Going to OBX, where can i drive on the beach/have fires?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Going to OBX, where can i drive on the beach/have fires??

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 07-28-2009, 11:12 AM   #1
bortz1892
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Going to OBX, where can i drive on the beach/have fires??

i'm going down on the 15th of august with my friends family...and they were told we can't have fires on the beach, and wanted to take golf clubs instead of firewood. they also told me that you can't drive on the beach there, and discouraged me from taking my jeep. i said, no way i think you're aloud to do both. where are you aloud to have fires/drive on the beach??

bortz1892 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2009, 11:29 AM   #2
NOVA87Wrangler
1987 YJ Wrangler 

There are no fires allowed anywhere down there. Driving on the beach is ok at the northern and southern parts of the island. (Up North in Carova, down south in Nags Head). Check out the OBX website for details

edit: no fires up North but down South you can, check the site.
Unread 07-28-2009, 11:46 AM   #3
BluHeelr
2007 JK Wrangler 

Just got back from the Outer Banks.....I spent a lot of time on the beach and dunes in Corolla. Get on 12 North until it turns to sand. Also, you are allowed to drive in the dunes in a certain location....drive up the beach until you come to the houses that are beach access only(2-3 miles? don't remember what mile post), you should be able to see where other vehicles have entered (a lot of the "driveways", if you follow one up and then head to the left(south) through the neighborhood will lead you back to the dunes and whatnot).

There are signs to "keep out" of most areas, just keep an eye out for those signs. You will find the wild horses milling around, feeding on grass in the yards of those beach access homes....pretty cool...especially if you have any kids with you....might even see them strolling on the beach....just have to stay 50 feet away from them. I'll try to get some pics up of my trip in the new (to me) 4dr Rubi....tired of looking at that pic of my old XJ everytime I get on here.
BluHeelr is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2009, 05:43 PM   #4
bortz1892
1998 TJ Wrangler 

yeeeees. thanks so much guys.
Unread 07-30-2009, 08:06 AM   #5
timbo3875
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Outer Banks

Bortz... your pm mailbox is full so I'll post here.

This info is for Oregon Inlet and South as I know very little about the northern beaches.

Because of closures at some ramps due to birds and turtles, check the following link before you go. It has a breakdown of each ramp onto the beach and shows whats open and closed. The NPS updates this several times a week.

http://www.obpa.org/Documents/Beach%...%20Report_.pdf

Make sure to air down. Take a recovery strap (no metal hooks) with loops and a shovel. If you start spinning,,,,,Stop or you'll dig yourself to the frame.

Ramp 38 is the worst for loose sand.

Also, double check, but I am most certain that NO night driving is allowed between the hours of 10:00 pm and 6:00 am until after September 15. This means no vehicles on the beach. You can be on the beach during these hours, but you must be a pedestrian. I think fires are allowed below the high tide line

Also, follow all standard traffic rules. Seatbelts must be worn (the NPS can and will ticket you). You can consume beer on the beach, but do not have open container in the vehicle. They can also ticket you for DWI so be careful. Speed limit is either 15 or 20 mph.

Let me know if you have more questions..........
timbo3875 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2009, 09:28 AM   #6
YJPirate
1995 YJ Wrangler 

This is a helpful site...

http://www.outer-banks.nc.us/newsinfo/randr.htm#bchdrv
YJPirate is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2009, 11:22 AM   #7
chesapeakcowboy
1986 CJ7 

If your going to just ride on the beach, North end Corolla, if your going to fish the surf Oregon Inlet is a better spot. North end is pretty crowded this time of year, if you are there on a weekend a lot of traffic from the cottages on Sat. and Sun. The rangers will issue tickets for stupid stuff, just use your head and you will be fine. I haven't seen fires down there in a long time, but don't know if its illegal. Biggest thing that aggreviates people is people driving way to fast on the beach, and parking in the middle of the packed sand. There are a lot of families out there enjoying the beach, so the people that want to run 50 mph cause safety issues with the kids. Enjoy the beach, but leave it as we find it and maybe we can keep the epa and other guys off our back..
chesapeakcowboy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2009, 01:42 PM   #8
zatch83
1992 XJ Cherokee 

You can definitely have fires. They have to be below the high tide line though. We have a family reunion there every year in June. Next year, I plan on taking my jeep down to drive on the beach. There are some beaches open to ORVs. Just follow the rules.

I live in Indiana, so I may tow the jeep down instead of driving. It's kinda loud and rumbly. :-D Have fun down there!
..//¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯//
.//_____Jeep____//
|[O]||||||||||[O]|
zatch83 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2009, 07:30 PM   #9
bortz1892
1998 TJ Wrangler 

thanks alot guys, this is all useful information. i found out we are staying in whales head in corolla.
Unread 08-31-2009, 03:48 PM   #10
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I just got back yesterday from a week in Corolla. I probably spent 1/3 of my time driving around on the beach. Found some deep water holes back in the dunes, some almost 3 feet deep. Never got to pull anyone out of the sand this year, but did see a few people stuck or nearly stuck.
Unread 09-01-2009, 10:05 PM   #11
Chester405
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i know for a fact you can drive on cape lookout and ocracroke island. you can have fires too but they will tell you to have them below the high tide line. we would have them in the dunes where the rangers wouldnt see...usually they will drive up and tell you to put it out...but because the beach is so big, the chances of them passing you twice is slim.
Chester405 is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.