Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Southwest Virginia and Northeast Tennessee

15K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  cherokee09 
#1 ·
Hey,

I just recently moved to the Southwest Virginia area and the Tri-Cities area of Tennessee. I wanted to know if there are any good trails in the area. I am not looking for a hard or extremely challenging trail, but more like a scenic/beginner trail.

Thanks
Grantsjeep

#3 ·
There's a good ORV park in Mountain City TN - called Callalantee

#6 ·
Theres also Bobcat in Blacksburg, and some old mining roads in Pulaski. My friends from Bristol, I'll ask him if he knows of anything.

#7 ·
mjm4soccer said:
Theres also Bobcat in Blacksburg, and some old mining roads in Pulaski. My friends from Bristol, I'll ask him if he knows of anything.
OK thanks mjm4soccer, I live really close to bristol so that would be great!

Thanks
Grantsjeep

#8 ·
mjm4soccer said:
You have to be careful on Bobcat, you can stumble on to some private property out there.

For a longer run in the Blacksburg area, try Mountain Lake. The trails are all labeled as "Jeep Trails" in the Virginia atlas. The run from the hotel thru to the hard top road at White Rocks is about 10 miles or so. It is pretty easy during the dry. During a rainy period is a little more tough. There are several turn outs with mud holes that you can run thru and hope not to get stuck in.

#9 ·
xxxflhrci said:
You have to be careful on Bobcat, you can stumble on to some private property out there.

For a longer run in the Blacksburg area, try Mountain Lake. The trails are all labeled as "Jeep Trails" in the Virginia atlas. The run from the hotel thru to the hard top road at White Rocks is about 10 miles or so. It is pretty easy during the dry. During a rainy period is a little more tough. There are several turn outs with mud holes that you can run thru and hope not to get stuck in.
if you keep right at the fork, you are fine ...

warning about mountain lake ... STAY OUT OF THE MUD HOLES!!!!!! forest service will write you $300+ in tickets for going in the mudholes, they are NOT part of the sanctioned trail ... doens tmatter that they are 2 feet from the trail and have two-tracks going into them ... dont go in them.

if you coem to bburg, let me know and ill get soem guys from the club to run you up bobcat ... Sinking Creek 4 Wheel Drive Assoc. based out of blacksburg / virginia tech

#10 ·
j0nesy,
Can you give me some more information about the trails up at Mountain Lake? I've only ever been up to the lake once, but was by myself and didn't really know where I was going. I know there are a couple guys from VA4x4 down this way, and its always nice knowing a couple more trails. Thanks

#11 ·
mjm4soccer said:
j0nesy,
Can you give me some more information about the trails up at Mountain Lake? I've only ever been up to the lake once, but was by myself and didn't really know where I was going. I know there are a couple guys from VA4x4 down this way, and its always nice knowing a couple more trails. Thanks
i am not extremely familiar with mountain lake, i have only wheeled there once about 2 years ago, being an admin for SC4WDA though, i got to deal with the mishaps at mounainlake last spring wiith the USFS ...

its nothing special though, the legal wheeling up there can be done in a honda civic. really not worth the 45 mintue trip up there.

if you want something easy but worth your time, run bobcat or Potts ... bobcat is a good local run down glade road (between the empo and kroger). potts can be more difficult and is an hour out at best.

#12 ·
I've been through Bobcat a few times and was just looking for somewhere else to go nearby. Its a fun trail and its getting trickier. I've never been to Potts.

#13 ·
grantsjeep said:
Hey,

I just recently moved to the Southwest Virginia area and the Tri-Cities area of Tennessee. I wanted to know if there are any good trails in the area. I am not looking for a hard or extremely challenging trail, but more like a scenic/beginner trail.

Thanks
Grantsjeep
We have a pretty good sized club in the Tri-Cities area, I live in Kingsport myself. Check us out at http://www.4x4grace.com We're a christian based club, but everyone is welcome on our rides.

Ben

#15 ·
Mountain Lake is easy during dry weather. It can be a different story during a rainy period, though.

To get there, go up to the resort and straight past it. You will actually go thru the middle of it. Keep going. A couple of miles out, you will come to a college research area with a fork. Stay left. After a bit, you will come to a huge clearing where people camp. You have two choices. Going right is nothing more than a winding gravel road that will drop you over near the West Va line. Going right will take you on the "Jeep Trail" service road. It is about 5-10 miles thru there. You will come to a 4 way fork at one point. Keep going straight. Sooner or later, you will come out at a cool fire tower that overlooks Pembroke. You can either turn and go back the way you came, or go left at the fire tower and drive out to 460 in Pembroke. At the 4 way, if you had gone left, it would have taken you to a hunting camp. If you had gone right, it would have take you to White Rocks recreation area, which also leads you back to 460 near Pearisburg.

PM me. I'll go up there with you. I could go Sunday.

#17 · (Edited)
Places to Wheel

Just spent 3 days wheeling at Black Mountain. Stayed at Harlan County campground in Putney, KY just outside of Harlan, KY. Should be pretty close to you. You can enter trail 45 from the campground.
Heres some info: http://www.harlancountytrails.com/
:thumbsup:
Plenty of pics from our ride are located here: http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.com/pubpics/Harlan_Wrights/index.htm
Most of these pics are from the obstacles Pony Hill, Can Opener, Lions Den, Mason Jar, etc.. All trails have easy work arounds and plenty of sane scenic trails go for countless miles throughout the area.
I posted 17 videos from our trip here: http://www.vimeo.com/user236096/videos

#18 ·
Great pics and video. I love Harlan! I'm only about 1.5 hrs. away, and i usually get over there at least once a month. My avatar picture is from the first ledge on Lower Damnation in Harlan.

#19 ·
Lower Damnation

Hokie_YJ said:
Great pics and video. I love Harlan! I'm only about 1.5 hrs. away, and i usually get over there at least once a month. My avatar picture is from the first ledge on Lower Damnation in Harlan.
We had to winch one of our own out of Lower Damnation this last trip. Wish I only had 1.5 hours drive as I would go back often. It's about 6 hours from here but worth the trip. I'll be back up there before too long. Looks like your set-up in that YJ beats mine hands down!

#21 ·
Gum Hill

About Gum hill i havent been up it but i have hear that it is bout impossible to climb but there is a nice little mud hole that i have been through that you could spent a whole day there. i know all yall know this but dont go through it alone because in the mud hole there is bout a 60% chance of gettin stuck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.