Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Tellico is closed!!!!!!!!!!!!

11K views 76 replies 42 participants last post by  BigJerm 
#1 ·
Official word today is that Tellico will not be reopening on April 1st. It is closed until they decide what to do. Get involved and read the info and get ready to send letters as there is only 1 month to be heard! GET ON IT EVERYBODY OR TELLICO WILL BE GONE FOREVER!!! :rantscream:

Here is the official letter we got...

Dear Interested Party:
The USDA Forest Service is seeking comments on two proposals regarding management of the Upper Tellico Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) System:

1. An Environmental Assessment (EA) for the long-term management of the Upper Tellico OHV System. You may download a copy of the EA and related graphics at http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/tellico. If you would like to receive a paper copy of the EA, please e-mail your request to: comments-southern-north-carolina@fs.fed.us or call (828) 257-4817, and one will be mailed to you. For questions concerning the project or the EA contact Candace Wyman, Project Coordinator, at 828-257-4816.

2. A temporary closure of the Upper Tellico OHV System for resource protection, effective April 1, 2009. This closure would prohibit possession or use of a motorized vehicle on a road or trail within the Upper Tellico OHV System, with the exception of highway-legal vehicles on 420-1 and certain other exceptions described in the closure order until a final project decision is implemented.
The Upper Tellico OHV System is located on Tusquitee Ranger District, Nantahala National Forest, Cherokee County, NC. In June 2008, we publicized a proposal for long-term management of the System, designed to greatly reduce the amount of soil leaving the System and entering the Tellico River and its tributaries, while still providing an OHV trail system. This proposal is referred to as the "proposed action" or Alternative B and is described in detail in Chapter 1 of the EA. We received around 1,500 public comments on the proposed action. Alternatives to the proposed action were developed in response to the comments and environmental issues identified by the Agency. A wide range of comments was received, so six alternatives are analyzed in the EA, identified as Alternatives A through F. We would now like your review and comment on the alternatives and analysis before making a final decision on long-term management of the System.

The following is a brief description of the alternatives analyzed in detail in the EA. Please refer to the EA, Chapters 2 and 3, for more information about each alternative.

• Alternative A is the "no action" alternative that reflects the existing trail system with 2007 management and funding levels.
• Alternative B is the "proposed action" that was released in June 2008 for public comment. It was developed to address the problems initially identified in trail condition surveys conducted in 2007-2008.
• Alternative C closes the OHV System, but maintains over 10 miles of existing Forest system roads in the area, open year-round or seasonally, to provide for public highway-legal vehicle access for hunting, fishing and other recreation uses. It was developed in response to public concerns that the proposed action (Alternative B) did not go far enough in eliminating trails on sensitive soils and trails near water.
• Alternative D was developed in response to public concerns that the OHV Trail System should meet current trail density and challenge level standards, and not require a Forest Plan amendment.
• Alternative E was developed in response to public concerns that the proposed action (Alternative B) would eliminate too many high challenge OHV experiences.
• Alternative F was developed in response to public concerns that the proposed action (Alternative B) would eliminate too many OHV trail miles.

The environmental concerns that initiated the proposed management changes are described in the EA, as are the projected direct, indirect, and cumulative environmental effects of each of these Alternatives.

The EA shows that the Upper Tellico OHV System has extensive damage and contributes unacceptable levels of sediment into the Tellico River and its tributaries. Sediment is leaving the OHV System from more than 2,000 locations along the trails. The Agency is in violation of North Carolina state water quality standards because of the conditions on Upper Tellico OHV System. Since the Upper Tellico River watershed is located in an area of steep terrain, highly erosive soils, and high rainfall, maintaining an OHV trail system without causing significant environmental damage is extremely difficult.

While I understand how important the Upper Tellico OHV System is to OHV users, the impacts to water quality are so significant that I cannot recommend keeping the System open at this time. After careful consideration of the environmental effects of the alternatives as presented in the EA, my preferred alternative is Alternative C, which closes the OHV System. Alternative C would maintain over 10 miles of existing Forest system roads (currently also OHV trails), open year-round or seasonally, to provide public access for hunting, fishing and other recreation uses. Trail 1 (FS Road 420-1) would be paved and kept open as a through route for highway-legal vehicles.

I want to emphasize that a final decision has not yet been made. This public review period is an opportunity for you to give us constructive feedback. I encourage you to review the environmental assessment and provide us with any information that you think we have not considered adequately. Your comments need to be as specific as possible and you must provide the following information: 1) Your name and address; 2) Title of the project; 3) Specific substantive comments on the proposed action, along with supporting reasons that I should consider in reaching a decision; and 4) Your signature or other means of identification verification. For organizations, a signature or other means of identification verification must be provided for the individual authorized to represent your organization.

Comments must be postmarked or received within 30 days beginning the day after publication of this notice in The Asheville Citizen-Times. Comments may be mailed electronically, in a common digital format, to: comments-southern-north-carolina-nantahala-tusquitee@fs.fed.us; or by regular mail to: National Forests in North Carolina, Attn: Candace Wyman, 160 A Zillicoa Street, Asheville, NC 28801, or faxed to 828-257-4263. Hand delivered comments must be received within our normal business hours of 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Thank you for your continued interest in management of the National Forests in North Carolina and the Tusquitee Ranger District.

