Southwest Virginia and Northeast Tennessee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Southwest Virginia and Northeast Tennessee

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-06-2007, 08:00 PM   #1
grantsjeep
1978 CJ5 

Southwest Virginia and Northeast Tennessee

Hey,

I just recently moved to the Southwest Virginia area and the Tri-Cities area of Tennessee. I wanted to know if there are any good trails in the area. I am not looking for a hard or extremely challenging trail, but more like a scenic/beginner trail.

Thanks
Grantsjeep

Unread 11-06-2007, 08:58 PM   #2
xxxflhrci

What part of Va?
Unread 11-06-2007, 09:11 PM   #3
dogbluedrummer
Trust me....

2001 TJ Wrangler 

There's a good ORV park in Mountain City TN - called Callalantee
Everything I need to fix on the heep: ABS indicator, speed 4 on the blower fan, torn softop over driver's head, both seat release/tilt cables, missing center cap on spare, broken under hood light, wire up the CB, wiring problem with the reverse lights, broken bottle jack, leaky front and rear pinion seals, loose trackbar relocation bracket, torn drivers seat on the side, broken center console lock, lost nuts for door hinges, squeaking centering ball, loose parking brake cable, oil change and rotate the tires.
My build threadhttp://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/free-wife-good-home-pics-included-528892/
Unread 11-06-2007, 09:35 PM   #4
grantsjeep
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
What part of Va?
Abingdon, Virginia area, around mile marker 19 on Interstate 81.

-Grantsjeep
Unread 11-06-2007, 11:48 PM   #5
jeeptillidie
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Windrock is a tiny bit northwest of Knoxville and Uwharrie is not too far either in NC. Both of those would be good overnight trips.
Unread 11-08-2007, 12:19 PM   #6
mjm4soccer
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Theres also Bobcat in Blacksburg, and some old mining roads in Pulaski. My friends from Bristol, I'll ask him if he knows of anything.
Red Jeep Club member #396
2004 Wrangler X
2 Inch Spacer Lift with Cooper STT 31x10.50s
CAGE Offroad Shocks and Rancho Steering Stabilizer
A to Z Fabrication Rear Bumper and Rocker Guards
Front Diff Cover and Steering Box skid.
Unread 11-08-2007, 02:54 PM   #7
grantsjeep
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm4soccer
Theres also Bobcat in Blacksburg, and some old mining roads in Pulaski. My friends from Bristol, I'll ask him if he knows of anything.
OK thanks mjm4soccer, I live really close to bristol so that would be great!

Thanks
Grantsjeep
Unread 11-08-2007, 05:22 PM   #8
xxxflhrci

Quote:

You have to be careful on Bobcat, you can stumble on to some private property out there.

For a longer run in the Blacksburg area, try Mountain Lake. The trails are all labeled as "Jeep Trails" in the Virginia atlas. The run from the hotel thru to the hard top road at White Rocks is about 10 miles or so. It is pretty easy during the dry. During a rainy period is a little more tough. There are several turn outs with mud holes that you can run thru and hope not to get stuck in.
Unread 11-10-2007, 04:58 AM   #9
j0nesy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
You have to be careful on Bobcat, you can stumble on to some private property out there.

For a longer run in the Blacksburg area, try Mountain Lake. The trails are all labeled as "Jeep Trails" in the Virginia atlas. The run from the hotel thru to the hard top road at White Rocks is about 10 miles or so. It is pretty easy during the dry. During a rainy period is a little more tough. There are several turn outs with mud holes that you can run thru and hope not to get stuck in.

if you keep right at the fork, you are fine ...

warning about mountain lake ... STAY OUT OF THE MUD HOLES!!!!!! forest service will write you $300+ in tickets for going in the mudholes, they are NOT part of the sanctioned trail ... doens tmatter that they are 2 feet from the trail and have two-tracks going into them ... dont go in them.

if you coem to bburg, let me know and ill get soem guys from the club to run you up bobcat ... Sinking Creek 4 Wheel Drive Assoc. based out of blacksburg / virginia tech
Unread 11-12-2007, 12:41 PM   #10
mjm4soccer
2005 TJ Wrangler 

j0nesy,
Can you give me some more information about the trails up at Mountain Lake? I've only ever been up to the lake once, but was by myself and didn't really know where I was going. I know there are a couple guys from VA4x4 down this way, and its always nice knowing a couple more trails. Thanks
2004 Wrangler X
Unread 11-13-2007, 10:29 AM   #11
j0nesy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
j0nesy,
Can you give me some more information about the trails up at Mountain Lake? I've only ever been up to the lake once, but was by myself and didn't really know where I was going. I know there are a couple guys from VA4x4 down this way, and its always nice knowing a couple more trails. Thanks

i am not extremely familiar with mountain lake, i have only wheeled there once about 2 years ago, being an admin for SC4WDA though, i got to deal with the mishaps at mounainlake last spring wiith the USFS ...

its nothing special though, the legal wheeling up there can be done in a honda civic. really not worth the 45 mintue trip up there.

if you want something easy but worth your time, run bobcat or Potts ... bobcat is a good local run down glade road (between the empo and kroger). potts can be more difficult and is an hour out at best.
Unread 11-13-2007, 11:43 AM   #12
mjm4soccer
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I've been through Bobcat a few times and was just looking for somewhere else to go nearby. Its a fun trail and its getting trickier. I've never been to Potts.
2004 Wrangler X
Unread 11-13-2007, 03:36 PM   #13
Hokie_YJ
The RockFather

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantsjeep
Hey,

I just recently moved to the Southwest Virginia area and the Tri-Cities area of Tennessee. I wanted to know if there are any good trails in the area. I am not looking for a hard or extremely challenging trail, but more like a scenic/beginner trail.

Thanks
Grantsjeep
We have a pretty good sized club in the Tri-Cities area, I live in Kingsport myself. Check us out at http://www.4x4grace.com We're a christian based club, but everyone is welcome on our rides.

Ben

"Beat it like it owes you money"

Jeep Wrangler with some bolt-on "stuff"
Unread 11-15-2007, 12:54 AM   #14
adurbin
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I second Hokie YJ's post. I myself am a supporter of 4x4grace, and you are actually very close to tjrockcrawler on the grace forum.

Go to this link
www.4x4grace.com
Northeast Tennessee Jeep Club Member #1
Unread 11-15-2007, 03:54 AM   #15
xxxflhrci

Mountain Lake is easy during dry weather. It can be a different story during a rainy period, though.

To get there, go up to the resort and straight past it. You will actually go thru the middle of it. Keep going. A couple of miles out, you will come to a college research area with a fork. Stay left. After a bit, you will come to a huge clearing where people camp. You have two choices. Going right is nothing more than a winding gravel road that will drop you over near the West Va line. Going right will take you on the "Jeep Trail" service road. It is about 5-10 miles thru there. You will come to a 4 way fork at one point. Keep going straight. Sooner or later, you will come out at a cool fire tower that overlooks Pembroke. You can either turn and go back the way you came, or go left at the fire tower and drive out to 460 in Pembroke. At the 4 way, if you had gone left, it would have taken you to a hunting camp. If you had gone right, it would have take you to White Rocks recreation area, which also leads you back to 460 near Pearisburg.

PM me. I'll go up there with you. I could go Sunday.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.