North Ga Mountain ride Feb 13(was Cochran's Falls...) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > North Ga Mountain ride Feb 13(was Cochran's Falls...)

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-15-2010, 10:36 PM   #1
YJ-Jer
1994 YJ Wrangler 

North Ga Mountain ride Feb 13(was Cochran's Falls...)

I figured we needed a thread for this ride in Feb. Looks like we will meet out near Unicoi SP/Helen and take a ride over Tray Mountain and wherever the FS road take us. I have driven Tray Mountain (It is a kidney killer) though I think Clay and others may have more experience in the area and know which trails/FS roads are better than others.

Post up and let's see who is game for a little February fun

(hopefully it wont be 19 degrees like it was last month! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown
"You know you drive a YJ when you run over a shadow and feel the steering wheel jerk."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJ-Jer is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2010, 07:04 AM   #2
camper49
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I saw some chatter about this idea on your other topic. I had been thinking about making a trip up there before spring. I'm interested in what develops here over the next few days.

Your date of Feb 13 is a saturday. I'll need a Friday off from work to drive up from Orlando...maybe set up a campsite near your ride, and then meet you all that saturday morning. I'd likely camp again saturday night, if anyone else is interested. I know of several good campgrounds and/or state parks and/or primitive (free) camping.

It will be a few days before I know if I can take friday, Feb 12 off work. I'll get back and post here to say for sure.

'98 TJ wrangler sport.....gunmetal blue
XJ d30/rubicon TJ d44...33's with popular suspension mods

want to read my build threads...they're long with lots of pictures
camper49 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2010, 08:42 AM   #3
Tick
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I am in for Feb13th. Look forward to meeting everyone again and some new folks as well.
Tick is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2010, 10:10 AM   #4
gotCLAY
1984 CJ7 

Im in, Sounds good to me. I will try to head up in a few bays to refresh my memory and explore some other FS roads. If its not to cold I would be down with primitive camping.
Unread 01-16-2010, 10:10 AM   #5
rabunjeeper
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Im in. Kidney killer is a understatement for Tray mtn, but its cool. Here is a few pics of some f/s roads north of Tray mtn.
hightower-006.jpg   abe-gap-043.jpg   sutton-hole-002.jpg  
rabunjeeper is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2010, 10:22 AM   #6
Tick
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Nice! Looks like we will have a good time.
Unread 01-17-2010, 01:14 AM   #7
broncofire75
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I might be in for this. If the GF wants to go out Sunday for Vday. Maybe I can convince her that the sight seeing and just spending the day with me is what I want for Valentines lol.

Gotta order a few things and I'm gonna be in Gatlinburg the weekend before but I can prolly make it. About a 2 hour ride for me.

Are there many trails with decent rocks or ruts? Not much for mud really.
-Shaved 8.25 w/HD shafts/Auburn LS/4:10s, HP30 w/ Lock-right, sliders, HD track bar bracket, AA SYE, AppA TC skid, AFE intake, Magnaflow exhaust, Bored TB-
broncofire75 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2010, 10:21 AM   #8
CJnaTJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm going to try to make this. Just moved to the area, so looking to try out some of the local(ish) terrain.

As time gets closer, I'll try to hook up with someone from south of ATL to convoy up with to make sure I end up at the right spot.
Unread 01-17-2010, 10:25 AM   #9
MilitaryJK4455
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Did ya'll say this is in cochran? My family lives in hawkinsville and I will be down some time in feb.... If ya'll can give me a date maybe i can plan my mini vaca around this so that i can meet up and ride with you guys. I love wheelin in GA.
MilitaryJK4455 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2010, 12:50 PM   #10
dualtjs
2011 JK Wrangler 

Count me in. Probably my son too (he's got to wait to see how much school work that he has to deal with).
dualtjs is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2010, 12:54 PM   #11
dualtjs
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Militaryman4455 View Post
Did ya'll say this is in cochran? My family lives in hawkinsville and I will be down some time in feb.... If ya'll can give me a date maybe i can plan my mini vaca around this so that i can meet up and ride with you guys. I love wheelin in GA.
This is near Helen, GA. Cochran Falls is near Dahlonega, GA (north of ATL). Helen is probably 4 hrs North of Cochran/Hawkinsville.

Last edited by dualtjs; 01-17-2010 at 02:38 PM..
dualtjs is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2010, 12:56 PM   #12
MilitaryJK4455
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Ok, I know where Dahlonega is. Thats where my parents live. May still go if ya'll can come up with an exact date.
MilitaryJK4455 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 11:45 AM   #13
trailreadyjp
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I am in for sure. I look forward to playing in the dirt again. rabunjeeper what fs roads were those in the pics? I would really like to try those out some day. Look forward to seeing you all again and any new comers.
trailreadyjp is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 03:19 PM   #14
rabunjeeper
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailreadyjp View Post
I am in for sure. I look forward to playing in the dirt again. rabunjeeper what fs roads were those in the pics? I would really like to try those out some day. Look forward to seeing you all again and any new comers.
The first pic is Tallulah river in Rabun County, the second is coleman river wma in rabun county, and the third, well, if i told ya i'd have to kill ya, ha ha ha!
rabunjeeper is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 03:35 PM   #15
Tick
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Militaryman4455 View Post
Ok, I know where Dahlonega is. Thats where my parents live. May still go if ya'll can come up with an exact date.
I'm pretty sure the tentative date is Feb. 13th. I hope you can join us.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.