Sincerely,

MARISUE HILLIARD

See less See more
#33 ·
Have you ever been to tellico? There is 1 creek crossing now... Fains Ford. There were others years ago but bridges have been built. And Tellico is not 1 big mud put... its on the side and top of several ridges... kinda hard to have a mud pit on a mountain with half the trails are rocks anyways. Maybe you need to do some more research before trying to defend the other side.

#34 ·
What doesn't cause cancer these days?!?!?!?!:dunno:

But JEEPIN?!?!

COME ON....

#36 ·
To quote a bio-med grad student I used to know:

"If you shove enough of anything up a mouse's *** it will develop cancer."

Keep this in mind when claims are made about anything being cancerous. And be sure to do your research and be able to site the specific study when you make claims of this nature and shoot down people randomly quoting disreputable sources.

I've been to Tellico once and was disappointed that my Jeep wasn't better equipped to handle the difficult stuff. Amazing place to wheel! Just the one water crossing and lots of beautiful scenery. Unfortunately 2 of the most difficult parts of the trail had already been shut down. Looked like a ton of fun.

Break out your pen and paper for this one!!

#37 ·
We ALL need to write letters and back them with facts. Please read and be knowledgeable on the situation we are facing. Letters that say, this is BS will be thrown out. We need letters to say how this affects the region with money losses, and how tellico cabins, crawfords campground and businesses like those will be ultimately destroyed by this crap. It is a sad day for us all but we need to keep the fight going!!!! Letters are the best weapon we have against the mighty TU. They have the money! If you can also donate to the tellico funs please do. Maybe if we all meet up at the pay station and have a good cry we could record it and get it on the news! HA! That tree video is nuts! But keep the fight going guys!!!!

#41 ·
I sent this to the members of my off road club Down and Dirty, we are getting a little tired of all the closures. The date said April 1st, maybe its a trick but I doubt it, sorry guys just trying to lift the mood a little, I know this makes us all mad. Keep on Muddin

#45 ·
#47 ·
Catch me up real quick... I've been working out of the country since 2006. I have been up to Tellico previously and loved it! The last i had heard was that they were going to bridge all of the water crossings (I only remember 1) to stop water siltation. Did they not build the bridge(s)? It seems like this simple solution would alleviate their major concern.

#56 ·
Ok from what I was told from a fellow wheeler in a text today, tellico was shut down...period. anyone wanna confirm this? Im calling BS untill I see something on here. The person I got it from read it online.

#57 ·
You need to go back to the beginning of this thread and read it and the links. Closed. Time to act.

#60 ·
Here's the press release from TU:

------------------------------------------
March 3, 2009

Squeak Smith, TU Board of Trustees
George Lane, TU Tennessee Council
Erin Mooney, TU Press Secretary (703)284-9408

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Trout Unlimited Applauds U.S. Forest Service Proposal to Close Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) Trails in the Nantahala National Forest

ARLINGTON, VA--Trout Unlimited (TU) applauds the decision by the U.S. Forest Service to protect critical brook trout habitat in North Carolina’s Upper Tellico Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) trail system by recommending as its preferred alternative the closing of a 39-mile OHV trail system in the Nantahala National Forest.

The off-road activity in the Nantahala National Forest has caused severe erosion and was affecting the Tellico River, the headwaters of which are the most significant intact population of native southern Appalachian brook trout in western North Carolina, according to the Eastern Brook Trout Joint Venture, a 17-state and federal agency partnership. The Nantahala National Forest is located in the Tusquitee Ranger District, in Cherokee County, North Carolina.

For years, water quality has been declining in the Tellico River and its tributaries as a result of muddy runoff from the inadequately maintained trail system within the Tellico OHV area. These streams receive approximately 500 to 1,000 times more sediment than streams just outside the trail system.

In 2007, TU issued a 60-day notice of intent to sue the Forest Service for violations to the Federal Water Pollution Control Act stemming from the agency’s management of OHV activity. In 2008, TU intervened in a law suit brought against the Forest Service by OHV user groups.

In response to legal proceedings and impacts to native brook trout habitat, the Forest Service conducted a full-scale Environmental Assessment (EA) and has suggested six alternatives for long-term management of the area. The Forest Service’s “preferred” alternative is to completely close the Tellico OHV system.

“It was never North Carolina TU’s intent to seek closure of the Tellico OHV trail system. For the past 10 years all we ever asked the Forest Service to do was follow their own regulations,” said Squeak Smith, a member of TU’s Board of Trustees. “The ‘preferred alternative’, to close the Tellico OHV trail system, was based on extensive field work and a comprehensive analysis by the Forest Service. It was a bold, but necessary step in defense of water quality, and I applaud and support their decision.”

“The Tennessee Council of Trout Unlimited is appreciative of the serious attention that the Forest Service is giving the erosion and sediment problems in the Tellico watershed,” said George Lane, chair of the Tennessee Council. “While it was not our request to ban OHVs but to allow usage only in areas that were appropriate, we applaud the Forest Service for fully examining the problem, and we concur with their recommendation.”

“The Forest Service made the right decision,” said Elizabeth Maclin, Trout Unlimited’s Vice President for Eastern Conservation. “Few places remain for native southern Appalachian brook trout, the Tellico River is one of them and it is critical to protect.”

The Forest Service is seeking public comments on its six alternatives for long-term management of the Upper Tellico OHV Trail System. The Forest Service is also seeking comment on a proposed temporary closure of the Upper Tellico OHV Trail System for resource protection. It would be effective from April 1, 2009 until a final decision is reached. A 30-day comment period ends on March 28, 2009. -30-

#64 ·
Letter sent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.