would maintain over 10 miles of existing Forest system roads (currently also OHV trails), open year-round or seasonally, to provide public access for hunting, fishing and other recreation uses. Trail 1 (FS Road 420-1) would be paved and kept open as a through route for highway-legal vehicles.

I want to emphasize that a final decision has not yet been made. This public review period is an opportunity for you to give us constructive feedback. I encourage you to review the environmental assessment and provide us with any information that you think we have not considered adequately. Your comments need to be as specific as possible and you must provide the following information: 1) Your name and address; 2) Title of the project; 3) Specific substantive comments on the proposed action, along with supporting reasons that I should consider in reaching a decision; and 4) Your signature or other means of identification verification. For organizations, a signature or other means of identification verification must be provided for the individual authorized to represent your organization.

Comments must be postmarked or received within 30 days beginning the day after publication of this notice in The Asheville Citizen-Times. Comments may be mailed electronically, in a common digital format, to: comments-southern-north-carolina-nantahala-tusquitee@fs.fed.us; or by regular mail to: National Forests in North Carolina, Attn: Candace Wyman, 160 A Zillicoa Street, Asheville, NC 28801, or faxed to 828-257-4263. Hand delivered comments must be received within our normal business hours of 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Thank you for your continued interest in management of the National Forests in North Carolina and the Tusquitee Ranger District.

Sincerely,

MARISUE HILLIARD

See less See more
#65 ·
The new letters to your Representative should be: "Thanks for not saving our public lands. Thanks for allowing a Fascist regime to take away yet more of our liberties. Thanks for not listening to your God fearing, America loving constituents."

We have lost this battle to save the public land for public use. The Omnibus Public Lands Management Act of 2009 was signed into law today by President Obama.

:ranton:
For those of you who feel that he is bringing us change for the better...
for you who voted for him...
don't get mad when you're fined for wheeling in the woods. Just post your Jeep for sale on here and one of us freedom loving patriots will by it from your tree huggin butt.
:rantoff:

#66 ·
soon we will all have to turn in lifted jeeps for the threat we pose to the earth:mad:

#67 ·
Now is the time that donations ($) are needed more than ever. Southern Four Wheel Drive Association has been at the heart of this battle and they are gearing up for the big legal challenge. If you can, please send a little money their way. Tellico is shaping up to be the most unique land use battle this nation has ever seen and the legal precedent set here could reverberate for decades.

Straight cash (thru paypal) donations here:
http://www.sfwda.org/trails/tellico/donate.html

Or donate by buying some swag, also helps to get the word out:
http://www.cafepress.com/rescuetellico

#71 ·
I am putting a challenge up to anyone that belongs to a four wheel drive club.
We plan on taking up a collection from the members and getting the club to match those monies to send for the legal defense.
The only thing these people will recognize is legal action. TU has the money and the pull. They have already shown that.
Personally I think the plan all along was to close Tellico. They just had to go through the motions to make it legal.
There are enough clubs and individuals that wheel that we could get something done about this. It is going to take money though.
The thing that floors me in all of this is what it is going to do to the economy of Murphy. Jobs are already being lost and this is not going to help any. I really am surprised that the people of that area would let anything like this happen. Can you imagine what would happen if they tried to close Moab?
They would run them out of town on rails!

#69 ·
Please make your comments as specific as
possible along with supporting reasons why you believe your comments should be considered.
Please include your name and address in any correspondence.
Your comments may be sent to Tusquitee District Ranger, 123 Woodland Drive, Murphy, NC
28906. Comments may also be sent via email to comments-southern-north-carolina-nantahalatusquitee@
fs.fed.us.

United States
Department of
Agriculture
Forest
Service

National Forests in North Carolina
Nantahala National Forest
Tusquitee Ranger District
123 Woodland Dr.
Murphy, NC 28906-3145
828-837-5152
Caring for the Land and Serving People Printed on Recycled Paper
File Code: 2350
Date: June 9, 2008

#70 · (Edited)
Tellico is closed!

Hey folks.

Sent my letters too.

Figured I should pass this along.

