NC wheeling spots - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > NC wheeling spots

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 08-12-2009, 03:20 PM   #1
tricked919
2007 JK Wrangler 

NC wheeling spots

OK, to my amazement, Jeep life has been tough since moving to Franklin, NC last Fall. I'm an hour from Tellico and the hopes of seeing it open up this Spring never became more than hopes. I thought I'd be a wheeling idiot up here. Granted I spend 50+ miles a week off road for work - some of it fun & challenging stuff, but nothing I can make a weekend out of. All I hear about is Windrock, Beasley and Uwharrie ... I stumbled across a Land Rover site and those guys (oldnorthstate) spend lots of time wheeling at Caney Fork and Richland Gap. Caney Fork is 1/2 hour from me. The pics on their posts look great, but I never hear any Jeep guys talking about these spots. What gives??

We have God-knows-how-many millions of low population acreage with sick terrain on the west side of this state and no decent group wheeling spots. I'm speechless.

tricked919 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2009, 01:36 AM   #2
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

Get a forest road map from one of the ranger stations, and just start exploring. A lot are dirt roads, but there are some mildly challenging sections in your area, particularly in the rain. Some decent between Franklin and Murphy (N of the road between the 2.)

Another place to consider is Beasley Knob OHV area in GA, it's only about 20 miles S of the NC/GA border from Murphy.
jumbojeepman is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2009, 10:53 PM   #3
wfttalon
1999 WJ 

im gettin ready to move to the wilmington area, any places to go aroung there?
wfttalon is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2009, 04:44 AM   #4
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

You can drive on the beach at Ft. Fisher, I think you have to pay a day fee now, though.
Unread 08-20-2009, 12:00 PM   #5
wfttalon
1999 WJ 

yea u can buy a year pass for like 30 bucks instead of payin 20 or so for the day. im from the midwest so im use to mud an trails, figured there is nothing around this area for that stuff.
wfttalon is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2009, 11:52 PM   #6
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

There is some mud at the Croatan Nat'l forest, but it's surely different than midwest mud. It's basically easy dirt roads, with some side roads with infinitely deep mud holes. The ground there is soil on top of a peat bog, and if you break through the soil level down to the bog, well, there's no bottom. Go with someone so they can pull you out, it's easy to uproot the trees with a winch@!@!@!
Unread 08-23-2009, 08:06 PM   #7
82cj5
1982 CJ5 

The forest service roads that I have found are pretty tame. I have found some of them over near Helen. The scenery is nice but not much to wheel. I usually pass passenger cars belonging to hikers along the roads. There are a lot of these roads and I have only been on a few of them. I am looking forward to exploring more of them.
82cj5 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2009, 09:09 PM   #8
johnWJ

2014 JK Wrangler 

Caney fork and all of those roads around that area all lead up to what we call "the bald". It is an overlook at the top of the mountain. I have spent many days wheeling out in the area while I was in college. A good spot is to drive down Caney fork road and right before you get to the trail, there is a road on the right that looks like a driveway (it is the last right turn you can make before you get to the "pavement ends" sign. That is called ruff butt road and is a pretty fun little spot to wheel.

I have heard that those trails can take you all the way out to balsam mountain preserve, but have never been that far out.
Unread 08-25-2009, 11:48 AM   #9
Brandon97TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Wilmington has a lot of hills/mud/woods trails. Some fun stuff if you know who to talk to, and they know about the area. There is a club and forum for the Wilmington area and it's pretty active. Coastal Carolina Offroad
Brandon97TJ is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2009, 08:37 PM   #10
BondoBbad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricked919 View Post
OK, to my amazement, Jeep life has been tough since moving to Franklin, NC last Fall. I'm an hour from Tellico and the hopes of seeing it open up this Spring never became more than hopes. I thought I'd be a wheeling idiot up here. Granted I spend 50+ miles a week off road for work - some of it fun & challenging stuff, but nothing I can make a weekend out of. All I hear about is Windrock, Beasley and Uwharrie ... I stumbled across a Land Rover site and those guys (oldnorthstate) spend lots of time wheeling at Caney Fork and Richland Gap. Caney Fork is 1/2 hour from me. The pics on their posts look great, but I never hear any Jeep guys talking about these spots. What gives??

We have God-knows-how-many millions of low population acreage with sick terrain on the west side of this state and no decent group wheeling spots. I'm speechless.
I've lived in Franklin my whole life! Small world. Anyway, I do know of a couple pretty cool places to go wheelin here in town or close by if you wanna meet up sometime. I don't have any wheelin buddies.
BondoBbad is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2009, 10:37 PM   #11
my1979impala
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i live in boone, go too app state. does anyone know of anywhere to wheel around here? all i know is there is some unmaintained state road off the parkway but im not quite sure where it is.
Unread 09-17-2009, 02:21 AM   #12
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by my1979impala View Post
i live in boone, go too app state. does anyone know of anywhere to wheel around here? all i know is there is some unmaintained state road off the parkway but im not quite sure where it is.
You guys in the NC mountains just need to get a map of the national forests from the ranger station, and just start explorin'. Some of the forest roads are just that, some are pretty good trails.

Off the top of my head, in your area is Brown Mountain, the Globe/Mortimer area, and the Wilson Creek Gorge area. All three are to the SW of Boone. Go down to Blowing Rock. All three are in an area bounded by the BRP, US321, NC90 and NC181.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.