North Ga Mountain ride Feb 13(was Cochran's Falls...) - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > North Ga Mountain ride Feb 13(was Cochran's Falls...)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 02-06-2010, 03:37 PM   #46
gotCLAY
1984 CJ7 

Working on the CJ this week so I can lose some more parts this weekend. I might camp but not 100% on that yet.

Unread 02-06-2010, 07:19 PM   #47
flyingbrian
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ-Jer View Post
Cool site Tick!

I figured we'd take FS79 then down FS698. Last I was there, it was a rough ride but nothing too daunting. Lots of pull offs and secondary trails that I have never explored. Nice camping along the way as well. Clay is from these parts and may chime in here with additional ideas but for now, The 79-698 route is our current plan.

They are predicting Rain/snow as of now so we could be in for a wintery trail ride :-)
I like that route, looking forward to it. Rain, Snow, Ice. lots of switchbacks. Cool
Unread 02-08-2010, 02:38 PM   #48
camper49
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm still interested in driving up and joining you. I've been checking accuweather.com/helen, ga. It will be well below freezing friday night and saturday night. I've camped that cold before....but it makes an impression on ya if your from florida. I'll be solo this trip.

When I get home tonight, I'm going to reserve a tent site inside Unicoi State Park for friday and saturday night. I like to camp in the woods along creeks, but I don't want to meet y'all and ride with a jeep load of firewood and camping gear. And since I don't know any of you, or who might change their mind about camping in the cold...I'd rather have a plan for me. According to the park web site, reservations are required. Its 14 dollars a night for a walk in tent site...22 dollars for a driveway site. I'll probably go with the walk in option. In case anyone else is interested.

I wanted to get up that way before spring anyway. Your chatter about a group ride influenced my decision. If for some reason the crowd doesn't show (weather), I'll still poke around on the forest roads. I know some of them from experience, mostly west of hwy 19 centered around the crossroad called Suches. But I haven't ridden the Tray Mountain side of Georgia hwy 17.

Depending of how it goes, I may slow ride and/or hike near Amicalola/Suches on Sunday as well. I love my jeep, but I like to walk some too. If anyone wants to ride sunday, we can talk about it. Probably will primitive camp near there sunday night.

I'll post again later....thanks

'98 TJ wrangler sport.....gunmetal blue
XJ d30/rubicon TJ d44...33's with popular suspension mods

want to read my build threads...they're long with lots of pictures
Unread 02-09-2010, 04:32 AM   #49
trailreadyjp
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper49 View Post
I'm still interested in driving up and joining you. I've been checking accuweather.com/helen, ga. It will be well below freezing friday night and saturday night. I've camped that cold before....but it makes an impression on ya if your from florida. I'll be solo this trip.

When I get home tonight, I'm going to reserve a tent site inside Unicoi State Park for friday and saturday night. I like to camp in the woods along creeks, but I don't want to meet y'all and ride with a jeep load of firewood and camping gear. And since I don't know any of you, or who might change their mind about camping in the cold...I'd rather have a plan for me. According to the park web site, reservations are required. Its 14 dollars a night for a walk in tent site...22 dollars for a driveway site. I'll probably go with the walk in option. In case anyone else is interested.

I wanted to get up that way before spring anyway. Your chatter about a group ride influenced my decision. If for some reason the crowd doesn't show (weather), I'll still poke around on the forest roads. I know some of them from experience, mostly west of hwy 19 centered around the crossroad called Suches. But I haven't ridden the Tray Mountain side of Georgia hwy 17.

Depending of how it goes, I may slow ride and/or hike near Amicalola/Suches on Sunday as well. I love my jeep, but I like to walk some too. If anyone wants to ride sunday, we can talk about it. Probably will primitive camp near there sunday night.

I'll post again later....thanks
I will be there regaurdless of the weather. The weather stations around here have been screaming snow for about 3 weeks and nothing that bad has come along if anything at all. I believe there are a couple others that will show as well if even if there is a weather isssue. As for the camping it is a little to cold for me to be in a tent. Look forward to seeing you Saturday morning.
Unread 02-09-2010, 08:33 AM   #50
mdywglr4x4
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I will be there. That won't be a problem at all
Unread 02-09-2010, 02:32 PM   #51
tricked919
2007 JK Wrangler 

soooo... are you running stuff people know or is this an exploration? How long do you plan on being out? Do FSR's run from Helen up to Tallulah?