All I can say is it's only going to get worse. If you're not a member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association, you should be. They've been around for more than 30 years and are an International Organization dedicated to keeping the trails open for all of us to enjoy. You can join as a club, group, association, or even as an individual. Go to www.ufwda.org for more information. Individual membership is only $28.00 right now, until June 30th, as they're having a Membership Drive. So for less than one tank of gas, you can help keep the trails open!

It's going to take all of us, each doing our part, to keep more trails from being closed. Our voices need to be heard, and we have more power as a group than as individuals.

Be well,
Richard

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT HEATHER ROYSTON - (678) 463-7376

The Southern Four Wheel Drive Association (SFWDA), the BlueRibbon Coalition (BRC) and United Four Wheel Drive Associations (UFWDA) expressed disappointment today in the Forest Service decision to implement the emergency closure of the Upper Tellico OHV trails on April 1, pending review of the many substantive comments made by OHV enthusiasts.

Gary Parsons, President of SFWDA, said, "We are very disappointed in the Forest Service decision to close the Upper Tellico OHV trails. In formal comments made to the Forest Service, the OHV community and other interested parties clearly demonstrated that such a closure has no scientific basis. Substantive comments provided to the Forest Service included findings of an independent study completed by Caliber Engineering and the recommendations from a report completed by the Forest Service's own Trails Unlimited Team. This is a bad decision and we are left with no other alternative but to pursue legal options."

Carla Boucher, legal counsel for the United Four Wheel Drive Associations, stated, "The Forest Service has failed to make the case with regard to adverse effects and resource damage. There is no immediate threat to public health, safety, or other requisite finding required by such an order. Water quality standards cited by the Forest Supervisor as the basis for such an order are not being exceeded." Boucher added, "In making this decision, the Forest Service must be prepared to explain why similar findings have not been made in the decades of greater environmental impact and they simply have not done that."

Greg Mumm, BRC's Executive Director, stated, "Implementing this closure order threatens the integrity of the ongoing planning process in which the interested public and our federal government have collectively invested significant time and resources." Mumm concluded, "The economic impact of this closure will be devastating to the area and comes at a time when the current administration is calling for more jobs, economic development, and healthy outdoor recreation. It makes no sense."

# # #

The BlueRibbon Coalition is a national recreation group that champions responsible use of recreation, and encourages individual environmental stewardship. It represents over 10,000 individual members and 1,200 organization and business members, for a combined total of over 600,000 recreationists nationwide. 1-800-258-3742. www.sharetrails.org

United Four Wheel Drive Associations is an international organization comprised of four wheel drive enthusiasts, clubs, associations, and businesses dedicated to providing community services around the world, education in responsible land use and safe vehicle operation, and protection of our natural resources through conservation practices. 1-800-448-3932. www.ufwda.org

Southern Four Wheel Drive Association (SFWDA) was founded in 1987 to promote responsible land use and to keep public lands accessible for motorized recreation. For more information on the activities and accomplishments of Southern Four Wheel Drive Association, please visit www.sfwda.org or contact us at 1483 N. Mt. Juliet Road , PMB # 222, Mt. Juliet , TN 37122

#72 ·
Moab has a much more general public presence than Tellico does. Tellico is waaaaay up in the hills above Murphy and the only time you really see a bunch of rigs is on the weekends in the summer at the Walmart parking lot. Moab has the Easter Jeep Safari, Tellico has the only a few south regional gatherings. It's two completely different beasts. Plus Tellico isn't even on the map for most people other than Trout fishermen or OHV users. Moab has recreation for all sorts of users like Mt. Bikes.... I'm just saying it's like apples to oranges.

But I'm still not giving up the fight!! LET'S RESCUE TELLICO!

#73 ·
Not to argue with you but, and yes I have been to both places, it is the same thing. The people that use the trails contribute to the economy, from grocery stores, resturants, hotels, cabins, ect.
People that see and get the benifits from the wheelers need to get involved.
I mean more people than just Crawfords and Tellico cabins.

#75 ·
So when is the best time to fish for trout there? I may just feel the urge to go splash around in the river with my waders for a week making as much of a ruckus as I can...they gripe to take away my trails, I don't have a problem ruining a few guys' fishing vacations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.