Looking for a good mechanic in Charlottesville, VA - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Looking for a good mechanic in Charlottesville, VA

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-05-2010, 06:48 AM   #1
cvillecj7

Looking for a good mechanic in Charlottesville, VA

I have moved to Charlottesville, VA and am looking for a good Jeep mechanic in the area. Does anyone know of someone in or near Charlottesville? Thanks.

Unread 01-05-2010, 09:22 AM   #2
BENJPN
1990 YJ Wrangler 

What kind of repairs are you looking to do? I know a guy in Lynchburg that is Jeep specific and fair on price.
Unread 01-05-2010, 09:34 AM   #3
cvillecj7

I am looking for engine and possibly transmission work. I am worried I may have a bad throw out bearing but I am not 100% sure. Thanks for getting back to me.
Unread 01-05-2010, 10:20 AM   #4
jeep11484
2014 JK Wrangler 

I know someone who is an excellent mechanic and does all the work on my cars/jeeps i wont do. He is North of Cville, I would highly recommend him. He has worked on cars and Jeeps for a long long time and has a shop he runs from his house. Let me know if you want his info.
Unread 01-05-2010, 04:32 PM   #5
Redmanchew
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Sounds like friday nights over at CvilleCj7's place!!!! are you in the city? I take mine downtown for my work and they have been more then fair. PM me for info.
either that or like i said, it sounds like a gather place to help a fellow jeeper!
1982 CJ-7 2003 4.3 chevy vortec, 4L60E, Clocked Dana 300 35 x 12.5 x 15 KM2 on Cragar 399's. Vanco Brake Booster. Power steering conversion. Warn front and rear bumpers with swing away. Moser 1 piece rears. Rear OX.

Support your local MS foundation. You don't know how much this disease sucks until it affects someone you love.

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/si...al&fr_id=18331

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoleos617 View Post
To reiterate for the 1,067th time, when towing...
remove rear axle, xfer in N, trans in 5th, remove neg batt cable, key to Run and go??
Unread 01-06-2010, 06:33 PM   #6
rayzdjp1
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Search for any clubs in your area, they should have lots of info. First comes to mind is "bigdogoffroad", I believe they're in your area.
Unread 01-06-2010, 10:51 PM   #7
tacweapon
1996 ZJ 

I dont know if you would want to cross the mountain into Harrisonburg or not but I have a great mechanic in Harrisonburg, he knows his stuff and he is very fair in price. If you want his Info PM me
Unread 01-07-2010, 05:12 PM   #8
2dswithaCJ5
2012 JK Wrangler 

I am getting some leaks fixed and rear axle seal replaced up at Forest Lakes Auto. There are a couple of hot rod guys up there that know their way around older engines. They also did a great job for a Bronco resto project.

Of course, with the right spot to work, I am sure most of us in the area can help with anything. Put me on the inquiry list... need a spot to do some suspension work and they don't let me do it here in the parking lot out here in Crozet.
Unread 01-07-2010, 07:31 PM   #9
jeep11484
2014 JK Wrangler 

What kind of work do you need to do. I have a garage at my house that may be able to help you. I have put 3 suspension lifts on in it but its not the roomiest garage. Let me know if you have any interest.
Unread 01-08-2010, 06:08 AM   #10
2dswithaCJ5
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep11484 View Post
What kind of work do you need to do. I have a garage at my house that may be able to help you. I have put 3 suspension lifts on in it but its not the roomiest garage. Let me know if you have any interest.
After I clean up the intake and valve cover leaks, I am wanting to get rid of the PO's shackle lift, change to a 2.5" leaf on the front and add 2"- 2 1/2" lift springs, with new shocks. I hate the idea of paying hard earned money for someone to do it for me at a 'real' shop when it is quite simple.

I miss growing up on the farm and being able to do this type of work with my dad on the trusty '74 but I have sinced moved a little too far away to make the trip, do the work and return home.

The "to do" and "want to do" list keeps getting longer, but making it a bit more stable for daily driver/ light trail use is the priority.

I will definitely appreciate any help I can get... will Domino's and Star Hill work for you?
Unread 01-08-2010, 07:01 PM   #11
jeep11484
2014 JK Wrangler 

Well if you dont mind a kinda cramped work space and driving to Greene to work on it then i could possibly be of help to you. Dominos will def. work, but not a big fan of Star Hill. Never was much of a beer guy for whatever reason. Where do you live in Crozet. The pic looks like near the public park there. I just got a small compressor and this would be a good project to try it out on. Let me know.
Unread 01-13-2010, 08:47 PM   #12
Lifesgoodhere

Southside Jeepers out of Richmond will be glad to help out anytime. They have same all the way over to the valley here to give me a few extra arms on my rigs when I needed it. Great group of fellas, been with them 2 years.

I wouldn't mind taking a run over your way one weekend. im about 30-40 minutes from ya! I can help. I work on drive lines mostly. Thats what im good at.
*The Homestretch ---- Finishing the Hammer. It's on!!
Unread 01-23-2010, 10:46 AM   #13
2dswithaCJ5
2012 JK Wrangler 

Well, I got my intake manifold on the way, diff covers are here from Riddler and new valve covers. This really seems like something I can do myself given someplace in side to work on it. Anybody in or around cville good with this sort of thing and have a free Saturday in February?

I am still going to let Forest Lakes do my rear diff, axle seals and brakes. I don't want to get into something like that.
Unread 02-08-2010, 07:57 AM   #14
86YJSEANVA
1986 YJ Wrangler 

I know a great place in charlottesville by the downtown mall. he literaly know the wiring and motor inside and out hes got it all memorized and they ahve never cheated us everytime they say this need to be fixed to fix x problem once that was done the problem would go away and usualy never come back. they are also very nice there.
Unread 02-11-2010, 02:27 PM   #15
2005 WK 

If anyone needs extra hands, I'm also willing to help. I'm in Charlottesville and just got a stocker that I'll be modding in the future myself.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.