Soon to be Rubicon owner in South Mississippi (Pics) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Soon to be Rubicon owner in South Mississippi (Pics)

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 06-02-2009, 11:20 PM   #1
Schroed
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Soon to be Rubicon owner in South Mississippi (Pics)

Hey guys, this forum seems to be a lot more active than most that I have seen so I hope I will gain a lot of knowledge from it. I have been a member on my350z.com for two and a half years and I would have never known the things I know about my Z without it. I currently own a 2005 Nissan 350Z, but as soon as it sells I have an 05 Rubicon waiting for me. I can't wait to get it and start modding. The Jeep is owned by my Girlfriends step-mom, who is the original owner with low miles. She said she has only put it in 4wheel drive once.
Since I am selling my Z I decided to part it out, and all of the money I made off my parts are going in to the Rubicon. I have narrowed down what lift I'm getting, but I still have a few questions about tire sizes. The day my car sells I'm ordering the Rubicon Express 4.5" lift and either getting 35"s or 33"s. I haven't decided yet, the Jeep is going to be my everyday driver so that is the only reason I'm even thinking about 33"s.
I had an old YJ when I was in high school, but only for a short time. I have missed driving a Jeep, I actually almost got one instead of my Z. I know it's going to be a big change from driving a sportscar that sits a few inches off the ground, but I'm so ready to not be worried about every speed bump and object in the road.

Here is a pic of my old YJ.

The Rubicon

My Z!

Schroed is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2009, 11:25 PM   #2
Schroed
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know why it won't let me post my pictures in the thread, maybe someone can help me out...
Unread 06-03-2009, 11:18 AM   #3
tnjeep03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

You need a few more posts before the pics will appear.

Great choice on the Rubicon, I love mine.

On your lift/modifying the jeep, I would spend as much time as you can stand researching before you buy anything. My free advise (for what its worth - lol): if your only planning to run 33s/35s you probably don't need the 4.5" RE lift (which is known to run higher than that). I've never had a RE lift but from what I can tell they are decent quality. However, you can fit the tires your thinking with much smaller lifts (which will keep your center of gravity low) and in many cases be able to keep the stock arms for a bit until you decide to upgrade them. A very common setup for those tire sizes is a 2.5" lift + 1.25" BL (maybe a spacer for 35s). If you don't plan to do much rock crawling then you probably don't care about your center of gravity, but if you do the first time you feel that jeep want to tip over you'll change your mind quick - .
tnjeep03 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2009, 11:57 AM   #4
Schroed
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have been researching for the past week, but I haven't really thought about the center of gravity. I know I'm not going to be able drive like I'm in a nascar around turns anymore, but I didn't really think about how much worse it's going to be when I lift it. I really don't want to do any kind of body lift, I just never liked the cheapness of body lifts.
Unread 06-03-2009, 01:32 PM   #5
tnjeep03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroed View Post
I have been researching for the past week, but I haven't really thought about the center of gravity. I know I'm not going to be able drive like I'm in a nascar around turns anymore, but I didn't really think about how much worse it's going to be when I lift it. I really don't want to do any kind of body lift, I just never liked the cheapness of body lifts.
Yea, I felt the same way about body lifts, but if you check around there are lots of good reasons to do a small one (1.25"). Here is what swayed me:

1) keeps cog low (you aren't lifting the suspension/frame just the body but you get more tire clearance - and can run less bumpstop for given lift/tire combo)

2) allows for easy clearance gains with aftermarket belly up skids or gas tank skids - many of which give you 2" more in those locations (see Rokmen for example). You can make most of these things work without a BL but it is more work and makes things a bit tight under there. Again, big gains in clearance with no change in cog.

3) for a small BL its hard to tell its on - hidden in the front by my bumper and winch, on the side by my sliders, on the rear will be hidden when i get my rear tire carrier/bumper - even before i had these things it was difficult to tell it was on... this is personal preference though. if your really worried about it, try to find some jeeps in your area with a small BL and see if you really hate it or not
tnjeep03 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2009, 01:54 PM   #6
SpoiledRotten
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroed View Post
Here is a pic of my old YJ.

The Rubicon

My Z!

Trying to get the pics posted click free....
Christian Jeepers _ Member #2
United Four Wheel Drive Association _ Member
National Rifle Association _ Member
SpoiledRotten is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2009, 04:05 PM   #7
Schroed
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnjeep03 View Post
Yea, I felt the same way about body lifts, but if you check around there are lots of good reasons to do a small one (1.25"). Here is what swayed me:

1) keeps cog low (you aren't lifting the suspension/frame just the body but you get more tire clearance - and can run less bumpstop for given lift/tire combo)

2) allows for easy clearance gains with aftermarket belly up skids or gas tank skids - many of which give you 2" more in those locations (see Rokmen for example). You can make most of these things work without a BL but it is more work and makes things a bit tight under there. Again, big gains in clearance with no change in cog.

3) for a small BL its hard to tell its on - hidden in the front by my bumper and winch, on the side by my sliders, on the rear will be hidden when i get my rear tire carrier/bumper - even before i had these things it was difficult to tell it was on... this is personal preference though. if your really worried about it, try to find some jeeps in your area with a small BL and see if you really hate it or not

Yeah any thoughts I have of body lifts are from my friends in High School that used to throw 3" body lifts on their Z71s to fit 31"s. I go to school over in Mobile, AL and I heard they have a good club over there. I assume one of them has to have a 1" body lift I can look at. I don't think that 35"s will look small with the 4.5" RE lift, most of the people running that setup have 35"s or 33"s. I was worried that 35"s would be too big and rub. I'm going to keep an open mind about the body lift, and probably go with the RE 4.5" and 1" BL.
Unread 06-03-2009, 11:58 PM   #8
dholder
2006 TJ Wrangler 

do the 1.25 jks BL...and it is worth it...like he said...i have a 2 inch suspension lift and 1.25 BL for the belly up..and i run 35s no prob..
Unread 06-04-2009, 10:17 PM   #9
redneck23ms
1992 YJ Wrangler 

check out this thread. i posted websites for all of the local clubs in it a while back. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f163/off-roading-coastal-mississippi-620273/
redneck23ms is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2009, 01:41 AM   #10
bebout
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dholder View Post
do the 1.25 jks BL...and it is worth it...like he said...i have a 2 inch suspension lift and 1.25 BL for the belly up..and i run 35s no prob..

When did you get 35's?
bebout is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2009, 04:37 PM   #11
dholder
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebout View Post
When did you get 35's?
about 1 month ago...got my fenders on and tummy tuck, control arms and 35s..we need to go riding soon..anytime..
Unread 06-09-2009, 04:30 PM   #12
Adamlee78
2001 TJ Wrangler 

lose the bra. Also look into the CMSJA.org forum Central Mississippi Jeep Association. They do alot in the Jackson area.
Unread 06-12-2009, 01:19 PM   #13
Schroed
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I've only had a few people look at my Z, I want my Jeep now! This is killing me, I'm listing it on ebay tonight. It's been on cars.com for three weeks and not one call yet.
Unread 06-12-2009, 04:03 PM   #14
redneck23ms
1992 YJ Wrangler 

list it in craigslist as well
redneck23ms is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2009, 01:14 AM   #15
Schroed
2004 TJ Wrangler 

It's on craigslist, cars, my350z, 350zmotoring, s2ki, redlined, and now Ebay. Hopefully Ebay will turn out good. I just wish there was somewhere i could put it up for sale in Ocean Springs. My friends dad owns Napa, but his Z is for sale up there already.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.