Koolaid's first URE trip details w/TONS of pics - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Koolaid's first URE trip details w/TONS of pics

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 08-21-2009, 04:03 AM   #1
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Koolaid's first URE trip details w/TONS of pics

Alright... we got up to URE around 3pm and got all settled in at the campsite.

This was my first camping trip with my son and he was having a blast from the start. He liked just chillin in the tent.

Before we fully unpacked we had to go explore around the campsites.... My son's favorite thing to do was to walk out on EVERY SINGLE fallen tree we passed

Now it's time for my fat belly to get some food. At this point I was already sweating awy to nothing. We fired up the grill for some burgers and dogs. I forgot the grill tools, so improvised with some sticks...

We weren't originally planning on going out in the Jeep the first night. I DID get a trail pass just in case though....so.....why not I figured we'd just go over and check out Wolf Den real quick and then call it a night...

Well....after going through Wolf Den I didn't feel like just turning around and going back through it again, so my bright idea was to continue on and do Falls Dam. On the map that I had it didn't list the distances of the trails. I had no idea Falls Dam was more than 3x longer than Wolf Den. I ALSO thought that I could follow Falls Dam and eventually run into a main road that would allow me to loop back around to my campsite. WOW!!!! was I wrong. SO, there I was..... 8:30PM, this is my first time offroad, I haven't seen one other single person out on the trails, it's f'n dark, we're at the dead end and have to go all the way back through both of the trails. Now that being said.... I was a little overwhelmed on the trails at first. I had no clue what the capabilities of my Jeep were. I know I barely tested it on this trip, but I was still nervous, because if I broke down or got stuck I was SCREWED. I turned one corner and saw a HUGE mud puddle (really wasn't that big, but I got nervous). So, I tried to go around it. I climbed the bank next to it and maneuvered between two small trees that I shouldn't have been able to get through. At this point I was REALLY pleased with myself and feeling very positive....until I turned the corner a minute later only to find a puddle twice the size with no way around. SO, I told my son to hang on and let him know we were about to get muddy. He thought this was awesome and would be happy playing in the mud all day. I would agree with him as long as I had a way to get myself out if I got stuck. Well....needless to say we went through the "HUGE" mud puddle like it was pavement.....no problems at all. I was worried and being a big vagina for no reason That was all before getting to the dead end..... So, annoyed that we had to go through it all again....just because it was getting late, dark, and I had been awake since noon the day before, because I worked a 12 hour shift the night before and packed and left for URE right after getting off at 7am. I was running on empty and my son was crashing fast.... We made it from the dead end, back through both trails, and back to the campsite safe and sound at a snails pace. It was pretty fast for me though. I tried to get a pic of the one puddle on the way back, but it was too dark....

poor guy was exhausted and just wanted to go to sleep

The next morning I took some pics of my dirty Jeep. It actually didn't look half as bad as I thought it was going to....

The 2nd day we decided to just play around and stay off the trails

Some fun with a hatchet...

more climbing on logs

taking a rest

My son's favorite log in the water by site #11...

THEN..... the 3rd day after breakfast it was time to pack up and head home. My son wanted to stay forever....

All packed up and ready to go...

Can't WAIT to go back
Next time there will be more trail pics and I will DEFINITELY be doing it with a group.

koolaid5 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2009, 04:05 AM   #2
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, I had a few other pictures attached at first, but instead of breaking up my long post into 2 posts to make the 20 pic limit I just deleted a few of them. It was just a little more of the same, so I thought I'd spare you guys. It's long enough as it is....sorry
Unread 08-21-2009, 04:55 AM   #3
Mike in IL
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well, you made it through, had some fun, had some good family time with your son, didn't break anything or get stuck. Sounds like you did ok. A few months ago, my son and one of his co-workers came by the house. They wanted to go out wheeling in my son's 4x4 Ford, but they both said, " If your not going out and taking your Jeep, we aren't going." They both knew the importance of wheeling with someone. Also, the Jeep had the winch and straps, and other gear etc. Again, glad you had a good time.
Mike in IL is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2009, 05:08 AM   #4
JavaTee
1979 CJ5 

This is just a fyi, please know where your engine air intake is located. My friend went through that same hole (when the water was a little higher), and hydrolocked his engine YouTube - North meets South UC Uwharrie part 1 #2 you'll see them (the Toyotas) pull him out and the #1 & #3 cylinder rods that went through the oil pan.

I'm glad you guys had a great time.