Been jonz'n for a wheeling trip. I'm in Franklin, NC (about an hour north)... really thinking about coming down for this one.

EDIT: OK, I'm in...
Unread 02-09-2010, 02:48 PM   #52
mdywglr4x4
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I think we have an actual planned route. Last time we rolled out around 10am and drove around and the last group of Jeeps left at 4pm. I assume we get back in around 4-6 this time. My guess. Never been on this exact route.
Unread 02-09-2010, 05:31 PM   #53
flyingbrian
2010 JK Wrangler 

I will be there and ride with the crew,I'm not concerned with the weather I would be, if I was in a Hummer LOL

12pm to ?? I'm good till dusk or pavement which ever comes first..

I thought someone had a route planned FS78 to FS698 or something like that. looking at the map 698 has 5 to 6 creek crossings

ahhhh no, I will not be one with the stars. to cold to camp
Unread 02-09-2010, 05:31 PM   #54
YJ-Jer
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have driven this route before (it's been about three months now) and it took about 3 hours driving alone (single vehicle) and not doing a lot of exploring. I figure with 5-6 jeeps, it will take a bit longer and with the FS roads and winter weather, I have no idea how good or bad the road will be this time around. I am quite sure it will be a kidney killer at times :-)

If we finish with some daylight and some desire to continue on, there is another road just north of where FS 698 exits onto GA 75 called Mill Creek Road that I am itchin' to explore. No idea what it is like, I just see it on the map and the topo looks interesting.

Quick Question:

Of those going, how many have CBs? I am thinking about picking one up by the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown
"You know you drive a YJ when you run over a shadow and feel the steering wheel jerk."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
Unread 02-09-2010, 05:46 PM   #55
gotCLAY
1984 CJ7 

I just booked a room at the unicoi lodge for two nights. They have a V day special going on. So im up for wheeling as long as you want. We are heading up on Friday. Just got to get the Icebreaker finished. LOOKING FORWARD TO IT.
Unread 02-09-2010, 06:02 PM   #56
camper49
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have a cb radio....and a credit card for a holiday inn express if I feel like it....

a cb radio makes all the difference for trail ride fun....

'98 TJ wrangler sport.....gunmetal blue
XJ d30/rubicon TJ d44...33's with popular suspension mods

want to read my build threads...they're long with lots of pictures
Unread 02-09-2010, 06:28 PM   #57
flyingbrian
2010 JK Wrangler 

well crap, thats the one thing I really should get.

I may buy the Cobra 19 tomorrow with a cig. light plug and a cheapo magnet antenna until I can buy a Fire-stick and wire it correctly..

or we could all do a conference call and I can use a Bridge from work. LMAO
Unread 02-09-2010, 08:35 PM   #58
Tick
1998 TJ Wrangler 

We will be camping with kids. woo hoo!

I have a CB, its great for trail riding.
Unread 02-10-2010, 08:31 AM   #59
mdywglr4x4
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I will have my CB up and running as well. Just replaced a bad Cobra 29 with a Cobra 29 LTD with nightwatch. See you guys on saturday!
Unread 02-10-2010, 11:35 AM   #60
tricked919
2007 JK Wrangler 

Has anyone done this enough of this run to know if there's any low clearance spots? I'm currently running with my roof rack and ski-case (probably close to 8' top height"). I really don't want to take it off if I don't have to.

All the FSR's up here in WNC (that are open) are fine, but I've seen my share of overgrown unmarked trails that are really tight. If its a lot of tight stuff, I'll suck it up and take the rack off.
'07 JK 2dr Sahara - auto w/ 4.10's and rear locker. 2" OME HD coil lift, BDS shocks, and 1" body-lift. 34" Hankook RT09 MT's on 16" AEV Bridgers. ARB diff covers, Warn bumpers, Warn 9K winch, a couple Hella lights ...and a WORTHLESS AirRaid CAI.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.