First time to Uwharrie!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > First time to Uwharrie!!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 05-04-2009, 12:38 PM   #1
sanchagrins
1998 XJ Cherokee 

First time to Uwharrie!!!

Hey guys! I'm planning my first trip to Uwharrie soon and I was hoping to get a little advice on which trails to hit up and which trials to avoid(for now ). I have seen the trail map on the Uwharrie National Forrest web site, so I have a good idea of whats out there, but I wanted some first hand advice. Also which campsites to use/avoid.

My TJ has a 3.25" lift with 33"x10.50's BFG MT's and my buddy will be taking his WJ with a 2" lift and 31"x10.50 BFG AT's. We have no extra armor and limited recovery gear (2" recovery strap) so we don't want anything too crazy, but we want to get a feel for what Uwharrie has to offer.

I'll be sure to post some pictures once we get back!!!

Thanks!

Unread 05-04-2009, 02:52 PM   #2
BaldHeadedDawg
2005 LJ Wrangler 

URE has side routes on just about every trail that will allow you to bypass anything you're not comfortable doing. With that being said, you should be able to handle every trail. The only one I can't speak to is Daniel because I've avoided it every time I've been out there. I've heard enough horror stories that I'm not taking my daily driver on it.
Unread 05-05-2009, 06:52 AM   #3
sanchagrins
1998 XJ Cherokee 

So avoid Daniel, got it. Does anybody have any favorite trails that I should for sure hit up? Also, are some campsites better than others?
Unread 05-05-2009, 01:15 PM   #4
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Race Rig

2000 TJ Wrangler 

All of the trails I have driven out there have been fun. Daniel is the most fun though because it offers the most obstacles. If you were with a group, I would attempt it, but not by yourself.

Rocky Mountain loop is pretty easy, but has one of the hardest obstacles in the park- Kodak Rock. There is a bypass though, so you don't have to run it.

Here are some picks of my wife and I on Daniel trail:

Unread 05-05-2009, 08:01 PM   #5
greencjxj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

When Are You Planning On Making A Trip To Ure On E Of My Freinds An I Are Heading Up That Way For Memorial Day Weekend If Interested
Unread 05-06-2009, 07:08 AM   #6
sanchagrins
1998 XJ Cherokee 

greencjxj - I'm heading to Uwharrie on Sunday. I might be able to make it down on Memorial Day weekend, but as of now I have to work. If I can get someone to cover my shift I would seriously consider trying to make it down there again! I want to try and go as often as possible!

Anyone else planning on being there this weekend or Memorial Day weekend?
Unread 05-06-2009, 04:14 PM   #7
jeepbub08
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I am trying to make a memorial day run myself, but have to get some welding done on the jeep before I can. (frame rot) so pencil me in. If I don't make it in the jeep the have some form of rock racing going on at uwharrie stables that I might go check out. Either way I will be in the neighborhood!

Eastern NC Jeep Owners #8
Unread 05-06-2009, 05:38 PM   #8
starsjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

whos going to ure this weekend ???

i might be down for a sunday run ,,, I've been there 5 times so far,,

when is mem. day? i might be there that weekend too if i'm not at carolina beach
Unread 05-06-2009, 05:38 PM   #9
starsjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

5 times this year
Unread 05-06-2009, 06:38 PM   #10
sanchagrins
1998 XJ Cherokee 

starsjeep - I'll be there on Sunday. As this thread states it will be my first time(ever) going to Uwharrie so some knowledge of the trails would be appreciated. I'm not looking to do anything to hardcore though as my jeep is my daily driver and I lack armor and proper recovery. Let me know if you are for sure going to be there!
Unread 05-06-2009, 08:53 PM   #11
mightydog78
2013 JK Wrangler 

anybody in here from Winston-Salem or Clemmons???

Charlotte, NC / Southport, NC

Mechanical Engineer
Unread 05-07-2009, 04:18 AM   #12
starsjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

hey guys i'll deff, be there sunday morning we can meet at the outpost

i think you can do all the trails even daniel ,, i have 33's and have run daniels

if not we can ride in my junk and run daniel so u can get a feel for it ,, i've got a winch so i think we could get

out trouble with not too manny issues

anybody else wanna go?
by the way are you guys camping?
Unread 05-07-2009, 06:38 AM   #13
sanchagrins
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I'm not sure if I'm going to camp or not. My fiancee has family that lives in Troy so it depends on the weather. We will probably bring some camping gear just in case, but right now I think are are planning on staying in Troy.

Where is the outpost btw? The only maps I've seen are the ones on the Uwharrie National Forrest web site. I assume its some sort of general store/gas station?

Also whats everyone's opinion on my brother bringing his WJ? Right now he is in DESPERATE need of some new tires(i.e. maybe 10% tread left on 31" BFG AT's). I figured if it was dry there would be a good chance he would have some fun, and then it would give us a fighting chance to get either him or myself unstuck having two vehicles there. But now that it's been raining ALL week and there is a chance of scattered storms all weekend too I was a little worried that he might be wasting a ton of gas for nothing. Opinions?
Unread 05-07-2009, 12:02 PM   #14
greencjxj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I think that he would be fine especailly if he has his heart set on going in his vehicle. When i went 2 weeks ago we had a bone stock tacoma with us that did well but it wasn't wet at all. I would do it if i was him just for the experience but thats my opinion hope it helps.
Unread 05-07-2009, 02:52 PM   #15
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

If its dry you should be able to do Daniel going down. East to west on the map I think. He may scrap his rear bumper on the lower section in a few spots, do WJs have a gas tank skid?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.