Later, T.J.
JavaTee is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2009, 05:10 AM   #5
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah....when I was stopped in front of the puddle with the Jeep untested I was REALLY wishing I had a winch mounted on the front

I was also wondering.... if/when you guys break down on pretty rough trails how the heck do you get the Jeep out? Also....what are some of common problems you have out on the trails? What tends to break down the most? Since I drive the Jeep to the trails and it IS my DD I'm worried about busting it up on the trails....but at the same time it's too much fun to NOT take it on the trails.
Unread 08-21-2009, 05:11 AM   #6
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaTee View Post
This is just a fyi, please know where your engine air intake is located. My friend went through that same hole (when the water was a little higher), and hydrolocked his engine YouTube - North meets South UC Uwharrie part 1 #2 you'll see them (the Toyotas) pull him out and the #1 & #3 cylinder rods that went through the oil pan.

I'm glad you guys had a great time.

Later, T.J.
OUCH!!! how deep was it when he went through? It really wasn't too bad when I did. i would never go through anything that was higher than the tires at this point before more mods to be able to do so were added.
Unread 08-21-2009, 07:27 AM   #7
BloodThirsty
Hoosier

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like a great trip. Why no spare though?
BloodThirsty is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2009, 07:32 AM   #8
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodThirsty View Post
Looks like a great trip. Why no spare though?
Because I don't have a spare wheel, tire, OR a carrier to mount them on That's all on my wish list, but my wish list budget is currently $0. Oh, and even if I had all of THOSE items.....I don't have a jack yet either.
Unread 08-21-2009, 07:36 AM   #9
BloodThirsty
Hoosier

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaid5 View Post
Because I don't have a spare wheel, tire, OR a carrier to mount them on That's all on my wish list, but my wish list budget is currently $0. Oh, and even if I had all of THOSE items.....I don't have a jack yet either.

I feel ya bro. What size tires you running? Also your factory jack should do just fine if you had a flat.

Oh yeah fill out your profile.

Anyway that looked like a great time. The best part is you got to hang with your boy.
BloodThirsty is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2009, 08:04 AM   #10
EvilM0nkey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

You didn't take the map I gave you? I had never seen those campsites. Looks neat. Also if something had happened you could have gotten to a ranger easy enough. There isn't much worry about people messing with your Jeep overnight there. More good than bad people there.
EvilM0nkey is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2009, 10:14 AM   #11
0II0
KF4VGI

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Get a CB in the jeep so when you do have probs you can call for help. Most wheelers there in UNF use cbs for the groups. I am in Fayetteville with an 01 and an 8y old son. Shoot me a pm sometime and we can get some wheeling in.

Unread 08-21-2009, 11:42 AM   #12
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodThirsty View Post
I feel ya bro. What size tires you running? Also your factory jack should do just fine if you had a flat.

Oh yeah fill out your profile.

Anyway that looked like a great time. The best part is you got to hang with your boy.
33's and I will fill out my profile. I'm not sure of a lot of the information though. I either have a 3.5 or 4" BDS lift....not sure of gearing or axles but I'm pretty sure they're all stock. I'll fill out what I know now though.
Unread 08-21-2009, 11:46 AM   #13
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilM0nkey View Post
You didn't take the map I gave you? I had never seen those campsites. Looks neat. Also if something had happened you could have gotten to a ranger easy enough. There isn't much worry about people messing with your Jeep overnight there. More good than bad people there.
I took a map that I printed off of their site and I had the one the outpost gave me, which blows IMO. The one I printed off had Falls Dam going off the bottom of the page, so I was ASSUMING that it led to a main road lesson learned

Yeah, I think I like the Badin Lake campsites better. We took a ride over to the Arrowhead campground and everything over there is all nice and purty with a big bathroom and nice landscaping bricks at the campsites. Everything is nice and paved even the trails, but the sites look a LOT smaller. For a tent....I like Badin Lake. If I had a camper I might go over to Arrowhead. Plus Badin Lake is right on the water and if you get one on that side there are two bathrooms REALLY close. Seems like you have to walk a lot further to the big bathroom at Arrowhead.
Unread 08-21-2009, 11:49 AM   #14
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0II0 View Post
Get a CB in the jeep so when you do have probs you can call for help. Most wheelers there in UNF use cbs for the groups. I am in Fayetteville with an 01 and an 8y old son. Shoot me a pm sometime and we can get some wheeling in.

Yeah, I was wondering why I saw a bunch of threads talking about their cb's. I wasn't sure why the heck anyone still used those things.....now I know and that's half the battle

Thanks for the offer. I might have to take you up on that. Do you go wheeling anywhere closer? Do you guys do anything else....4 wheeler, motorcycle....? I'm right off of 95 in Hope Mills.
Unread 08-21-2009, 11:52 AM   #15
tkob1060
2008 JK Wrangler 

looks like you guys had a great time, since you have no spare do you at least have a can of slime tire sealant? or maybe get a tire plug kit and a small air pump, not only for a trail repair but road also.

I wonder what trial you were on that came to a dead end? I am pretty sure there arent any in URE that do, maybe was just hard to see the trail in the dark?

you could have got muddier like I did

I might be going to URE the 29th or 30th not sure yet
tkob1060 is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.